Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Affair (Season 1)

The Affair (Season 1)

Wow.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I have this recorded and am really looking forward to watching it, hopefully tonight. The reactions on here and elsewhere have my already high expectations reaching incredible levels.

Pretty good. Pretty, pretty good.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    This looks great but I don't want to watch the pilot and then have to wait a year to watch the rest.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

This is peripheral to the pilot (which was amazing.)

The oldest daughter on the show is played by Julia Goldani Telles, who I became really struck with when she was in Bunheads a couple of years back. She started off really shaky as an actor but improved dramatically over the course of the one season and was really focus-pulling and emotive by the end. I knew I had posted how compelling she was, and I found this post from 2012:

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I'm still watching Bunheads... alone... which is okay, because I'm not sure any of you would enjoy it. But I feel the need to post this sequence, because it occurred to me during this scene that this kid is going to be a star someday. You heard it here first.

She's still working on that "acting" thing, but I think she's about sixteen. She has time to figure it out.
    The link I posted in there is broken, but it was this sequence:

...and the milk's in me.

Most of the reviews and talking pieces I'm reading about this show assume that there's going to be a binary he/she narration, but I personally would be surprised if we don't have episodes from multiple characters' points of view.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I believe the he/she binary approach was revealed by the creators prior to air. At least, I think that's what I read, unless the author of the interview was also making an assumption within the interview.

I just got the first four episodes. Will watch tonight and report if there is?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I just got the first four episodes. Will watch tonight and report if there is?
    Would you? I mean, spoiler it in case anyone doesn't want to know, but I'm quite curious.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, I'm okay with knowing as well. Thanks, 8.

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    This looks great but I don't want to watch the pilot and then have to wait a year to watch the rest.
    Good news. I just bought access to someone's Showtime Anytime account for $15 for the year so I'll be watching this tonight!
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Answer: [
    ]

The fourth episode does something very stylistically interesting by having the POV switch [
    ]

This left me cold. The first episode wasn't anything to write home about. The structural originality isn't taken advantage of in ways that are particularly artful. This first episode is at its best when the conflicts are subtle [
    ], though they'll need to work the criminal plot line pretty hard in order to justify some of the more glaring factual inconsistencies [
    ]. Especially given all the narrative experimentation happening right now, I felt like this was one of the more forced and unfruitful storytelling exercises of the year. More technically, the pseudo-artistic B-roll was silly and they're not doing themselves any favors with the obtuse ambiguity (I semi-expected there to be subtitles indicating when we should make a detective's note).

Still, there's a ton of potential here and I'll be anticipating future episodes. The acting is uniformly strong, with the two leads appropriately stealing the show. The commentary about social and marital mores holds much promise, as long as they can tone down the Drama and stick more to subtle, visual hints that give the audience some credit.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

My most interesting take away from this episode is that what we're seeing is not reflective of what Noah and Alison are telling the police officer. They are telling the officer some things, but what we see play out is instead their memory of what happened (since these two things contradict each other.)

I feel like they're setting up that Cole is the dead man, but I'm doubting that's true since it seems early to give that away.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, it's an interesting contrast to True Detective, which has the element of unreliable narrator, but the flashbacks are meant to be flashbacks, as in they're 100% accurate. I like that you start to see some logic in the differences as you go on, too.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Show was going great until [
    ]. We'll see where it goes.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Show was going great until [
    ]. We'll see where it goes.
    Yeah kinda came out of nowhere in that episode without any hint towards it at all. I mean, I guess the set-up is established to be a crime story so it's not too out of the periphery?
    Movie Theater Diary

I just now watched the last episode and I hadn't read the spoiler you posted until after so I was expecting some huge thing to happen this episode. But the [
    ] was something that I figured was going on ([
    ]) from the first time we see her make that trip at the beginning of the season.
    TV Recently Finished:

Yeah, I figured out the drug running pretty early on, but I can't say I find it particularly compelling.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Also (and I am only up to last week's episode) this is, like, the least discreet affair of all time. They are terrible at affairing.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Also (and I am only up to last week's episode) this is, like, the least discreet affair of all time. They are terrible at affairing.
    This is something me and my wife discuss every episode. You at least look out the window to see if your spouse is gone before hopping out of bed and picking a dress to wear for your affair date.
    TV Recently Finished:

I thought it was hilarious when he put his friend in a cab and then ran up the stairs to make out in three seconds flat.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I thought it was hilarious when he put his friend in a cab and then ran up the stairs to make out in three seconds flat.
    Then he[
    ] on his doorstep with his wife and family home. What if his wife would have came to the door and wondered [
    ]?

But on a separate note this last episode was probably my favorite of the series so far. The stuff wrapped up in this episode was what I thought the rest of the season would be about so I have no clue where it's going from here ([
    ]).
    TV Recently Finished:

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    ([
    ]).
    Didn't we already find out it's the [
    ]
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

I wasn't aware of how lethargic the series had started to feel until this last episode shook everything up. Very cool. Great use of Tierney and Jackson, too, who have been wasted so far.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast