View Poll Results: YAY/NAY?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

50 92.59%
  • Nay

4 7.41%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Guardians of the Galaxy (James Gunn)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Edgar Wright wasn't going to make Ant-Man a hit. The marketing and how they sell the film to tie-in with other MCU movies will. I think Ant-Man could be a hit (maybe not GotG big), but I wonder how much their willing to spend on it considering how much has been already spent over the past few years getting it into development.
    But I think the studios are reluctant to say "This didn't work because of X" if a movie gets favorable reviews but still bombs. I do think losing Edgar Wright will hurt this project either in the box office or critically.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Edgar Wright would have made the movie good, but come on, in what world is he a big mainstream draw? Have you seen his BO numbers?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Edgar Wright would have made the movie good, but come on, in what world is he a big mainstream draw? Have you seen his BO numbers?
    Have you seeen James Gunn's BO numbers pre Galaxy? Super and Slither weren't exactly blowing up the multiplex.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Have you seeen James Gunn's BO numbers pre Galaxy? Super and Tromeo & Juliet weren't exactly blowing up the multiplex.
    Yeah, that's my point. He wasn't the main draw, and neither would Edgar Wright had been.

Even if Edgar Wright had stayed on, the trailers would probably focus on marketing Ant-Man as part of the unbeatable Marvel brand more than "From the director of Shaun of the Dead."
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yeah, that's my point. He wasn't the main draw, and neither would Edgar Wright had been.
    But given his track record, Wright would most likely make Ant-Man suck less and thus it would at least have better W-O-M. Career-wise, he isn't that far off from where Sam Raimi was before Spider-Man or Peter Jackson was before LOTR.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I think the Marvel name is a big enough draw that you could attach any no-name director and it will still open decent.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I think the Marvel name is a big enough draw that you could attach any no-name director and it will still open decent.
    Pretty much.

I hold an odd kind of personal grudge towards Ant-Man. It's the first time I've ever wanted something to flop, or cared one way or the other.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I don't think Marvel ever has or ever will use their directors to market their stuff. I mean, what would they have done early on?

From the director of
    Elf and Zathura

IRON MAN

From the director of
    Unleashed and Transporter 2

THE INCREDIBLE HULK

From the director of
    Dead Again, Henry V, and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

THOR

Even as recent as The Winter Solider they would've been touting directors whose last film work was You, Me and Dupree, despite all the great stuff they did on (the still totally different) Community, Happy Endings and Arrested Development. They saw the potential and went for it.

And I guess that's the best thing you can say about Marvel's track record so far is that they tend to look at the sensibilities, talent and imminent take their directors can bring to the material more than what's necessarily dictated by what's already on their resumés or past box office success, since their brand will do that work for them.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

If Guardians proved anything, it's that Marvel can sell these movies with their name, a 90% pre-release tomatometer, and strong word-of-mouth. The director's name is almost immaterial. It also doesn't need to be a highly recognized property and doesn't have to look exactly like their other movies. Just put out a good product, and the brand/word-of-mouth will do the work.

In that regard, Wright would've been a good choice for Ant-Man (assuming the alternative would be some director acting as a Marvel drone that'll pump out a safe and unspectacular product).

I'm hoping Gunn's success here will encourage Marvel to lighten up a bit on the cookie-cutter approach that they've been following thus far. Maybe we'll see less instances of potentially interesting voices like Patty Jenkins and Wright being canned for deviating from the company line.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

When is a director's name ever really effective in selling a movie to the general public beyond Spielberg, Nolan, Cameron, Tarantino... could be end of list.... Ant Man will do just fine because of the Marvel logo above the title.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

- - - - -
    Just put out a good product, and the brand/word-of-mouth will do the work.
    Well, that and $100 million in marketing.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Well, that and $100 million in marketing.
    Yeah, that too.

:lol:
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

And a multi-generational, rabid fanbase.

And a multi-generational, rabid fanbase.
    Not even sure that's required. Guardians certainly didn't break $500M on the back of its existing fanbase, though I'm sure the fervor among big fans helped spread WOM.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

Weirdly enough, I've actually had to tell several people who wanted to see it that it's based on a comic book and that it's tied to the Marvel movies. Now that I think about it, their marketing didn't exactly push that angle as hard as I thought they would.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm the first to 'con' this? Really? ¯\\_(ツ)_//¯

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I'm the first to 'con' this? Really? ¯\\_(ツ)_//¯
    Dude. Look again.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Dude. Look again.
    Meant in the ratings.

Meant in the ratings.
    Gotcha. 3 stars seems accurate for my feelings.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Maybe seeing it in an empty theatre with two relatively fun-averse friends didn't do it any favours, but I was really grateful to see this end. (possibly the reason why baby Groot was the clear highlight)

Maybe seeing it in an empty theatre with two relatively fun-averse friends didn't do it any favours, but I was really grateful to see this end. (possibly the reason why baby Groot was the clear highlight)
    Nooooooooooo...

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Seriously, my next favorite thing was probably the Footloose reference. ¯\\_(ツ)_//¯ ¯\\_(ツ)_//¯

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    Pelvic sorcery / 10.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I don't understand what this movie is.
    It's a space opera. No, it's a comedy. Nope, it's a space opera. Oh, we're back to mocking the genre again. Ah, it's actually a space opera. Okay, it's actually a parody.

It's a space opera.

...?
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I felt here what I felt during "Avengers," which is that I wish these characters didn't have such transparently plotty stuff to do and could just hang out. Whenever they were bickering with each other, I was having a ball. The action? Not so much. Those scenes stay afloat thanks to the little asides - Raccoon fucking with people's prosthetics is a hoot. And God, whenever the villains were talking about Xandar and Thanos and all that crap, I was thinking of those senate scenes from the prequels. And I wish Gunn built up the spectacle more. This year's "Godzilla" movie showed such a command of how to make spectacle invigorating instead of exhausting.

THAT BEING SAID,

The film's puckish eagerness to undercut its drama is even more effective than Whedons quippery at offsetting eye-rolls. Ronan is dopey, but I admire Pace going full bore into the melodramatics. His jaw deserves a supporting credit. The hero cast is uniformly great. Pratt nails it, but what I really loved was Bautista as Drax. His literalism bounces very well off the snarkier heroes. And I appreciated that every character had clear, sympathetic reasons for their decision to fight Ronan.

I also loved seeing Gunn regulars sneak into the movie, and I wanted to know more about that setting that was the head of a former celestial god. What is that thing? And, God help me, I enjoyed the heroes defeating the villain with the Power of Friendship. Oh, and Saldana yawning during the Hero Walk.

I don't think Marvel takes much risk in their individual movies - their big risk is in stringing them all together like a cinematic baton race. But props to them for taking a kid-friendly "Heavy Metal" story and giving it to the guy who turned a alien victim into a barn-sized womb. He didn't drop the baton.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    GuardiansoftheGalaxy just passed up the original Iron Man domestically to become Marvel’s 3rd biggest US hit ever (after Avengers & IM3).
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast