Thread: A Top 100 Project

A Top 100 Project

I'm going to be putting together a list of a Top 100 albums, that I can get on good quality vinyl. It's been a long time since I've had a vinyl collection, and now I want to put together a precisely curated collection of only what I consider to be the best. I realize that some albums in my top 100 may not be available on good quality vinyl, so I'll make substitutions with things that are.

This is going to take me a couple of years, probably.

Anyhow, I ordered the first piece yesterday:

http://www.mofi.com/product_p/mofi1-034.htm

As soon as it arrives, and I listen to it a few times, I can post a review.

I'm finding that there are going to be more than a few things on my top 100 that aren't on vinyl, or are very expensive now. However, I've also discovered that some of things on my list are getting reissued on vinyl soon, and I'm sure more will follow.

For example: Roger Waters' Amused to Death and The Red House Painters Down Colorful Hill are both being reissued in the next few months.

Forgot I needed to get a phono preamp before I can listen to my records.

Ordered one this morning.

Went record shopping on Sunday, it was fun. It's been about 10 years since I've gone to a record store with a list of stuff to buy.

I was surprised by how much new vinyl there is; I was expecting to get stuff used, but I ended up getting new copies of everything (even old music).

Also, vinyl albums ain't cheap! They must be marking up the prices to take advantage of this exploding market. But it does feel good to give my business to small, local store rather than some big online retailer.

I picked up some really good albums, and I'm looking forward to listening to and reviewing them.