Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Future Alien Film Discussion

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What ratio should be used to determine a successful movie then? 3:1 4:1? If it's not a hard number like $100 million then what do we use to gauge success.
    The old rule of thumb suggested 3 times the production budget.

But the reality is that every territory is different and every film is a negotiation. The studios get their biggest cut from the U.S. box office (around 85 or 90%). Everywhere else, it depends on the deal.

On bigger movies, producers take their fees up front and stars will have points, too, that the studio has to pay out before they profit.

This video lays out how distribution works in China, where the take is often smaller. Sometimes the U.S studio might walk away with only 25% --- or worse, sell the film for a flat fee. (But the entertainment press and sites like Box Office Mojo will never tell you that.)

Is Endgame successful?
    I heard that Disney spent $250 million just on advertising for that picture, which means its real cost was probably around $500-550 million.

So it's hard to say if it was a "success" --- unless you view it as loss leaders for toy sales.

Didn’t Jack Nicholson’s Joker role pioneer (or at least popularize) that type of deal, where the actor takes a % of profit rather than an upfront salary?

Endgame had a budget of $356 million, lol. Insane. Figure double the cost for advertising/press, so maybe around $700 million?

Still made $2.6 billion all said and done, so... Spend money to make money.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Endgame had a budget of $356 million, lol. Insane. Figure double the cost for advertising/press, so maybe around $700 million?

Still made $2.6 billion all said and done, so... Spend money to make money.
    Yeh but of that $356 how much of that was from also filming Infinity War back to back?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Didn’t Jack Nicholson’s Joker role pioneer (or at least popularize) that type of deal, where the actor takes a % of profit rather than an upfront salary?
    His deal received a lot of press at the time (he made something like $60 million off "Batman," and that's in 1989 money).

I'm not exactly sure when it started, but I do know Alec Guiness got points as part of his agreement to appear in "Star Wars."

Yeh but of that $356 how much of that was from also filming Infinity War back to back?
    Since B.O.M. doesn't list A:I.W. budget, I would probably say you're right and thats the combined production budget of both. Still seems a bit low, but they'll never open books for us to truly know the answers to these questions.

- - - - -
    If the total was $356, that would put each individual film's production cost in the ballpark of "Iron Man" and "Captain America."

But "Infinity War" is ~6 hours long and visually complex, with oodles more CGI. No way that budget is for both.

Yeah, you're not wrong, but those boys from Cleveland know how to stretch a dollar!

What would you estimate budget was?

Probably $500 mil for both (not including marketing)

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Scott still wants to make his third prequel film.

“What I always thought when I was making the first one [was] why would a creature like this be made and why was it traveling in what I always thought was a kind of war-craft, which was carrying a cargo of these eggs. What was the purpose of the vehicle and what was the purpose of the eggs? That’s the thing to question – who, why, and for what purpose is the next idea, I think,”
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ey-scott-alien

This man needs to be stopped. By any means necessary.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    This man needs to be stopped. By any means necessary.
    I love his sci-fi. So I say the opposite. He just needs his characters to be a bit more fleshed out. And without RIpley now.. maybe a strong male protagonist at this point instead of abandoning the two female protagonists?

I love his sci-fi. So I say the opposite. He just needs his characters to be a bit more fleshed out. And without RIpley now.. maybe a strong male protagonist at this point instead of abandoning the two female protagonists?
    Me too and I can still love his earlier work, but this is becoming too much 'old-man-wants-to-desperately-stay-relevant-and-thus-hangs-on-for-dear-life-to-his-best-known-property.'

Neither Covenant or Prometheus were downright bad, but recapturing old glory is something which eluded him so far. That quote you posted above, isn't that the exact same one that prompted Ridley Scott to embark on a new Alien adventure, which then resulted in Prometheus?

So how can he claim that's gonna be the next idea?
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    but this is becoming too much 'old-man-wants-to-desperately-stay-relevant-and-thus-hangs-on-for-dear-life-to-his-best-known-property.'
    I dont get this feeling at all. In fact, if anything, he's adding so much world-building to sci-fi even WITHOUT the presence of alien. Prometheus feels so authentic and has so much weight to everything that is on screen. The ships, the technology, and everything about the androids.

Remember, it was FOX that pushed for the alien-like create at the end of Prometheus. Not Scott.

The next idea is mainly centered around David and AI. The Aliens just happen to be around.

Duke what did you think of Covenant?

Scott still wants to make his third prequel film.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ey-scott-alien
    I hope it happens but I um am really biased.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Duke what did you think of Covenant?
    Loved it. Probably an inflated score, but it would take a lot for me to drop it down the list under Alien 3 and Resurrection.

Resurrection is totally underrated btw and super fun even if the premise is by far the worst in the franchise.

I so bad want to love Covenant as much as I do Prometheus but I struggle to even enjoy it. I'm all for more Scott sci-fi though. I wish he would make sci-fi the rest of his career.

I found Covenant problematic, but that first, umm.."back burst" (?) scene is freaking brutal.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567