Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ash vs. The Evil Dead

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Listen, I have now seen the first two original Evil Dead movies.

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Evil Dead II is one of my all-time favorite movies.
    Remember that time in the horror thread you eviscerated Rob Zombie and Devil's Rejects? Payback is now, motherfucker!

[
    ]
    Last edited by Irish; 07-12-2015 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    [
    ]
    You're in plenty good company.

Producer
    I prefer the first one too, although I would rate them about the same.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Here's a truly radical opinion. I don't think any of them's better than the other. They are all samey quality-wise.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Here's a truly radical opinion. I don't think any of them's better than the other. They are all samey quality-wise.
    Agreed, but for all different reasons. First is pure horror but effects can be dated. Second is less scary but so funny.

Listen, I have now seen the first two original Evil Dead movies.

[
    ]
    Considering The Evil Dead is also one of my all-time favorite movies, I'm completely okay with this.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

- - - - -
    They are all samey quality-wise.
    I assume here you mean "quality-wise" as a euphemism for "entertainment value."

- - - - -
    Also, as a side note: Viewing the originals made me like Army of Darkness and the remake a little bit less.

My biggest negative about AoD is the multiple endings. Both endings rock and I can't pick one.

I assume here you mean "quality-wise" as a euphemism for "entertainment value."
    I think he means quality, as in, both are quality movies.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    My biggest negative about AoD is the multiple endings. Both endings rock and I can't pick one.
    I lean a little bit more toward the S-MART ending. It's not as abrupt. Also happier.

PS: Due to rights issues they are largely ignoring AoD in the TV show's timeline (???). Not a big deal, I guess, because Raimi et al have never cared much about continuity, but still feels a little weird.

I love the entire series but yeah AOD is the weakest one.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

First episode is OK. Raimi's still got it and delivered some great sequences here, but damn, the jokes are terrible. I mean, Ash's character has always had cheesy juvenile humor, but they worked because they're just naughty in a Looney Tunes-way. Making Ash as crass as cable allows him to be kinda just makes his cockiness a little off-putting. Still pretty satisfying to see him in action at the end, though.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    First episode is OK. Raimi's still got it and delivered some great sequences here, but damn, the jokes are terrible. I mean, Ash's character has always had cheesy juvenile humor, but they worked because they're just naughty in a Looney Tunes-way. Making Ash as crass as cable allows him to be kinda just makes his cockiness a little off-putting. Still pretty satisfying to see him in action at the end, though.
    This is Starz-mandated, though, right? They're the ones who pushed for boobs in a catering show.

- - - - -
    To my surprise, I'm enjoying the hell outta this. Cackled like crazy over the second episode (the scene in the car with the deadite and the bottle).

Love the dopey humor. Love the gore. I think they're doing everything right (short episodes, limited run) even if the overall feel of it still panders to fans (those "making of" spots at the end each episode).

The groovy baby business is the exact antithesis of non-horror horror like Scream Queens, AHS: Hotel, and Walking Dead. Thank God.

The shortness is its greatest advantage. These episodes move quick. The first two eps leave you still in a "Nice, now we're getting going, what's next?" momentum when they end, which is an even better incentive than a cliffhanger.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    This is Starz-mandated, though, right? They're the ones who pushed for boobs in a catering show.
    I dunno. Probably not, because it's not a titillating thing like in other Starz shows. There's still no nudity. It's more like it's going for an R-rated comedy vibe, which I never saw as this series' thing. The slapsticky Three Stooges/Pink Panther stuff still works wonderfully because Bruce is just so entertaining doing that, but the whole Ash being wantonly cruel and gross to people and lying to get laid thing isn't getting any laughs from me. Ash getting his eyes poked while fighting a doll does.
    Movie Theater Diary

I dunno. Probably not, because it's not a titillating thing like in other Starz shows. There's still no nudity. It's more like it's going for an R-rated comedy vibe, which I never saw as this series' thing. The slapsticky Three Stooges/Pink Panther stuff still works wonderfully because Bruce is just so entertaining doing that, but the whole Ash being wantonly cruel and gross to people and lying to get laid thing isn't getting any laughs from me. Ash getting his eyes poked while fighting a doll does.
    Oh, I thought you saw butt and a little more in the opening episode when he gets busy with the lady in the bathroom and figured that they doubled down on his "gimme some sugar" BS from Army 'cause they guessed that'd be the least intrusive way to add a sexual element to the show. That was all conjecture, though.

BTW, good for Dominic Dierkes, former member of Derrick Comedy (birthplace of Donald Glover), for writing Episode 2. Very funny, captures the Army voice of Bruce nicely.

- - - - -
    This turned out to be a 4 hour Evil Dead movie—or more specifically, a 4 hour Army of Darkness 2 movie. It is perfect for binge watching. (It does lag a bit in the middle; some of those episodes become repetitive in their structures and plots.)

The last two episodes are a lot of fun. Putting Campbell and Lawless on screen together is inspired). Ash makes a choice that's totally in character and yet completely surprising. My jaw was open. I couldn't believe they did what they did, and that they didn't wimp out with some kind of bullshit dream sequence thing.

Yeah it really gets better as it goes along. Once Ash started caring about others again, it settles nicely into the old vibe and drowns my previous objections. It also incidentally makes the choice in the finale that much better, because it's at once selfish and selfless. This turned out to be a revival that defied the hacky motive of its existence and became a fun lighthearted show on its own.
    Movie Theater Diary

Also, as a side note: Viewing the originals made me like Army of Darkness and the remake a little bit less.
    Army of Darkness is terrible. That's when the filmmakers started buying into the geek-cutlure worship of Bruce Campbell. It is overly silly without any of the inventive scares and weird atmosphere of the originals. It's try-hard camp.

Great, I mean GREAT show. The short running time of the episodes makes it go down like candy.

Lee Majors is ash's dad!! This is such a big deal for a guy who loved The Fall Guy in the 80's. I'm going to wach this show very soon now.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Why didn't anyone tell me how great this show is?

Just watched season 1 in 3 sittings. Good stuff. The dialogue is phenomenal.

Pablo: You know I'm not Mexican, right?

Ash: That's the spirit!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast