Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Essays + Every Frame a Painting

I was going to post that. Thanks!

I'm not gonna watch that without having seen the movie.

It doesn't actually discuss the movie, the video is about ensemble blocking in movies in a general sense, and merely uses a handful of shots from that particular movie to make his points.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    It doesn't actually discuss the movie, the video is about ensemble blocking in movies in a general sense, and merely uses a handful of shots from that particular movie to make his points.
    High & Low is probably the best use of ensemble blocking that I can think of.

Hateful Eight could be one of the better recent ones.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I love these guys. I want to have a children of their geniuses.

Spider-Man, Spider-man...

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I love these guys. I want to have a children of their geniuses.
    It's one guy.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I had no idea about Temp Music. Eyeopening.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It's one guy.
    I used to think so too but this video credits three people.

Huh. Oh yeah. That's new. It was always just Tony before.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I used to think so too but this video credits three people.
    He had help on this one. It's usually just him.

X-Men the Animated Series had a good theme.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Avengers has a good theme.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Ive seen Avengers at least three times and I couldnt hum a theme with a gun to my head. Ive hated all 4 of the Harry Potter movies ive watched and I could hum that because the score was good and notable.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Ive seen Avengers at least three times and I couldnt hum a theme with a gun to my head. Ive hated all 4 of the Harry Potter movies ive watched and I could hum that because the score was good and notable.
    Exact opposite for me.

The Marvel movies... NO idea what the themes are. Guardians of the Galaxy gets a nod for a soundtrack at least.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Johnny Williams and Danny Elfman and Howard Shore come from the school of creating a full melody for a theme, from developing and intertwining those themes. A lot of film scorers now seem more interested in minimalist evocation of tone and insistent, often percussive momentum generation. Hans Zimmer has a veritable warehouse of such artists called Remote Control, and I sorta blame him for perpetuating this style. Hell, even his best scores are distinguished more by instrumental choice than anything (e.g. the repetitive chants of TDKR, the pipe organs of Interstellar).

See, I'm aware that The Avengers technically has a "theme", but I'll be damned if I can recall it off the top of my head. And that's partly thanks to the fact that Marvel has made absolutely no effort at all to ingrain their movies' themes into the popular culture even beyond the movies. For instance, if you watch a trailer for any upcoming Star Wars movie, they're filled with all the classic Star Wars tunes. Or hell, even the trailer for Fantastic Beasts they made a point to emphasize the iconic Harry Potter theme in it. However, when you watch a trailer or ad for a Marvel movie, they don't play any sort of recognizable theme from the movies, it's usually something generic that just happens to match the images on the screen (much as they discussed in the video), something more akin to "Inception music", or if they do make a special point to emphasize the music, it's something more thematically relevant to the movie, like the Pinocchio song in Age of Ultron. The difference is, where most franchises with theme music would typically end their trailers on a note to splice in a recognizable theme from the movies, to keep the viewer humming and keep their franchise in mind, Marvel just doesn't do this for some reason.

I suppose the question should be asked, do you feel the score should be noticeable or background/unnoticeable? I would understand both arguments. How strong should this element be in cinema?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I suppose the question should be asked, do you feel the score should be noticeable or background/unnoticeable? I would understand both arguments. How strong should this element be in cinema?
    I'm not sure there's a clear cut answer, and it's probably situational. I've seen movies where I felt the score was overbearing and distracting (12 Years A Slave), but then I've also seen plenty more where very noticeable music can largely amplify and compliment a movie (Interstellar). Then, of course, there's movies where it's certainly there, but it's not the focal point and sorta disappears into the background, as this video gave us plenty of examples of, which I guess can be fine, too. It really all depends on how its executed I think, what type of movie we're talking about, and what the movie's striving to achieve in the moment.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast