Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marvel's Agent Carter (Season 1)

Yessssssss.

Also, they are adorable.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Perhaps it's because the past shows that I've seen have all blown me away with their thrilling storylines and high-impact drama, but Agent Carter, though by no means bad, just feels like lesser television. One of my complaints about a lot of Marvel movies is how their outcome always seems predestined. There's no real danger, never a true sense that shit could go wrong. Age Ultron was described as the one where stuff would go really sour, really dark, but nope, didn't feel that either. Still, there's always the huge spectacle to at least make me have a pretty fun time at the movies. Agent Carter, sadly can't even match that.

Saw episode 5 today and things do seemed to be picking up for a while with the arrival of the Howling Commandos. Pretty cool, but the mission itself was a dud. There was zero tension, but I'm intrigued by some of the show's more mysterious aspects so it's something I'm gonna finish off no matter what.

Yes, I like seeing Hayley Atwell, she really seems into the character, but I'm not yet convinced by anything surrounding her.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Perhaps it's because the past shows that I've seen have all blown me away with their thrilling storylines and high-impact drama, but Agent Carter, though by no means bad, just feels like lesser television. One of my complaints about a lot of Marvel movies is how their outcome always seems predestined. There's no real danger, never a true sense that shit could go wrong. Age of Ultron was described as the one where stuff would go really sour, really dark, but nope, didn't feel that either. Still, there's always the huge spectacle to at least make me have a pretty fun time at the movies. Agent Carter, sadly can't even match that.

Saw episode 5 today and things do seemed to be picking up for a while with the arrival of the Howling Commandos. Pretty cool, but the mission itself was a dud. There was zero tension, but I'm intrigued by some of the show's more mysterious aspects so it's something I'm gonna finish off no matter what.

Yes, I like seeing Hayley Atwell, she really seems into the character, but I'm not yet convinced by anything surrounding her.
    And...I was wrong. From episode 6 onwards everything got kicked into high gear. All of a sudden the tension was there, the stakes felt palpable, stuff got really freaky (The theater), moving (Dooley), and
    I began to laugh at all the banter between Jarvis and Carter. And just like the movies, there's a cool coda to wrap it all off.

That being said, I must, and will, deduct half a star for the innumerable occasions when a character holding another at gunpoint, and thus clearly having the upper hand, got too close and hereby allowing the other to turn the tables.

And considering it's a TV show not financed by HBO, I must say they really brought the 40's back to life rather splendidly and authentically.

Roll on season 2 then.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Kurtwood Smith a regular in S2!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Just started this. Can't believe it took me this long.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Only 8 episodes but wow. What an excellent idea. I'm saddened this was cut to only two seasons as this might be the best Marvel TV series they have created.

Loved everything about this.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Yeah, even in the more wobbly second season (plotting-wise, if I recall correctly), I remember the series feel so effortlessly charming and fun. Sad too that it was gone after two seasons.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

We named our dog Peggy after Agent Carter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12