View Poll Results: I Know That Voice

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

1 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%

Thread: I Know That Voice (Lawrence Shapiro)

I Know That Voice (Lawrence Shapiro)

Hey, look, it's that animation nut from RT.

For reference, the movie can be found easily online, like on Amazon Prime.

It's a pretty terribly constructed documentary. But I guess DiMaggio commissioned this just to showcase people that I like, so that's fine. It just goes on and on, though, so I don't know if I would recommend it to anyone who's not interested in these people.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It's a pretty terribly constructed documentary. But I guess DiMaggio commissioned this just to showcase people that I like, so that's fine. It just goes on and on, though, so I don't know if I would recommend it to anyone who's not interested in these people.
    Admittedly, I think the documentary is geared more towards those who have just never seen/known/learned anything about VO before. I really didn't learn anything new, myself. (In fact, even the Bob Bergen lesson on Porky stuttering is old hat to me, as he demonstrated that on me in person.) But I still found the doc to be great fun.

Of course, it's a different experience seeing it at home than it was when I went to the premiere. Watching a documentary where pretty much everybody who appears in it is in the audience right next to you is a whole other kind of audience energy. A lot of hooting and hollering, amongst other things.

That's why I don't think it's a good documentary. It doesn't ever aim to break out of its niche appeal, and yet doesn't offer anything new about the business or these people that haven't already been featured in various BTS videos. How many times has Jess Harnell told that Disneyland story on camera? So the people who would like this are in this narrow group where they really like animation and are interested in voice acting, but don't know anything about voice actors.

I dunno. Maybe there's more of those people than I realize.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I dunno. Maybe there's more of those people than I realize.
    I think there are. Most people aren't as well-traveled through VO epherema as we are. Even if they like voice actors, or cartoons in general, they may not have really seen all these people or heard all this stuff.

I agree it's going to be less surprising to those who know most of the info, but it's aimed at those who don't know it yet.