Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Last thing you bought...

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The DVD does look bad. Still have it somewhere.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Oh shit I had no idea this existed.

Thanks, Skitch! I pre-ordered it too!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I’d didn’t buy it, but found out today that Scarette got me a membership to the Metallica Vinyl Club. First disc has a live performance of For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Lepper Messiah.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Oh shit I had no idea this existed.

Thanks, Skitch! I pre-ordered it too!
    Friggin arrow so you know its gonna be 100 bucks a week after it sells out.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Friggin arrow so you know its gonna be 100 bucks a week after it sells out.
    In Canada the preorder is $44.99, so I'm already halfway there!

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    In Canada the preorder is $44.99, so I'm already halfway there!
    Even the 32$ shipped here in US....this damn disc better suck me off and tell me it loves me

- - - - -
    You guys should buy 2 copies. Keep one as a backup in a different part of the house.

You know. Just in case.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    You guys should buy 2 copies. Keep one as a backup in a different part of the house.

You know. Just in case.
    Legit LOL'd at "just in case"

Just you wait, Irish. Next year you won't be able to find Puppetry of the Penis on any streaming services anywhere, and guess you who you'll come crawling to on hand and knee to borrow my DVD copy?!?!

It's my mom's, I swear!

This bad mofo of a 4K steelbook was delivered today!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)

This bad mofo of a 4K steelbook was delivered today!
    What kind of 4k player do you have? I'm in the market.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What kind of 4k player do you have? I'm in the market.
    Xbox One X as a matter of fact, but will likely buy a Panasonic UB820 in the next few months as the xbox does not support Dolby Vision and it bothers me when my TV does, the disc supports it, but the player doesn't. Doesn't mean the image is bad right now, not at all in fact, but I want all the stuff UHD 4K supports. Plus, most Panasonic players have a remote trick that will let you bypass the region lock, though it doesn't work with all blu-ray discs, but a good majority of them I'm told.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Xbox One X as a matter of fact, but will likely buy a Panasonic UB820 in the next few months as the xbox does not support Dolby Vision and it bothers me when my TV does, the disc supports it, but the player doesn't. Doesn't mean the image is bad right now, not at all in fact, but I want all the stuff UHD 4K supports. Plus, most Panasonic players have a remote trick that will let you bypass the region lock, though it doesn't work with all blu-ray discs, but a good majority of them I'm told.
    My dilemma for the living room is might as well spend the extra $100 and get a PS5.

My dilemma for the movie theater my receiver is backordered and 5 weeks out.

I guess I'm not going anywhere so might as well wait. But as I start opening up my old blu-rays I'm itching to check out the quality of all my new equipment.

I've had a 1080p 40" Sony TV for almost a decade. I'm going to get a PS5 sometime next year, so I figured I should upgrade my TV first, but am immediately overwhelmed by all the options. I know I want 55" 4K HDR from a respectable brand. I don't need OLED--would love to pay less than $600 or $700.

Does anybody have any insights, recommendations, websites/guides they trust? I would love for my new TV to serve me as well as my last one did.

- - - - -
    Check Wirecutter first, then compare against Amazon reviews.

Sub to Consumer Reports for a month; they have a ton of TV reviews on their website.

There's also gotta be 2-3 subreddits for display/tv aficionados. These usually have good recs on popular models. (I assume you're already familiar with viewing distance issues, 4K bullshit, etc.)

Don't buy anything with a built-in streaming whatever (Roku, etc). Google around for TVs/brands that include ads and/or spyware on so-called "Smart TVs."

If you've completely cut the cord and don't need live TV, search for commercial displays (ie, the big flatscreens used in retail signage). You can sometimes get a good deal on a very large display, without having to deal with all the nonsense around "Smart TVs." Ditto computer monitors.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I've had a 1080p 40" Sony TV for almost a decade. I'm going to get a PS5 sometime next year, so I figured I should upgrade my TV first, but am immediately overwhelmed by all the options. I know I want 55" 4K HDR from a respectable brand. I don't need OLED--would love to pay less than $600 or $700.

Does anybody have any insights, recommendations, websites/guides they trust? I would love for my new TV to serve me as well as my last one did.
    On any given day, you can walk into Best Buy and look at their open boxes and save up to $400 on TVs. It's excellent option to save money. See if they have any 55 or 65 inch Q80Ts.

I just bought three of them and they are excellent. The menus are so well done too, going back and forth between inputs and apps is a breeze.

C
    Don't buy anything with a built-in streaming whatever (Roku, etc). Google around for TVs/brands that include ads and/or spyware on so-called "Smart TVs."
    I totally disagree with this btw. The people that complain about ads on TVs either have never used their so called offenders, or are just piggy backing on others that are saying the same thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/assholedesi...sung_smart_tv/

These people are idiots for two reasons "I swear to fuck I shouldn't ever have to update my tv." Well would you do the same thing for your phone too? Hate to break it to you, but apps have bugs, bugs get fixed, updates fix bugs.

The second reason is that ad only pops up when you hover over Samsung's own TV service in the menu. It would be like pulling out your iphone opening up itunes to NOT see anything advertised for you to buy. The only difference is instead of it being on a 6 inch screen in your hand, it's on a 55 inch screen on your wall. Big deal.

Chances are you will spend more time trying to find a non-smartTV then the amount of time you'll be annoyed by see this "ad" as your scroll to your HDMI 2 input.

Example of the Q80T I installed in my daughter's playroom. You can also rearrange the order of which these are in the menu so you may not even see it at all.
    You scroll over these things so quick they barely register.

Pic 1 - What the TV looks like when I press the home button to get to the menu
    Pic 2 - What it looks like when i scroll over once to the left (ads shown because I'm on top of the Samsung TV service)
    Pic 3 - What it looks like when i scroll over once more to the left

- - - - -
    I totally disagree with this btw. The people that complain about ads on TVs either have never used their so called offenders, or are just piggy backing on others that are saying the same thing.
    Hey there. I'm one of those people. I'm speaking from experience, not "piggy backing."

First: I bought a 32" 1080p TV primarily for my XBox. It's fine but I hate it. Part of the reason I hate it is that it comes with Roku hard installed, and Roku sucks ass. Some of the apps on it are slow and janky as hell. One of them routinely crashes to desktop and sometimes crashes the TV's entire OS. Occasionally Roku decides to move around menu options, change settings, or alter the desktop without input from me.

There are also prominent ads on the home screen, every time I turn on the TV, and I can't turn them off without blocking at the network level. (So this isn't the same as going into the iTunes store and seeing products, which you'd sorta expect, right? It's paying money for consumer electronics and still getting shitty ads on top of that.)

I don't have any complaints about the TV's picture or the sound or price. But in less than ~2 years, I'm already looking for an excuse to ditch it.

Second: The reason I recommend not buying something with a streaming whatever hard installed is because doing so limits your options. If you hate the service, like I do with Roku, you're stuck with it. You buy something else, you can try out different services (Roku, Chromecast, XBox, Playstation, whatever) and see what suits you best. If you wanna make a change down the line, you can do that too. But if you buy something pre-installed, it's there for the life of the machine.

I dont own a TV with preinstalled channels. I've set up a few for my parents. It's been a few years so maybe theyve improved, but I was not impressed. With roku boxes I can add new channels. Couldnt do that with those smart tvs. You can still hook a roku to a smart tv I guess, but at that, what's the point of a smart tv?

Irish when you say you hate roku, do you mean the roku specific tvs? Or all roku boxes in general? If so, what is limited on roku? (I'm not being snarky, I honestly dont know.)

- - - - -
    Example of the Q80T I installed in my daughter's playroom. You can also rearrange the order of which these are in the menu so you may not even see it at all.
    You scroll over these things so quick they barely register.
    There are ads on those screens so .... ?

Irish when you say you hate roku, do you mean the roku specific tvs? Or all roku boxes in general? If so, what is limited on roku? (I'm not being snarky, I honestly dont know.)
    Not sure what you mean by "limited on roku"? I hate it for all the reasons I listed in my previous post. It's a mediocre service made worse by the ads and if I could junk it and keep the TV, I would. But I can't.

There are ads on those screens so .... ?
    So no big deal when you hover over that 1 app.

And I agree with you about specific RokuTVs or AmazonFire TVs, or GoogleTVs but you're not going to find any DUMB tvs anymore. They are all going to have apps installed. Maybe I'm misreading you on saying don't go for a branded app TV rather than a TV that does the apps themselves? (Sony, Samsung, LG?)

- - - - -
    So no big deal when you hover over that 1 app.
    The problem is that it's virtually guaranteed not to stay that way. Once advertising is introduced into a system, it always grows. You never get fewer ads, you only get more. (Look at theaters and ballparks, for example.)

I balk at paying a premium for electronics and then being exposed to "sponsored content" forever. "Recommended apps" and "free movies" look like ads to me.

And I agree with you about specific RokuTVs or AmazonFire TVs, or GoogleTVs but you're not going to find any DUMB tvs anymore. They are all going to have apps installed. Maybe I'm misreading you on saying don't go for a branded app TV rather than a TV that does the apps themselves? (Sony, Samsung, LG?)
    I think all TVs with built-in OSes are dodgy, but I'm primarily talking about the ones with "streaming stick" services built into them. You can buy a Roku, Fire, or Chromecast tv.

Eg: This 65" TCL 4k OLED retails for ~$900 --- but it has no custom OS like a Samsung or a Vizio. Roku is built into it.

Eg: This 65" TCL 4k OLED retails for ~$900 --- but it has no custom OS like a Samsung or a Vizio. Roku is built into it.

Ah yeh that's probably why it's cheaper. Roku is buying their way into the TV for TCL, lowering the price for the consumer. Not a bad price though to get 65 inches.

... if I could junk it and keep the TV, I would. But I can't.
    Again, not trying to be condescending, just trying to understand...do you think that Roku is only a smartTV setup? Do you know there is a roku box you hook up to any tv that is capable of downloading new stuff? I totally believe the rokuTVs probably dont do that and agree its lame, but the boxes download loads of free stuff.

Again, not trying to be condescending, just trying to understand...do you think that Roku is only a smartTV setup? Do you know there is a roku box you hook up to any tv that is capable of downloading new stuff? I totally believe the rokuTVs probably dont do that and agree its lame, but the boxes download loads of free stuff.
    I'm sure the TV that Irish has does the same thing. He just hates the interface and the built in ads that roku has.

Years ago I had a roku. Can't say I miss it.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast