Thread: Selfie (Season 1)

Selfie (Season 1)

Second episode is beginning to add a bit more complexity to John Cho's own weaknesses, situating his failings a bit more front and center. That quality helps undercut his continual criticism on Gillan's sexual improprieties. The supporting characters still yearn for a bit more characterization, so that the women's book-group isn't so artificially opposite from Gillan.

Sarah noted that Cho seemed a bit stalkery in the car at the end, which could be interesting if the showrunners want to explore that dimension even more. As is, Gillan's refusal to laugh at Cho's joke in the office opening was killer. And Gillan has great line delivery, even if the character isn't being given enough range quite yet. Still, I'm hopeful that the ratings are good enough to allow the showrunners time to develop out concepts, since there's definitely potential here.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I'm still watching this. It survives on Cho and Gillan's charisma. The only other show I watch that I put in the same category as this is Undateable. Both shows that I know are not very good with dumb premises but has characters/actors I enjoy watching.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

That little kid's Eddie Murphy crying made me laugh like I haven't laughed in a long time. This was a really good episode all around.
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Are EWO and I the only ones watching this series? This week's episode continued to slowly deepen and develop the apathy that Gillan has for offering babysitting services (great sustained hold on that gag), and Cho's monologuing about the expiration dates. The actors are just having fun with their characters, and there's an infectious energy with all of their deliveries.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I'm watching, but feel similar to EWO in that I'm really only watching because I really like Gillan and Cho. The premise is silly and the episode-by-episode conflicts border on ridiculous, but Gillan and Cho have a charm and a chemistry that is keeping me interested. Haven't watched this week's episode yet.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I'm watching but don't feel it's a show where I'll ever really talk about it.

These last two back to back episodes were again really good (even though they aired them out of order). This is actually turning into a very good show. Too bad it's probably going to get cancelled.
    TV Recently Finished:

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    This is actually turning into a very good show. Too bad it's probably going to get cancelled.
    It just did.

Only saw it peripherally, watching pieces of it when others did while I did other things. But it definitely seemed like something that I could've gotten into if it had honed itself a bit more over time. Too bad it'll never see that point.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Just watched last nights episode and it made me sad. I'm really going to miss these characters.
    TV Recently Finished:

They pulled it from the upcoming schedule. They better air these last six episodes or I'm going to get mad. The next one had Ron Funches!
    TV Recently Finished:

Le sigh. The show had a little too much caricature in Cho's girlfriend character, in that she always felt like she was performing stiffness rather than just naturally stiff, but the show had started to problematize its central dynamic in interesting ways. The episodes when Cho and Gillan got away from the office (babysitting or the boss's home) were the best.

That pull-close, by the way. Shame that'll be the most sparks on the show.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Emily Kapnek said on twitter that the remaining six episodes would be up on Hulu shortly.
    TV Recently Finished:

First post-cancelation episode appeared on Hulu (Plus, at least). It appears one of the five remaining episodes will get posted each week.

The Cho [
    ] freakout was a hoot. I quite love how the most recent episodes have been about his re-education rather than hers. The narrative arc seems foretold that the series will end with a Cho and Gillan coupling/kiss, but I still like the spark and culture quips. This week it was the Tom Cruise assessment.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

What a gut wrenching episode mixed in with some awesome karaoke performances and Charmonique and Eliza's neighbor epic brawl. I'm going to miss this show. :sad:
    TV Recently Finished: