Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Essays + Every Frame a Painting

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Hahah word. I think my favorite quirk about translators of titles in Spanish is when they extrapolate what they did with one movie to others of the same genre. For example, Police Academy was translated as Locademia de PolicÃ*a (a made up portmanteau word but basically meaning Crazy Police Academy) and then they used that for all other goofy comedies, so that everything was "loco" (crazy).

I sometimes chuckle at the reasoning behind some of these changes. I picture the dude thinking to himself "but Scott doesn't fight the whole world... only the exes of the girl of his dreams".
    Tinfoil hat me believes someone wanted that movie to bomb because come on, that title.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Locademia is absolutely a great title.
    Technically It's Loca Academia. Mexican/Spanish title makers are not that good.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    And in Spain, Die Hard was renamed as La Jungla de Cristal (The Crystal Jungle), I think because Predator was fresh on everyone's mind as the template for action movies.

So when the sequels came and they were not set inside a skyscraper anymore, they were still The Crystal Jungle which was even more nonsensical.
    I'll give this to Mexican tittle makers. Here it's called Duro de Matar, which not only sounds much better, but is somewhat close to the English title.

I'm having a Mandela Effect moment here. I'm positive me and my friends referred to it as Locademia in our childhood. But every poster I can find now says Loca Academia.

That just means I'm free to use Locademia for my spec script about a school in South America that drops all requirements for grad students and gets a bunch of kooky weirdos and troublemakers who want to write research papers.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I find the subject of religious impact on the USA political process very interesting, and I watched the first half-hour of the video last night.

What struck me was how he doesn't source any of his data. He makes a lot of concrete statements but rarely backs them up, not by noting them on-screen nor verbalizing his sources nor by offering YouTube annotations. I'm sure he's operating in good faith, but it just became a muddle very quickly, because he's making so many statements about religion, religious denominations, etc. and then he'll slide very quickly into editorializing with a sort of "duh" mentality. He seems to think his criticisms or sideways commentary are self-evident and don't need to be built up.

It's all very strange.

Damn, I'm afraid to talk now.

Anyway, the Spanish Wikipedia page says both Locademia and Loca Academia in different paragraphs.

And a Facebook friend just shared this, also Locademia in the blurb:

https://www.facebook.com/AmericaTV/v...1154591233449/

Spooky.

That Renegade Cut guy is a complete disaster. His videos are three times longer than they need to be, his thesis have always been kind of crappy and he'd actually benefit from using some kind of automatic reading software to get some emotion there.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    That just means I'm free to use Locademia for my spec script about a school in South America that drops all requirements for grad students and gets a bunch of kooky weirdos and troublemakers who want to write research papers.
    I would see it.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

He's baaaack...

Unfortunately, Filmstruck has a ton of videos and I can't figure out how to identify the ones by Tony Zhou.

Also, good to see Tony releasing more videos!

^I've watched those before! Great channel and vids, both of 'em, and they remind me of another great Youtube guy who specializes in action movie essays, Rossatron:

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)

This is the problem in both Batman v Superman and Justice League.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Man, ScreenPrism is the real thing.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast