Page 136 of 192 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 4792

Thread: What Are You Listening To?

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Sounds like you didn't get my post. I never said he hates gay people. Exactly the opposite. Just like in alot of recent comedies the use of the word "faggot" when it's not applicable "in the haha I'm saying faggot but not too a gay person so it's ok and hilarious" is not funny to me nor do I find it offensive.

The last words I would use to describe his album are "exciting" or "interesting".
    yeah i totally did read it wrong, but i was too lazy to edit

there's really nothing else that sounds like this out there. too much rap music wants to be the next b.o.b. or regress back to the 90s, so it's refreshing to see a kid want to move it forward

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I'm not deep into hip-hop like I once was so I couldn't really make a list of favorite contemporary rappers. Besides the stuff I'm listening or re-listening to for my Wu-Tang thread the only other hip-hop albums I've listened to from 2011 are:

Pharoahe Monch - W.A.R.
    Random Axe - Random Axe

I really like both of them.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Random Axe - Random Axe
    Nice. I wanna hear this one since I like Black Milk a lot. Check out Reks' album from this year - quality stuff and definitely has more of 90s feel to it.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Time - Pink Floyd

The greatest song to listen to while you're high. I should know because that's how I feel right now.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

[youtube]AmYx9jgPLvQ[/youtube]

The Red Shoes (Powell, 1948)
    Manhattan Murder Mystery (Allen, 1993)
    Spring Breakers (Korine, 2012)
    Sydney (Anderson, 1996)
    El ángel exterminador (Luis Buñuel, 1963)

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Nice. I wanna hear this one since I like Black Milk a lot. Check out Reks' album from this year - quality stuff and definitely has more of 90s feel to it.
    It was the amazon deal of the day the day it was released. $2.99 I couldn't refuse.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Random Axe

[youtube]sy4ML5V9SfU[/youtube]

Sydney (Anderson, 1996)

"Pumped Up Kicks" - Foster the People

My vote for Summer '11 anthem.

Quote Quoting endingcredits (view post)
    [youtube]AmYx9jgPLvQ[/youtube]
    Love the song, but not this version.

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    my favorite contemporary rappers:

1. lil b
    2. odd future (tyler the creator, earl sweatshirt, mellowhype)
    3. g-side and the huntsville scene
    4. 1017 brick squad (gucci mane, waka flocka flame)
    5. green ova undergrounds (main attraktionz)
    6. kanye west
    7. young l (of the pack)
    8. soulja boy

raekwon and killer mike put out a couple of really solid albums out this year, but can't say they get me excited. and it sucks that pusha t has basically been neutered into kanye's louis bag carrier

still need to listen to this shabazz palaces album, but i'm not really expecting anything. don't care for digable planets and in general dislike hip hop and jazz fusion (jazzamatazz sux)
    I'm not familiar with most of these guys, but I'm really curious how an absolute disgrace to the whole genre like Soulja Boy can make your list when he hasn't even been around long enough to make any sort of significant impact, minus his one hit and flame war with Ice-T, when guys like Jadakiss and Fabolous are around, who take a giant, steamy shit all over Soulja Boy.

Not trying to be a dick (you have to get at least some ribbing for that), but I'm genuinely curious how you can defend him making the list over other people like Andre 3000.

Yeah, I'd say that Soulja Boy pretty much personifies everything that is wrong with contemporary hip hop, both culturally and musically. He's nearly talentless save for his personal marketing techniques.

But then again, it has previously been established that Acapelli and I have diametrically-opposing views of what good hip hop is.

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    still need to listen to this shabazz palaces album, but i'm not really expecting anything. don't care for digable planets and in general dislike hip hop and jazz fusion (jazzamatazz sux)
    It's a complete departure. Jazzy more like Brainfeeder or Stones Throw, if anything, but it's mainly the unpredictability and frequently jarring minimalism that make it so fresh. Actually, I think it's the only album I can fully get behind so far this year, unless Street Halo counts.

Music has been weird lately.

Soulja Boy? Really? Even his fans don't think he's anywhere in a top ten.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

New release from the Passage Netlabel.

This is very good. Check out track 7.

Great shoegazer from the folks at the BFW netlabel.

Absolutely brilliant.

The album flows organically from more traditional electronica into folk-tronica and other weirdness. Great production with interesting timbres and sounds, pleasant and relaxing while still engaging and memorable.

Highly recommended.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Actually, I think it's the only album I can fully get behind so far this year, unless Street Halo counts.

Music has been weird lately.
    This has been an awesome year for music, probably the best since '07. I think the weirdness lies elsewhere.

Someone took a Carl Sagan's Ghost track and set it to some sad pictures of a junkie, a homeless dude, and some homeless dogs.

[youtube]d7-48ld39WQ[/youtube]

It's always interesting to see/hear what people think of when they consume something that you've created.

Track 9 - "Megazone" - on the Big Spider's Black album is incredible.

This reminds me a lot of my favorite album from last year by Magic Man. I will be listening to this for a long time to come. It's just great sample-based, electronic psychedelic pop.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Over the past year or so I've been working out a lot more and so I've been fashioning my ipod in such a way that the only music on it is uptempo type music. I have a bunch of qualifiers for what can be on the overall mix like even if it's an awesome song if the first 20 seconds are silence I can't have it on there and if the song is just overall slower it can't be on my mix. This is generally how I go about listening to music anyways since I've never been big on lyrics since I don't comprehend them, for me it's more about how it's sung then the content of what is sung. Because of this I've been doing more listening to bands I hadn't really given a try to but I do it with these ideas in place so I just skip slower songs and only go for the more pulse pounding songs. Since I have a lot of music I haven't listened to I've been going through bands quite quickly.

Today is Dream Theater day, I've listened to almost all of their music today.

The Men - Leave Home

[youtube]P_lYl6AO5aA[/youtube]

Sydney (Anderson, 1996)

Quote Quoting endingcredits (view post)
    The Men - Leave Home
    Sunnavabitch! I just got home and was going to post that. Such an awesome album...I was actually listening to it when I hopped on MC.

[youtube]oDoArNOoSso&feature=related[/youtube]

Or for Boner or anyone else looking to really have your eardrums assaulted...

[youtube]4VKsjmFD-bk&feature=related[/youtube]

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Sunnavabitch! I just got home and was going to post that. Such an awesome album...I was actually listening to it when I hopped on MC.
    Haha, you got scooped! But yeah, I just got into these guys recently after going home to New York for a weekend. The album is unrelentingly intense and genre defying. After listening to it the whole way through a few consecutive times I feel like I need a valium or something; it's just brutally awesome.

Sydney (Anderson, 1996)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBTuyF1T7zA[/youtube]

Good Arms Vs Bad Arms, Frightened Rabbit.
    Plead the fifth, Sip wine stiffly
    Patiently come up and be spiffy in a jiffy
    Gift for the grind, Criminal mind shifty
    Swift with the nine through a fifty nine fifty.

Quote Quoting Mr. Pink (view post)
    I'm not familiar with most of these guys, but I'm really curious how an absolute disgrace to the whole genre like Soulja Boy can make your list when he hasn't even been around long enough to make any sort of significant impact, minus his one hit and flame war with Ice-T, when guys like Jadakiss and Fabolous are around, who take a giant, steamy shit all over Soulja Boy.

Not trying to be a dick (you have to get at least some ribbing for that), but I'm genuinely curious how you can defend him making the list over other people like Andre 3000.
    ever since soulja boy hooked up with lil b, i feel like he's improved tremendously. he's always been a great swagger jacker (before lil b, he was biting brick squad's style) and an incredible producer (listen to this: [youtube]sUcr24DFxvA[/youtube], that drum pattern is incredible even if his rapping is substandard). He's still really young, and i see a lot of potential. then again, i actually really liked crank dat when it came out (i even remember when it was only a regional hit and making the rounds on the blogs and i was bumping it) and been a big fan of pretty much all his singles

guys like fabolous and jadakiss make the same albums over and over again, they bore me. you've heard one, you've heard them all. the east coast scene is so stagnant right now. but i haven't heard the latest fab tape though i've heard good things

also, keep in mind that wasn't an all time list. just stuff that i dig currently from artists that are still generating music on a regular basis. all of the above have released something in 2011. and to be clear, pretty sure none of these guys would be in my all-time list (maybe lil b)

as for andre3000, i love it when he raps, but he seems to only drop the occasional guest verse here and there