Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Skull Island

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Fuck yes! More monkey cock for sure.
    Yep, there we go.

(EDIT: Posting to remind of the controversy, not just posting it for kicks.)

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Yep, there we go.
    LOL. I feel like I've achieved a certain legacy.

(PS: Owe you rep, too, Wryan)

Yeah but why can't I see Lebron's cock?!

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Sure. But it doesn't keep it from being fucked up.
    I'd say it's an argument for letting this franchise die the death it deserves rather than adding anatomical correction to Kong (though maybe that's what you're already driving at). I mean, that is fucked up and it's like someone in Hollywood is convinced they can keep making variations on the same racist and sexist story but find some way to make it not racist or not sexist and truly just about a big goddamn monkey, even though that will never be possible.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I'd say it's an argument for letting this franchise die the death it deserves rather than adding anatomical correction to Kong (though maybe that's what you're already driving at).
    Well, I'm not really calling for the franchise to die. I noticed there's 3 movies coming out (Ghost in the Shell, Skull Island, Justice League) that want to have an element of sex about them, but that there's also a sexual element that's been consciously removed by the filmmakers. In each case, a pop art icon is somewhat diminished. I think it's weird (this also might be attributable to engaging with Chapo, John Berger's Ways of Seeing, and Martin Scorsese's Public Speaking this past week).

Anyway. Lotsa things to say about this but I'll leave it there.

Eat your veggies.

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Wow, travel about 2500 miles due south, and you'll hit R'lyeh!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I hate having to spread my rep around before giving some to Irish's monkey cock.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

A couple of questions:

What's the controversy with the Lebron cover? I'm very out of the loop.

Why is it fucked up that we don't see Cyborg's cock? In no iteration of the character, ever, have we seen his cock. Why is that suddenly a problem in the Justice League movie? Plus is it not feasible that it was lost in the accident as well?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Sorry meg, you missed the sell-by date by approximately 12 minutes and 36 seconds.

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Plus is it not feasible that it was lost in the accident as well?
    This line of thinking was memorably pursued by Grant Morrison in Doom Patrol with the Robotman character.

A couple of questions:

What's the controversy with the Lebron cover? I'm very out of the loop.
    I missed that one as well.

Why is it fucked up that we don't see Cyborg's cock? In no iteration of the character, ever, have we seen his cock. Why is that suddenly a problem in the Justice League movie? Plus is it not feasible that it was lost in the accident as well?
    Becaussee its DC lulz!

I have NO idea why that is an issue.

Black people don't like a reminder of the history of African-Americans being compared to apes. The controversy's not that complicated.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Black people don't like a reminder of the history of African-Americans being compared to apes. The controversy's not that complicated.
    Thats totally understandable, but how does that apply to Cyborg in Justice League?

In the comics, Cyborg named his balls Amos and Andy.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It would be ape cock not monkey cock. /science

People thought Lebron looked like Kong having just captured his screaming white woman. Hence the uncomfortable silhouette of some historical and social coding.

I suspect the Cyborg de-cocking is similar, taking away a black men's sexual power so he's less of a threat to white women and that sort of thing.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I think if people look at that picture and see an ape with his captured bride, it says more about the people seeing that in the picture than anything else.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Not when there's an entire history of this stuff, socially and culturally ingrained as stock humor or accepted racist lingo for decades if not centuries.

That art isn't specific to black people, tho, in this case. But it's not nothing.

--Homer

I think if people look at that picture and see an ape with his captured bride, it says more about the people seeing that in the picture than anything else.
    No it doesn't.

I can just as easily argue it says something about people who don't see it.
    Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I mean, I'm somehow not sure I've ever seen the cover and I don't remember the controversy at the time, and even it being introduced in this thread's context it confused me more than anything. Of course pointing it out and explaining it makes it clear and uncomfortable, but especially almost a decade after seeing Lebron making variations of that face during games all the time, my first thoughts were honestly "Oh, he was doing that off the court back then too", looking through the cover headlines to find a more prevalent issue. I think it's crazier that he was apparently the third man ever on the cover of Vogue and that was their portrayal of him more than the parallels in the imagery.

Perhaps the cheap, shrugging answer would be that both Meg and I are Canadian and maybe these things don't immediately click the same way for us. But I'm sure Winston and others might disagree there.

Anyway, Kong: Skull Island is a really fun flick, guys! You should all check it out! [/lighter note]
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 03-05-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I can just as easily argue it says something about people who don't see it.
    I understand what you're saying and I'm pretty sure where you would go with this, but there is a pop culture reference element involved that if one just was never exposed to, wouldn't make the connection to racial implication. Sometimes a thing in pop culture simply evades some peoples notice.

I never even heard of The Goonies until like ten years ago.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast