Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whiplash (Damien Chazelle)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I. Absolutely. Love. That. Analysis. 8.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I don't like the movie, but yeah, it's obvious the kid is meant to be a total dick.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The whole movie seems to me more like a portrait of two socially maladjusted people who are content with creating puffed up delusions about themselves by focusing their anger and dissatisfaction at each other. The movie ends with them collaborating on stage not because it's a moment of victory, but because there's literally nowhere else for them to go.
    This. On RT I called it a romance about two obsessive maniacs who find and deserve each other. The performance at the end is their version of sex.

I mean...I'm racking my brain trying to figure out a scenario where Fletcher wouldn't be fired after a few months, or even a few weeks. I guess it's possible, but having worked in higher ed, it would be a huge stretch.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Saw this really late so don't know if anyone cares about this movie anymore. One of the best things I've been in a while. Thought it was really well done the way they subtly (and often times not to subtly - which is why those scenes with the girl made absolute sense) hinted at the kid being on the spectrum.

Does everyone still love this or is this like Looper, which I don't see the internet mention much anymore.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    Saw this really late so don't know if anyone cares about this movie anymore. One of the best things I've been in a while. Thought it was really well done the way they subtly (and often times not to subtly - which is why those scenes with the girl made absolute sense) hinted at the kid being on the spectrum.

Does everyone still love this or is this like Looper, which I don't see the internet mention much anymore.
    I liked it more and more, to the point that it's my favorite film of last year. I see it mentioned quite a bit on Reddit.

Conflict is drama, and this certainly has it in spades. Making the protagonist a borderline sociopath mirroring his antagonist was an inspired touch and a tricky element to pull off. It thankfully avoids the trap of devolving into trope-y "there's more to life" idealism. Ultimately, however, I'm not sure there's more here than pure tension. Every scene featuring Andrew and Fletcher going at it is pin-droppingly taut, but I'm not sure the other emotional beats really land. Andrew's interactions with both his father and girlfriend are woefully underwritten and/or inconsistent. It seems the father is intended to be extremely paternal one moment, and in the next, he's ruthlessly throwing verbal jabs at him over dinner. (I get he was being an asshole, but what?) Each scene with the girlfriend feels like plot-point fulfillment rather than organic creation. Character doesn't really exist here outside the two leads, but honestly, the conflict present whenever they're in a room together is so good it almost doesn't matter. If nothing else, it is a compelling example of how an entire feature can be more or less carried by two guys in a room arguing over tempo.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

The parts with the girlfriend and parents sure seem like something that got developed out of "script notes" or "reviews."

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

True. But at least it gave me some Paul Reiser time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12