Thread: Doctor Who (Season 8)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar

Doctor Who (Season 8)

Every episode has been stellar but also Moffat has had his hands in almost every episode.

My mom said today, "It's been so good that it almost makes me mad how bad almost all the episodes were last season. They're finally trying to make good episodes again."

Man, that actually felt somewhat like a Tennant episode. This season is killing it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

What does Courtney keep saying as an aside to Clara? I cannot decipher her accent when she mumbles.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Enjoyable enough. Kinda interested in how willing the Doctor is to tell the student the truth and then to take her out in the Tardis. That seemed slightly out of character.

Been trying to figure out why Clara actually needs to escape with the Doctor, since this week's Avclub review brought up the issue. She doesn't have the logic of Amy's indecision, but I'm optimistic that once Mr. Pink starts attending the trips that Moffat and company will reveal just a bit more of her desires.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Ohhhh MAN there's a huge divide on "Kill the Moon" between critics and fans, as big as I can remember. I really feel like I want to watch it 2-3 more times. There's so much to analyze there.

Extremely interesting moral dilemma and payoff; ridiculous and stupid set-up. The silliness of the first twenty minutes robs me of some of the power of the fallout.

But Clara's calling out of the doctor was a fascinating narrative choice. I'm curious how it will play out.

Jenna Coleman looks a lot like Christina Ricci.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Am I alone in wanting Coleman to be retired after the Christmas episode? Never felt her arc click with me, unlike the Rory/Amy relationship, and it just seems like the Pink dynamic is also about wrapped up with the season finale.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Am I alone in wanting Coleman to be retired after the Christmas episode? Never felt her arc click with me, unlike the Rory/Amy relationship, and it just seems like the Pink dynamic is also about wrapped up with the season finale.
    Pretty sure you're getting your wish, if the rumors are to be believed. I like Clara, but I do agree that the time has come for her to move on. I feel like her character has run its course, especially with Capaldi's Doctor.

Therein lies the problem with Moffat's tendency to write companions more as a plot point than a person. Once that initial plot is over, you're left with very little. I feel she has a better personality this season and Coleman has a better grasp on how she should perform Clara, but her story is so definitively solved and over with that it still feels like needless lingering, like a sequel no one wants.

Amy and Rory felt like that too last season, after the whole River thing was over.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Holy crap that was fantastic. Nice to see Moffat actually caring about the show again. Plus Capaldi is marvelous as The Doctor. It was also great that the Daleks and the Cybermen were used very little considering how much they've been over utilized so much during the new series' run.

As for Clara I don't feel or share the hate she gets. I'm a fan of her and I think she worked out much better with Capaldi than Smith. I loved how the series ended too and I was impressed with most of the episodes. The forrest and Dalek episodes were the only ones I didn't care for and even those had some great moments. I'm curious about where the show goes from here.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I enjoyed Last Christmas mostly because of Nick Frost.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?