Thread: Transparent (Soloway, 2014)

Transparent (Soloway, 2014)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3502262/

I haven't been this excited about a television show since The Sopranos. Seven episodes in and this season has done a stellar job of knitting together a complex and beautiful story. This last one, Symbolic Exemplar was utterly devastating. Tambor's stone grimace at the end stunned me, during [
    ], I just broke into tears. Beautiful moment, followed by one of the year's best twists that added substance, rather than a vicarious thrill (ala Game of Thrones.

Can't wait to finish it.
    The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
    - Camus

Films
    Tess (Polanski, 1979): ***.5
    Love and Death (Allen, 1975): **.5
    Lord of the Flies (Brook, 1963): ***.5

TV
    Brooklyn Nine Nine (Season 1): ***
    Olive Kitteridge (Mini-Series): ****

Burned through it in a couple of days. Weird, intriguing finale. I wasn't expecting this show to leave with a sort of cliffhanger, but it worked. Hopefully they get a second season.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Burned through it in a couple of days. Weird, intriguing finale. I wasn't expecting this show to leave with a sort of cliffhanger, but it worked. Hopefully they get a second season.
    Good news for the world, renewed for a second season: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...redirect=false

I thought the entire season was fantastic. The ending was a little cliff-hangerish, but not any more than any other episode in the back half. I also read this article about their taking the show as a five hour piece (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...viewing-718157). In all honesty, it's some of the most exciting visual storytelling I've seen in a while. Can't wait to see where it goes from here. Even if it peters out, like Six Feet Under, it's already had a season that is leagues away from any season that show had (which is not faint praise, as S.F.U. was intermittently the shit).
    The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
    - Camus

Films
    Tess (Polanski, 1979): ***.5
    Love and Death (Allen, 1975): **.5
    Lord of the Flies (Brook, 1963): ***.5

TV
    Brooklyn Nine Nine (Season 1): ***
    Olive Kitteridge (Mini-Series): ****

I wasn't sure what to think when I first started watching Transparent, but I stumbled upon the latest and greatest thing in TV. The viewer experiences devastating heartache while witnessing extreme acts of bravery through self-identity [
    ]. There is so much right with this show, it's too much to digest inside one viewing. Which is typically a good sign.

I'm so pleased this is more than just a showcase for Jeffrey Tambor's standout performance. Incredibly compelling, genuinely moving, and oddly addictive. I'm sure I'll finish this one soon.