Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel's Agent Carter (Season 1)

Marvel's Agent Carter (Season 1)

Guuuuys I am twenty minutes in and I think this might be my favorite new show. Good fun, strong lead, stylish retro fashions, wigs. The characters all feel well-drawn and charming. And would you believe I forgot Enver Gjokaj is in this? He is SO HANDSOME AND TALENTED and if he's not in every episode I'm going to throw something.

Sidenote: I never found Chad Michael Murray even the least bit handsome or compelling, but that retro hair is fantastic on him and he should never change it.

There will probably be tiresome endless think pieces on it, but Peggy's era-appropriate body type is smoking hot.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, this is loads of fun. James D'Arcy gets special mention for taking a stock character (fussy British butler) and making him winning, individual, and a bit dashing.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Dina and I are loving it too so far. Loads of well known faces in the openers, too. Loved seeing Royo, Wise and Frain again. I also forgot that Gjokaj was in this, and Fonseca as well. <3

This is just ace. Everything Peggy does is amazing. Everything she wears is amazing.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Dina and I are loving it too so far. Loads of well known faces in the openers, too. Loved seeing Royo, Wise and Frain again. I also forgot that Gjokaj was in this, and Fonseca as well. <3
    So many faces. Devin Ratray and Kevin Hefferman were the most unexpected for me.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Couldn't watch it live so we recorded it.

Watched it last night. Loved it! Fun, dashing and charming, just like its look. Seriously...Peggy Atwell wears everything well, regardless of style or color.

James d'Arcy was wonderful. I love the mini bromance that's blossoming there, and although I know its part of the Marvel cinematic universe, it was nice to see flashbacks to the first CA film instead of them just talking about them, and the little intercut bits with the Captain America radio show were well placed.

Also, as a bonus:

When Peggy went to work the first time (with that smashing red ensemble and killer hat), both me and my fiancee' said "God, she's hot" at the same time. I laughed, then my fiancee' said "threesome here we come!"

I was shocked. She's never ever talked about that kind of stuff before. She's probably joking, but damn did it catch me off guard :lol:

I think it's also a testament to how commanding Atwell is in the role that Carter's eventual fate in Winter Soldier never even occurred to me while watching the show, despite the constant reminders to Captain America.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Not quite as strong as the two intro episodes, and we're about to have the most "duh" female Hydra agent at the inn, but Atwell rocks this, the costumers are delivering, and the series is getting a little more complex about how culture juggled masculinity (calling the wife, [pause], and the girlfriend).

Looking forward to seeing how this continues.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Yeah, I noticed that this episode is still tackling the sexism, but getting into more subtle territory than just everyone treating her as a secretary. Carter's moment of weakness where she thought solving the case would earn her respect at the workplace, and Jarvis' reminder that it wouldn't change anything was pretty powerful, and Atwell sold her realization without even a single line of dialogue.

Also how Sousa gets accused of being in love with Carter just because he doesn't think less of her.
    Movie Theater Diary

There's something weird about the fact that we haven't seen Anna. I thought she maybe didn't exist, but we heard her voice, so. ..

Time to backtrack on the subtlety of the sexism on yesterday's episode. There's something off about bemoaning how straightjackted women's sexuality is at the same time that Howard Stark bangs anything that moves here; while the show tries to make Stark's character traits a genuine flaw, it's criticism is undermined by the laughable way it doesn't offer any actual critique. His excursions are all but treated with a drum rimshot.

Yes, Agent Carter's noting a double standard, but the show doesn't do anything interesting with that intersection.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

This week had a slow and monotone first half, wherein Peggy has to endure stereotyping at work and then prove her actual worth; these scenes had a little too self-congratulatory air to them, as if they exist solely to let us know that this show's about women's equality. And it should highlight those issues, but something in the writing and general conception of Peggy's ordeal to get over to Europe came off as too arid and artificial. I suspect this is largely because of Murray's relatively static portrayal. Gjokaj doesn't have these issues, both because he's smarter at his job and because he's not a walking billboard of "enjoy our comeuppance after we doubt women's value."

Around the halfway mark, things settled down and the show became stronger. It's strongest when just dealing with Atwell, Gjokaj, and D'Archy; the rest is just sideshow antics.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Yeah, this episode got reallllllly fun in the second half.

Fantastic episode. The pacing of this show is just great.

I love Atwell's expression when she told Jarvis why she has to go back to her apt.
    Movie Theater Diary

Dammit but this show is fun.

Wow. If that is [
    ], this show really is much more Captain America related than they initially marketed it to be. I appreciate the sneakiness, though, because it's been one pleasure after another with the revelations. Can't wait to see what's in store for the finale.
    Movie Theater Diary

Huh. Carter was sidelined for about half of the finale, which was awkward. Stark's re-emergence marginalized her, and in juggling multiple narrative threads, Atwell's character had little to do for much of this final episode.

I'd like to see the show explore more of her relationships with women if it comes back for another season. Certainly good stories that could come out of it, but this write-up does capture some of my critiques of the show as it presently stands.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Overall, this series was quality. I love the cast, the characters, and the building of the Marvel universe. I really, really want a second season.

Weird. Hayley Atwell decided to dress up as Peggy for her driver's license photo.

Movie Theater Diary

Second season synopsis:

Marvel’s Agent Carter’ returns for a second season of adventure and intrigue, starring Hayley Atwell in the titular role of the unstoppable secret agent for the SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve). Dedicated to the fight against new atomic age threats in the wake of World War II, Peggy must now journey from New York City to Los Angeles for her most dangerous assignment yet. But even as she discovers new friends, a new home — and perhaps even a new love — she’s about to find out that the bright lights of the post-war Hollywood mask a more sinister threat to everyone she is sworn to protect.
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'm so following her now.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Booooooo if this means no more Enver.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Unless they both go. Doesn't say anywhere that they don't.

Carter and Souza Do America.
    Movie Theater Diary

Last edited by [ETM]; 05-16-2015 at 09:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast