Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Surprised there isn't a thread for this one.

This was terrific. Tense as fuck. When Simmons and Teller aren't on screen together, it becomes serviceable, but those moments are very sparse.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Surprised there isn't a thread for this one.

This was terrific. Tense as fuck. When Simmons and Teller aren't on screen together, it becomes serviceable, but those moments are very sparse.
    You can clearly see everything that's happening here, but Simmons, Teller, and the jazz work so well that it is a good movie. Like wats says, everything outside of that is kind of serviceable. Lame in a way.

But it does work.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I was able to suspend disbelief, but no way a teacher is able to get away with his comments in this day and age.

If this took place in the late 80's to 90's, it'd make sense.

I won't take that as a hit in the movie, just something I thought about in reflection .

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yay for the performances and the high-wire intensity of the mood which is sustained admirably for much of the running time. Nay for some of the second-half plot contrivances.

[
    ]
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Yay for the performances and the high-wire intensity of the mood which is sustained admirably for much of the running time. Nay for some of the second-half plot contrivances.

[
    ]

Agreed actually, even if it was just another "test."

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I don't see how the end is a contrivance. [
    ]
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I don't see how the end is a contrivance. [
    ]
    [
    ]
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

This was thrilling and the sort of acting showcase for Simmons that rewards a solid career. As others noted, it becomes less breathtaking whenever Simmons and Teller aren't coexisting on the screen. The female relationship is treated like so much disposable trash, and while that mentality certainly exists, it feel too patented, rather than fully earned. Largely because the film is reluctant to commit to her and Teller's relationship in any meaningful way; she exists simply so that she can be dumped.

The ending and the desire to [
    ]
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Lot of feelings on this one. On the one hand, completely admire that this film devotes itself to the development of a skill and recognizes how difficult that can be (the old 10,000 hours skill-acquiring is typically coasted over in a montage in most movies), but not so sure I'm onboard with either lead character as a useful symbol of dream-catchery. Then again, the film may be ambivalent about the whole situation - Fletcher's argument in that coffee shop could play as a mission statement for the film... or him self-justifying his own mild form of sociopathy (the fact that it might be both is disturbing).

The drum sequences manage to stay interesting through the hundred-odd minutes, which is no easy task. Whipping back and forth between Fletcher and Andrew is a nice visual highlight. I agree that the girlfriend could've been managed better, and the film might've been better in general to spend a shade more time showcasing how his drumming completely isolates him from meaningful human contact, but Andrew doesn't care, so I suppose the film doesn't either.

What I keep thinking about is that idea that Fletcher has, that someone needs to be prodded to the point of death-threats in order to achieve their best. Andrew counters by asking how many Fletcher's discouraged from being "a great" with his tactics. Fletcher says none, because a great wouldn't get discouraged. Which brings up a question that goes unanswered: would a "great" musician really take "good job" as incentive to settle? Or would they say, "Cool, let's see if I can do better"? Simmons' line is a great one, but I think it finally says more about him than it does about the threat of everyone-gets-a-medal culture.

Regarding the late-film plot twists:

[
    ]

- - - - -
    I like the start and end of this but not so much the middle.

I agree with others that said it feels contrived. I think it feels contrived because there's no good way to photograph the personal sacrifice and emotional turmoil that comes with producing great art. Maybe Amadeus came closest. Maybe the Fabulous Baker Boys.

They backed themselves into a corner early with a protagonist who (1) only ever wants one thing, and it's something that he can't achieve on his own and (2) making him so completely single minded. There's no where to go, dramatically, with a character like that.

The girlfriend doesn't work because if the kid were as determined as the film makes him out to be, he never would have asked the her out in the first place. If he were as focused, he wouldn't, at 19, lose sheet music, misplace his sticks, or be late for competitions.

The plot turns read better as metaphor. That truck isn't a truck but a symbol of the obstacles life throws at you as you persue your dreams. The problem for me was that, well, I was stuck reading all this great realism -- the band practices, the music -- as metaphor. It's less interesting that way. But the script doesn't leave much choice with dinner party scenes where someone asks the kid, point blank, "Do you have any friends?" That moment struck me as necessary but inelegant in a movie that reaches for perfect tempo and pitch everywhere else. There's great drama in the studio but outside it, the film never doesn't know how to say what it wants to say, so it blurts out subtext and themes in dialogue.

For a movie that sells this message about the hard work and perseverance, it bends over backwards to make sure the kid isn't responsible for every bad thing that happens to him. Up until the third act, the plot is arbitrary. It stacks the deck to a ridiculous degree. I think that's why, despite the music and the performances, I choked on the larger experience.

I loved this although I felt it was a darker take on the search for relevance and meaning, the desire for fame and respect that was at the center of Birdman. The two also have commanding main performances and a jazzy style score. However I find Birdman to be more interesting even as Whiplash is complex in dealing with Andrew and Fletcher's masochistic relationship.

The scene where Andrew snaps at his brothers was very telling. I didn't care for the parts with Nichole because they were kind of dull and pointless. We already know that Andrew has no connections to other people. So I get what that was supposed to mean but it didn't work. Also the jazz club scene could have been cut.

Otherwise this is a disturbing and intense film. I liked the ending too, which had plenty of drum soloing heh. Also this film and Wild both are films that involve the main characters pushing themselves beyond the limits of the human pain threshold to achieve something they are striving for.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    The scene where Andrew snaps at his brothers was very telling. I didn't care for the parts with Nichole because they were kind of dull and pointless. We already know that Andrew has no connections to other people. So I get what that was supposed to mean but it didn't work. Also the jazz club scene could have been cut.
    I'll take issue on the latter point here. If the jazz club scene is cut, Simmons ends up playing at just one register for the whole film. The jazz club scene situates a gentler, more humane character for Fletcher and allows Neimann to believe that Fletcher isn't just about humiliation. There's a level of impotence that both characters explore in their dialogue in this scene, which is necessary to establish the varying degrees of Neimann's submission in the coda. That is, will Neimann submit to Fletcher's humiliation in public, will he struggle to hold himself above the fray, etc.

The more I think about this film, the more I think there's an interesting dynamic that goes underexplored between Neimann and his father. Something in his environment/biology already made him this way before his interactions with Fletcher; the film could have interestingly suggested that Reiser is responsible for some of that.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I suppose that's true even though I still feel that Fletcher was semi humanized during the Sean Casey scene. The jazz club feels a bit too much like an exercise to move the plot forward towards the final act. I liked the ending (and I was surprised that Reiser was in this) as its absolutely brutal and hard to watch. I also found it interesting how [
    ]

Andrew is desperate to escape his family's limitations. That said I found Birdman and Whiplash to for now leaving me just a bit unsatisfied near the conclusion. I can't explain it really.

PS: During the second half I was reminded of an old saying: "The fall is gonna kill yah."

PPS: I liked Wats saying (I think it was him) that Fletcher is a Sith lord. After all he's always dressed in black.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I enjoyed this dramatically but it's also bullshit. Jazz drummers don't bleed like that and having him actually experience whiplash from a car accident was so on the nose. The female lead is also under written.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

58/100

One-note and manipulative, though moderately effective in its own way. Simmons is so integral to whatever success it has that the rest of the film around him just seems like padding so that it could be feature length. Instead, interesting avenues like the family dynamics and the girlfriend are raised and then dropped so that we can move onto some more shouting.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Okay, I want this to win Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I was able to suspend disbelief, but no way a teacher is able to get away with his comments in this day and age.
    But he didn't get away with it.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    He'd clearly been getting away with it for years.

My first four star film since The Wolf of Wall Street. Yeah, I get what some of you are saying. I was thinking whether, after the car accident, that was a sign of the enduring nature of the human spirit or whether I merely saw someone channeling his inner Chigurh. So it's a little manipulative. Fuck it. At least I'm feeling it. So he's bleeding all over his drum set. I felt nearly uncomfortable watching him go at it, face contorted in something approaching agony. So Fletcher's over the top. But at least he's a presence, a force of nature, it works. Surprised at how moved I was when Nicole told Andrew she'd have to ask her boyfriend if she could attend the jazz festival. Perhaps ***½ would be more apt, but I'm too exhilarated to care right now.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

In one word, overrated.

I don't really get the praise. Sure, J.K. Simmons is stellar, that Reed Richards Jr. kid is great and that's a memorable montage of Caravan, but the story is glorified Hollywood bullshit. An extended Pai Mei training sequence set to drums. I mainly take issue with the assumption that this little prize-seeking movie is saying anything at all meaningful about art, personal sacrifice or the search for perfection. It's just a manipulative drama which only works until it becomes unintentionally funny, which happens often.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 02-20-2015 at 05:04 PM.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Hank Levy is a pretty big deal around the Baltimore area to this day with many of his former Towson University students involved in the music education field. I myself met him a few times in high school and he even led a little jazz jam session we did my junior year (not long before he died) and he worked with me on the saxophone. I didn't realize the title and the jazz work in this film is his splendid "Whiplash" tune. Highly intrigued, especially since it appears to be worth the look.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I was thinking that Chazelle is lucky to be able to direct this himself, because this script could easily be mis-made into a movie about determination and the pursuit of greatness, rather than what the cinematography and editing tells me, which is a tragedy about loneliness. The movie ends on a crescendo but it seems obvious that it's telling us one of them will end up dead soon.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Well midway through the film reveals that [
    ]
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

It's also not just that Fletcher has [
    ], calling into question his sincerity in all of his "likable" scenes (I even shuddered when he was being cute with the little girl). I strongly disagree whenever I hear people describe this movie as a movie about "a music student and an emotionally abusive teacher" (which is often) because Andrew himself is portrayed as having a real nasty streak, rather than just an ambitious kid. There's a lot of body language stuff happening with Teller in the family dinner and dating scenes, like he just doesn't have the patience for any of it and is disgusted by the mediocrity he sees in other people. I don't think Nicole is meant to illustrate what he has to give up to succeed, because if that's the case, we would have seen more of what attracts him to her in order to stress the sacrifice. Instead, their first date is him looking down on her and her lack of ambitions and physically withdrawing from her, and she's the one who makes the move with the shot of her foot touching his. Then we skip everything else and the next time we see her, he's dumping her with the most condescending and psychopathic excuse. The whole movie seems to me more like a portrait of two socially maladjusted people who are content with creating puffed up delusions about themselves by focusing their anger and dissatisfaction at each other. The movie ends with them collaborating on stage not because it's a moment of victory, but because there's literally nowhere else for them to go.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast