Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Affair (Season 1)

I'm not sure how I feel about this show as a whole.

But Maura Tierney is killing it. Cuttie nom from me for sure.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Even though they continue to be some of the worst people at having an affair and keeping it a secret (I'm not a woman but how do you leave your bra and not notice?) I'm still loving this show.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I'm a fan. The believable emotions at its core help anchor it when it feels like it might go adrift in ostentatiously literary writing. The Leftovers had a few great episodes, but the depiction of grief in this is so much better, and it's one of my favorite aspects of the series. It feels raw and palpable. I also much prefer this series' nuanced treatment of man's-reaction-to-feeling-emasculated to Breaking Bad's.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Side note: I have always found secondary drowning terrifying, and this show hasn't helped.

This last episode gets an A+. Some seriously great writing and acting and direction.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

I don't think the series has successfully justified being 10 episodes. It probably would be even stronger pared down to 6. Still, the craft of it is just terrific. Incredibly believable decisions, the mystery is genuinely intriguing. It may end up being really obvious, but that just adds to the believability of the whole thing. I've stopped caring about Wilson's spotty accent, because she's just too good at everything else. I'm pretty damn anxious to see the finale.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Just watched the finale.

The following doesn't actually spoil anything that happens in the episode but just in case you don't want to know anything about the it: [
    ]

The two timelines continue to be an intriguing device, though. You can really see the root of the differences by positioning them with each character's defensiveness.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Disappointing ending. There's no reason this story should have continued into a second season. It would have been much better if they'd ditched the murder-mystery aspect and tightened the plotting (by eliminating the drug subplot and reducing the number of "they're together, now they're not together" cycles, for example). The mystery always felt like a digression from the interesting character work. Even when it was more a "who has ended up with whom/who's the father of Alison's second kid?" guessing game rather than a "what's this murder all about?" one, it felt gimmicky and contrived, and it distracted from the real drama. [
    ]
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

I personally don't think the show lived up to its promise. It started as a thoughtful character study and ended up gimmicky, sudsy, and repetitious. I will probably not be checking in with the second season. It's not horrible, but I'm not sure it's worth my time.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12