Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Essays + Every Frame a Painting

I love showing this series to non-movie buff friends. In general, it's very helpful to visually illustrate how good directing isn't just about cool shots. It works, too.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I talk about scene geometry all the damn time and my friends look at me like I'm from the moon. FINALLY was able to crack their skulls open with these last two videos so they understand what I've been talking about. Beautiful.
    I had actually been told about the quadrant system but never fully grasped the concept until the Drive video... and honestly I had no idea about the way you could play with shapes and geometry. Not until now. And if it weren't great enough, Zhou said he made this two short videos while working on a bigger one about Kurosawa!!

I'd love to see him do a video about Kobayashi. He was the first filmmaker where I became acutely aware of the use of geometry/quadrants/etc. The film Samurai Rebellion, specifically, as it explicitly and brilliantly uses architectural space as manifestations of political oppression, cultural rigidity, psychological compartmentalization, etc. Characters will occupy different quadrants in the frame while talking to each other but also literally be in separate rooms, talking to each other through screens or doors, etc. Lots of squares and intersecting lines (boundaries, or prisons), and the shapes change as the film progresses and these sturdy frameworks give way to ruin (metaphorically).
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    I'd love to see him do a video about Kobayashi. He was the first filmmaker where I became acutely aware of the use of geometry/quadrants/etc. The film Samurai Rebellion, specifically, as it explicitly and brilliantly uses architectural space as manifestations of political oppression, cultural rigidity, psychological compartmentalization, etc. Characters will occupy different quadrants in the frame while talking to each other but also literally be in separate rooms, talking to each other through screens or doors, etc. Lots of squares and intersecting lines (boundaries, or prisons), and the shapes change as the film progresses and these sturdy frameworks give way to ruin (metaphorically).
    You can always drop him a suggestion.
    https://twitter.com/tonyszhou

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    I had actually been told about the quadrant system but never fully grasped the concept until the Drive video... and honestly I had no idea about the way you could play with shapes and geometry. Not until now. And if it weren't great enough, Zhou said he made this two short videos while working on a bigger one about Kurosawa!!
    Kurosawa's High and Low is basically film school for geometry.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Nice post, Mr. Fry! I love Kurosawa.

Quote Quoting The Bad Guy (view post)
    Nice post, Mr. Fry! I love Kurosawa.
    I think I now have to marathon the guy. I've only seen like, 4 films from him (Throne of Blood, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Ikiru).

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    I think I now have to marathon the guy. I've only seen like, 4 films from him (Throne of Blood, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Ikiru).
    You have a lot of great films on the docket, then.

I would recommend watching Ran and Rashomon next, but just about everything in his filmography is excellent.

If you liked Yojimbo definitely check out Sanjuro.

I did like Yojimbo. Specially the guy with the evil smirk.

After those, dont forget Dreams. Its great.

People used to give me weird looks when I say that Dreams is Kurosawa's best film.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    People used to give me weird looks when I say that Dreams is Kurosawa's best film.
    Its really great. I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite Kurasawa. Still a couple I haven't seen...

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Died when I saw Mabel.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    One of my favorites ever at the 1:00 mark.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Probably my favorite essay so far.

New video.

I was impressed that The Whole Nine Yards was actually set in Canada, and not just filmed there (though it was Montréal, not Vancouver).

I need more Keaton in my life.

Renamed the thread. I will start including videos not made by Zhou, starting with this one:

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast