Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC Animated Superhero Thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The DC Animated Superhero Thread

I was getting tired of posting in the Man of Steel thread and I didn't want to put this in the TV section even though most of the discussion here for the time being will be around the various Animated Series, but we need a place to talk about X-Men TAS, Batman, TAS, Superman TAS and the spin-off movies.

I'm currently watching Justice League on netflix having finished Superman TAS, and the Legend episodes are fantastic.

I so desperately want a live action Seaboard City crossover movie now. Please Hollywood gods, make this happen.

I also was a little bit shocked by the inclusion of Hawkgirl (who I had never heard of before) and Martian Manhunter. Surely you could have found two more Justice League members worthy of including in this series? I don't like how they don't explain where Hawkgirl comes from. Is she an alien? Human? Are her wings real? Like WTF?

But overall, this series needs more Batman.

Completed:
    Batman TAS
    Superman TAS
    Justice League
    Justice League Unlimited

Next Up:
    Batman Beyond
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Martian Manhunter is one of the core members of the Justice League (he was an original member in the comics) and pretty much the constant throughout the changes that go on with the roster. He most definitely should be included. He's also fucking awesome. As for Hawkgirl the creators said at the beginning they wanted to have a diverse cast so instead of Hawkman who is a more well known Justice League member they went with Hawkgirl. She is one of the more popular characters on the show.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

If you'll excuse the self-promotion, I guess I might as well post a link to my recent post on the Batman: The Animated Series episode, "Beware the the Gray Ghost,'' (and other Batman incarnations) before it fades into the forgotten back pages of the film discussion thread (just in case anyone missed it or is interested).

Yeah, Martian Manhunter is the Justice League. Hawkgirl is definitively an odder choice. The standard would be Aquaman.

- - - - -
    Manhunter was cool. But: I've never seen a DC animated show that ever figured out what to do with him. The guy had like one story in the original run. After that, they made him Chief Bottlewasher on the station & turned him into Captain Exposition.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Yeah, Martian Manhunter is the Justice League. Hawkgirl is definitively an odder choice. The standard would be Aquaman.
    They ran into him a few times, but they 1) were not surprised by his existence under the water and 2) did not invite him to the league.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Manhunter was cool. But: I've never seen a DC animated show that ever figured out what to do with him. The guy had like one story in the original run. After that, they made him Chief Bottlewasher on the station & turned him into Captain Exposition.
    They can't figure out what to do with him in the series either. He can turn invisible and make rockets shot at him go through him and he can sorta fly. But mostly he just stands around and uses his good logic when Superman isn't around.

I hold a lot of the DC animated stuff in pretty high esteem.

There's yet to be a live action superhero movie better than Mask of the Phantasm or Return of the Joker.

Yay to this thread.

So I know these are "kids" shows, but what is it with WB/DC on not drawing female asses? Did they intentionally do this? Wonder Woman is wearing a leotard and yet when she turns around there's nothing there.

They deliberately didn't want to go that route with Aquaman, partially because it had been done before (Superfriends), and partially because the character had been perceived as such a joke (again, Superfriends). Their take on Aquaman, designed to make him much more badass, also made him much more of a non-joiner.
    Hey, look, it's that animation nut from RT.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    They can't figure out what to do with him in the series either. He can turn invisible and make rockets shot at him go through him and he can sorta fly. But mostly he just stands around and uses his good logic when Superman isn't around.
    In the grand scheme of the series, J'onn probably gets the least amount of personal development; in fact, his biggest changes occur off-screen in Season 5. But they still do a few compelling bits and pieces with him, at least as far as his inherent loneliness and deep wells of sadness are concerned.

Season 5? I only see 2 seasons, unless that's just only what's available on Netflix.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    2 seasons of Justice League and then it continued for three seasons as Justice League Unlimited.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

DC's next two major animated films revealed: Gods and Monsters, Batman vs. Robin

Just wanted to add that Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl are the focal point of two of my favorite episodes on the show.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Just wanted to add that Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl are the focal point of two of my favorite episodes on the show.
    Don't keep us in suspense, you cad.

Definitely.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    There's yet to be a live action superhero movie better than Mask of the Phantasm
    I watched this last night for the first time (I remember being so fascinated by this movie as a child and yet, somehow, I never got around to viewing it). Spoilers follow. There's a lot to admire here, but I'll get one glaring flaw out of the way: Andrea ably flips Bruce onto his back, prompting his surprise and vaguely condescending amusement, as well as a countermove, whereby Bruce quickly pins Andrea to the ground, lest the audience believe that a woman could be Bruce's combative equal. The kiss that caps this feat off is just one more dominating flourish, and it renders the whole encounter all the more risible. A conspicuously ridiculous outlier in a film that is otherwise pretty strong. Admittedly, the film kind of challenges the assumptions of this scene by poising Andrea as a formidable threat who can pass for Batman, but that just results in a kind of peculiar dissonance.

I still prefer Batman Returns, but Mask of the Phantasm is otherwise more or less worthy of the praise it received (Shirley Walker's contributions in those opening moments was a very auspicious start, by the way). I don't think I've ever seen another representation of Batman where the burden of his alter ego is given as much consideration, which is an idea that is taken to the point of abject desperation here, with Bruce bargaining with his parents for freedom from a life defined by trauma and vengeance. I recall similar ideas emerging in Batman Forever and The Dark Knight, though, but perhaps not as memorably.

The final confrontation is impressive, as well. At first, it reminded me of the ludicrous heights of a Power Rangers showdown or something, given the way the combatants dwarf the artificial cityscape. In retrospect, I like the way that the dilapidated city of tomorrow serves as a dramatic correlate for the failure of Bruce and Andrea's romantic aspirations. There's tremendous operatic power to be gleaned here, as the tender romance of Bruce and Andrea's flashbacks collide with a strikingly grotesque present, where a masked vigilante faces off against a deranged clown in a nightmarish "city" of unfulfilled promises.

Quote Quoting Alex Weitzman (view post)
    Don't keep us in suspense, you cad.
    I'm guessing the Christmas episode and Starcrossed.

Hawkgirl was great in the show, by the way - a left field choice that paid off. I think Duke's complaint about MM's role as exposition delivery applies to the comic-books too.

I just watched an episode where they alluded to Hawkgirl being from another planet.

Also they recently used MM, where he transformed into a dragon monster, which shocked me since I hadn't seen him do anything other than fly, turn invisible and read minds.

And Bruce Wayne dancing with Wonder Woman is fantastic... with the best bookend ever.

Wonder Woman: "You still owe me a dance. "

Batman: <glares/pauses> "I don't know what you're talking about. "

Grouchy with the top notch guessing.

I'm guessing the Christmas episode and Starcrossed.

Hawkgirl was great in the show, by the way - a left field choice that paid off. I think Duke's complaint about MM's role as exposition delivery applies to the comic-books too.
    I'm 14 episodes away from the Christmas episode, and Starcrossed is the next episode after that.

J'onn has another great moment, too, when he couldn't shut off his telepathy and went crazy (although the overall episode is just ok).

The show does deliberately power down a lot of the heroes in order to maintain a team dynamic in the action scenes (which comics, being more static and put more emphasis on dialogue during, need to do a lot less). In the first season, especially, Superman almost always flies in the front and then gets knocked down after one blast. Flash is always tripping on shit. Green Lantern can't do anything with the most powerful weapon in the universe except to shoot green lasers. Later episodes comment on this sometimes in moments of wink-wink self-awareness, but yeah, I believe the show is responsible for making a lot of casual superhero fans not realize that in the comics, Martian Manhunter is as strong as Superman on top of his shapeshifting/intangible/psychic abilities.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

J'onn has another great moment, too, when he couldn't shut off his telepathy and went crazy (although the overall episode is just ok).

The show does deliberately power down a lot of the heroes in order to maintain a team dynamic in the action scenes (which comics, being more static and put more emphasis on dialogue during, need to do a lot less). In the first season, especially, Superman almost always flies in the front and then gets knocked down after one blast. Flash is always tripping on shit. Green Lantern can't do anything with the most powerful weapon in the universe except to shoot green lasers. Later episodes comment on this sometimes in moments of wink-wink self-awareness, but yeah, I believe the show is responsible for making a lot of casual superhero fans not realize that in the comics, Martian Manhunter is as strong as Superman on top of his shapeshifting/intangible/psychic abilities.
    Yeh that episode has him isolated in the woods. I think he ends up saving a lost girl.

The most annoying thing about the show is what Superman gets knocked down. I'm always shocked by it. He also seems to struggle lifting heavy objects like cars and bridges when in the Dark Knight Returns, it feels like he tipped over a rank with his pinkie.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast