Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Watches Criterions

SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, ALEXANDER MACKENDRICK, 1957

Sweet Smell of Success is one of many in a long line of New York City masterpieces. It captures not only the high traffic sprawl, but also the culture and especially the seedy underbelly. In this case the sludge is the press, and is based on the life of Walter Winchell, one of the earliest and most influential gossip reporters. He had a massive following, seemingly limitless power, and according to many, was completely unscrupulous, unethical, and would use people and spit them out, building and destroying lives and careers.

Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis star in this vehicle, with Lancaster as the Winchell-inspired reporter named J.J. Hunsecker, and Curtis plays Sidney Falco, the smarmy press agent that thinks of little other than climbing the ladder to success. He is at the columnist's mercy, since being locked out of the column would mean the end for him. In order to curry favor, he goes the extra mile by trying to split up the relationship of Hunsecker's sister with a local musician. He is blackballed in the papers until he succeeds in the division, and none of his actions can trace back to Hunsecker.

There was a lot of talent behind this picture. Alexander Mackendrick was an unrecognized genius, known for making a handful of successful pictures for Ealing Studios. This was his first American film, and even though he was not equipped to handle the Hollywood-style kill-or-be-killed environment, he managed to pull off an amazing film. His success would not last as he would be fired from his next product. The writing was based on stories by Ernest Lehman, which were thinly veiled to be about Winchell, and the best parts of the screenplay were penned by playwright Clifford Odets. The rapid fire and biting dialog that occurs between the two larger-than-life characters was mostly the product of Odets and his constant rewriting. The result was a tightly-written and quickly-paced pictures, especially since it is mostly dialog driven. On top of all this talent, was James Wong Howe, cinematographer extraordinaire, who through Mackendrick's vision, captured New York City like no other.

Appropriately for the subject, the style and tone resembles a film noir, only without the typical stereotypes of the genre. There are no private detectives or unsolved murders at the core of the story. Compared with the noirs of the era, the plot is actually quite mundane, mostly about the rivalry and dependency between the two men, and what deceptive machinations they will undertake to accomplish their goals. The film looks, sounds, and flows beautifully.

The only weak point, and this is a minor one, is that it is such an indictment of the changing newspaper industry, most notably Winchell, that it seems heavy handed at times. Winchell, for all his faults, was not as calculating and overbearing as Lancaster's Hunsecker. If he were, he would have never achieved such a powerful position in the industry. On the other hand, his confrontational characterization made for some terrific character drama. If he were a weaker character, the climax might not be as impactful.

Movie Rating: 9.5/10

Special Features:

This disc has a treasure of features, almost too many. There were two that were exceptional. The 40-minute documentary, Mackendrick: The Man Who Walked Away, was fascinating, chronicling how the director went from the top of the British film system to an American director, to completely out of a career and into academia. His life is an example of how Hollywood was not all that indifferent from the cutthroat newspaper world that he so eloquently portrayed in his first American film.

Another terrific feature on the disc was an interview with Neal Gabler, a film critic and historian who had written a book about Winchell. His commentary was mostly about Winchell's history and legacy, and how his life was portrayed on the screen in what was a major character indictment. The character of Hunsecker was protective of his sister, but in real life, Winchell was protective of his daughter and outcasted one of her suitors, which is what the movie was based on.

There are other features, including a lengthy interview given by successful Hollywood filmmaker James Mangold, who studied under and was mentored by Mackendrick.

On top of that, the commentary by James Naremore has a wealth of information about the film, the time, and the production. There are many interesting details pointed out. One that struck me was how this film pushed back against the production code by ignoring its reservations and going forward as scripted anyway. He also points out that this is one of the first films that references the McCarthyism trend in the press of calling out communists, and that much of those behind the film had leftist leanings and an anti-HUAC agenda. This is peppered throughout the film, and it is used as the smoking gun that shoots the narrative into the third act, which is the leaked item suggesting that Dallas is a pot-smoking communist elitist.

This disc has some fine features and I didn’t even go into the packaging, which is also terrific. This is also a must for Blu-Ray owners and anyone with an interest in film history towards the end of the studio system.

Criterion Rating: 10/10

Sweet Smell... was one that I was tremendously expecting to love, as Odets's Waiting for Lefty remains insightful and stirring. I liked it upon finishing it, mainly because Burt Lancaster cuts such a striking portrait of narcissism and barely repressed desire, but something about it just felt slight to me. I think I wanted more from Susan's character.

In terms of newspaper men, jackassy leads, and Criterion films, I didn't love either this or Ace in the Hole which makes me feel like I'm more compassionate than I expected (I expected both films's cynicism to 100% register with me), so there's that, though I find SSoS to be more interesting to reflect upon.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Sweet Smell... was one that I was tremendously expecting to love, as Odets's Waiting for Lefty remains insightful and stirring. I liked it upon finishing it, mainly because Burt Lancaster cuts such a striking portrait of narcissism and barely repressed desire, but something about it just felt slight to me. I think I wanted more from Susan's character.

In terms of newspaper men, jackassy leads, and Criterion films, I didn't love either this or Ace in the Hole which makes me feel like I'm more compassionate than I expected (I expected both films's cynicism to 100% register with me), so there's that, though I find SSoS to be more interesting to reflect upon.
    Interesting parallels. I like Ace in the Hole, but consider it to be on a lower level than SSoS. I also think the audience is more in on the joke. It is pure satire and cynicism about media sensationalism, whereas SSoS is more of a straight noir and the cynicism towards the press was directed more at the individual rather than the institution, and there are a lot more layers to the story.

Lancaster was terrific in the role. The special features said they wanted Orson Welles, which I have a tough time visualizing. I just see a cross between Harry Lime and Citizen Kane, and I'm sure he'd be good, but it would be a completely different character than what Lancaster brought.

I actually liked the way they handled Susan, especially during the pivotal scene where Dallas confronts Hunsecker about the planted article. After all the bickering, they ask her what she wants, but they don't let her speak and they talk down to her. And I noticed more when watching the 2nd time with the commentary that she does a lot more with expressions, which fits because she was reduced to basically little beside these dominating, over-powerful individuals.

I would like to revisit both films, but my experience with them parallels dreamdead's pretty closely.

I generally love journalism films too, being a journalism major.

SHADOWS, JOHN CASSAVETES, 1959

As I watched John Cassavetes’ first film, I was struck immediately by how different it was from the films of the era, and how much in common it had with the French New Wave films that were just about to burst onto the scene. I have no idea whether Cassavetes had any inkling of Cahiers du Cinema or any of the young filmmakers who were concurrently putting on their first projects, but I think it is reasonable to say that they arrived at a similar place by taking the same route – the influences of the post-WWII films, particularly from the Americans.

Many have argued that because of the code and the routine during the last vestiges of the studio system, that innovation was falling by the wayside. The film world was ready to be shaken up and it most certainly was in the years to come, mostly by the French, but also by the advent of the American indie that Cassavetes could arguably have begun. The young American filmmakers to follow would be influenced by the New Wave in a huge part, but also by Cassavetes films, if to a lesser degree.

That’s not to say that Shadows is exactly like all the New Wave films, but neither were they like each other. Few people would lump Elevator to the Gallows, The 400 Blows and Breathless together as part of the same style. The point was they came from fresh, young perspectives, which was exactly what Cassavetes brought. Nothing like his portrayal of racial relations or the Beat Generation would be found in a studio film, and that was why it was revolutionary for American film. On top of that, it gave Cassavetes a filmmaking foothold to put together the type of independent dramas over the next two decades that he would become known for, even if they were different stylistically from his debut.

Shadows is not a great film. It is barely a good film. The post-script proudly proclaims that it was improvised (which wasn’t entirely true), and the actors were mostly novices, and the rust shows. The lack of polish is part of its charm. Some of the scenes were stilted, wooden and disjointed, like the African-American musicians talking about their business and the embarrassment of introducing a girl group. Other scenes seemed more natural and fluid, like the courtship and consummation between Ben and Lelia.

Even though it is hit or miss, it is valuable for capturing a scene that wasn’t always represented. There aren’t a lot of movies about the Beat Generation. It is in many ways a document of the culture, even if not a realistic representation of what it was really like.

Movie Rating: 6/10

Special Features:

This Blu-Ray disc features A Constant Forge, a whopping 3 hour and 20 minute documentary about Cassavetes and his process. Wow! From what I have read, the documentary is watchable, if not spectacular. I’m passing on it for now and may revisit after I’ve explored more of Cassavetes’ filmography.

The remaining features are minor. There is a brief interview with Lelia Goldoni, where she describes how she became involved with Cassavetes’ workshop and the atmosphere of his teachings. She talks about her experiences with the films and the improvisation or lack thereof. There is also some silent footage from the workshop and some stills, which gives a distant taste of what it might have been life.

Criterion Rating: TBD (once I watch the long documentary)

And that's probably the last one for a little while. We leave tomorrow for NYC for a week. I'd like to complete the Demy set when I get back, and then make my way through the Cassavetes set before diving into Love Streams when it comes out.

Also will be finishing Shoah when we get back.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I generally love journalism films too, being a journalism major.
    What are your favorites? I'd go with All the President's Men and Zodiac.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    What are your favorites? I'd go with All the President's Men and Zodiac.
    All the President's Men is as good as it gets for me. I feel like Zodiac was heavily inspired by it. The Insider is great. His Girl Friday even though it's a less serious take on the subject. Citizen Kane qualifies, I guess. Quite fond of Almost Famous and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas even though they aren't quite as good as those other five. Oh, Network, duh.

Still a lot of big ones I haven't seen. The Parralax View, The Killing Fields, Year of Living Dangerously, et al.

See The Parallax View if you can. Good film and a phenomenal ending.

I'd also add The Passenger and Shattered Glass as good journalism films, although the list begins and ends with Network for me.

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    However, it is the performance of Anton Walbrook, and the way his friendship unfolds with Candy, that is the emotional core. He has lived the highs and lows of the wars, whereas Candy has been comfortable smoking cigars, drinking sherry and hunting trophies all his life.
    I was actually struck when I watched it recently about how influential it seemed to be on later American war films, Patton sticking out the most. Entire portions of Coppola's script for Patton, most notably Patton's rapport with General Bradley seems to be inspired by this movie. I agree with this the most though, Anton Wolbrook's character provides the film with its heart beat and moral compass and while they remain great friends he's a great foil for the over the top Candy.

Its amazing this was ever released in WWII era Britain at all. Guess Churchill preferred his films to be galvanizing pictures of "moral fibre". Ya know, crap like Mrs Miniver in which there is nary a British character to even be found rather than a sensitive inward looking, soul searching movie like this one.
    Last Viewed:
    Au bonheurs des dames (1930, Duvivier) - ***1/2
    Cabaret (1972, Fosse) - ***
    The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964, Demy) - ***1/2
    The Forgiveness of Blood (2011, Marston) - ***
    A Woman Under the Influence (1974, Cassavettes) - ***1/2

Quote Quoting Briare (view post)
    I was actually struck when I watched it recently about how influential it seemed to be on later American war films, Patton sticking out the most. Entire portions of Coppola's script for Patton, most notably Patton's rapport with General Bradley seems to be inspired by this movie. I agree with this the most though, Anton Wolbrook's character provides the film with its heart beat and moral compass and while they remain great friends he's a great foil for the over the top Candy.

Its amazing this was ever released in WWII era Britain at all. Guess Churchill preferred his films to be galvanizing pictures of "moral fibre". Ya know, crap like Mrs Miniver in which there is nary a British character to even be found rather than a sensitive inward looking, soul searching movie like this one.
    Great comments! Churchill wasn't thrilled with it, for sure, and didn't support it, but couldn't really stop it either. Plus Powell and Pressburger had already helped deliver some messages he approved, most notably in The 49th Parallel. With their popularity, I doubt he would want to make noise by stifling their creativity.

I can definitely see the influence in Patton. You could draw a lot of parallels to Candy and Patton, and they had similar rises due to their cunning strategic abilities and strong moral fiber, and similar downfalls because they failed to adapt and let the world pass them by. You're right about it being the template for many other western war movies, especially when different generations are depicted. Powell and Pressburger happened to do it exceptionally well, and they were working with perhaps the best example of contrasting ideologies between the Colonial and Great War periods. There were a lot of older, Blimp-like characters and young bucks like Spud at the time.

I'll have to re-watch Patton sometime with Blimp in mind because I honestly hadn't made the connection until you just pointed it out.

The Killing Fields is really good. I was disappointed with The Parallax View although I still found it to be decent. It's been ages since I last saw it though.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Great comments! Churchill wasn't thrilled with it, for sure, and didn't support it, but couldn't really stop it either. Plus Powell and Pressburger had already helped deliver some messages he approved, most notably in The 49th Parallel. With their popularity, I doubt he would want to make noise by stifling their creativity.
    Wouldn't have surprised me considering how easily the British government has been able to use film censorship to keep anything they objected to off the screen, the portrayal of the Blimp character being damaging to the image of the British army officer- depicted as something of an old fashioned blustering buffoon refusing to fight dirty in the face of the odious Nazis. Though history remembers Churchill's objections might have been something a little more personal he seeing the film as nothing more than parody of him personally.

Regardless, great film.

Sweet Smell of Success is another one of my favorites. Burt Lancaster is such a magnificent asshole in it.

I really love The Sweet Smell of Success; it's one of those great movies that I will continue to revisit (I saw it on Bluray for the first time but I was also fortunate enough to catch a theatrical screening earlier this year). Tony Curtis' performance is one of my all-time favourites.

FACES, JOHN CASSAVETES, 1968

There are a lot of faces in John Cassavetes’ second film, Faces. His camera is not afraid of getting close, sometimes so close that it almost feels like you can see inside the faces inside the characters heads, and behind the façade they exhibit while they are out cavorting. The extreme close-ups are unnerving, the jump-cuts jarring, but altogether, it feels as polished as ever. The story is of a broken marriage, but it is told in an unconventional matter where, of all things, the characters spend much of their time laughing, telling bad jokes, singing, and living it up.

What is Cassavetes trying to say here? Is it that behind every happy face, there is a sad one underneath? Is he saying that laughter is a way of hiding the pain? I cannot claim to have these answers, and probably neither did Cassavetes. Writing this with the benefit of hindsight, we know that he was an alcohol and that’s what led to his eventual passing. He certainly had a lot of loud, raucous nights filled with laughter, but that laughter inevitably ends, and he certainly endured his share of hardship.

He wrote a good script and wanted to do something a little different with it, and some of what happened on screen was probably a direct result of the lack of a budget. Since they were shooting in 16mm, they had to get creative, and had to play with conventions. What he had played around with in Shadows, he nearly perfected in Faces. He made the characters seem like they were real people, with real issues and problems. The fake laughter was and wasn’t acting, as the characters themselves were acting out a scene that was not exactly true to their world – that they were all playing a part in the downfall of a relationship.

And I cannot say enough about the acting. There were two Oscar nominations, for Seymour Cassel and Lynn Carlin, but I think that Gena Rowlands and John Marley brought everything they could to the roles. Even Fred Draper, playing a character with his own name, was terrific at being the schlub who eventually becomes the third wheel, with his transparent attempts to stay within the party being refused. Another terrific performance was given by Joanne Moore Jordan as Louise Draper, who plays a jilted woman trying to take solace in a younger man, Chet, who has eyes for another. The entire ensemble was the best of the few Cassavetes films I’ve seen thus far.

Movie Rating: 8/10

Special Features:

Alternate Opening: The original cut had been over 180 minutes, and has not survived to this day. Apparently Cassavetes buried it after he cut down the film to the theatrical length. This new opening was found later and mixes things around. It begins with the bad joke banter between the Forsts, wbich comes later in the theatrical version. It also fleshes out some of the earlier scenes, including the bar at which Freddie and Richard meet Jeannie and how they end up at her apartment. It doesn’t add much to the movie, but you see that some of what was originally shot and was later cut around was originally a little more developed.

Cinéastes de notre temps: An episode of the French program was has footage of Cassavetes talking about the filmmaking progress before the release of the film, and giving a formal interview after the release. Usually I really enjoy these TV pieces, but this one went a little long and didn’t reveal much about the movie.

Making “Faces”: This was a lot better. It was nearly a feature length documentary about the process by which Faces was made, and had a lot of interesting tidbits from the actors. One thing that struck me was how Cassavates did not direct the actors. He would let them know when they weren’t on their game, but aside from that, they owned the role.

Lighting Faces: This was very technical and probably can only be truly appreciated by those who understand the finer details of cinematography. I admired some of what was revealed about how they used natural lighting, or made the film stock fit the mood of the scene, but much of it was robotic to me.

Criterion Rating: 8.5/10

THE BIG CHILL, LAWRENCE KASDAN, 1983

I first saw The Big Chill ages ago, when I was much younger and had a different perception of the world. I thought it was okay, recognizing that it was an above average film for the time, but wasn’t something I could relate to. At my age now, I should be able to relate to the material more, being in my early middle ages and having reunited with many old friends over the last several years. Sometimes a Criterion release will change my mind about a film, and I’m always willing to go in with an open mind.

My perception may have changed, but so has my appreciation for good cinema. I’ve seen at least a thousand films since that first viewing, and having seen so many good ensemble movies, this one felt lackluster by comparison. I actually liked it far less than the first time, when I was a teenager, and that is partly because I have experienced other, better films, but also because I have lived enough to have an understanding of genuine nostalgia and emotion.

In one of the special features, someone mentioned that one of the producers said “I had no idea this was a comedy.” I actually felt the same way, and didn’t realize that it was intended to be a comedy until hearing this from the filmmakers. There was not a funny note. Sure, there were some playful moments, and the way they incorporated the big dance scene was fun. My guess is they intended Meg Tilly and Jeff Goldblum to be comedic relief, but they completely fell flat.

They also try too hard to make things seem important. The emotional character moments are not earned and don’t seem genuine. Sure, it is difficult to develop such a large ensemble where there’s not a leading man, but it has been done before. From the same era, there’s The Breakfast Club and Hannah and Her Sisters. More recently, there’s The World’s End, which is a real reunion comedy with emotional moments. The big difference between The Big Chill and these other films is that Chill goes out of it’s way to try to create profound, insightful character moments, yet with completely undeveloped characters. These other films develop the characters around the story and let the emotional moments come from there.

What is most interesting about this project is that the large ensemble became pretty well known, and most of them are actively working today. Some are famous, and most are now proven, experienced, quality actors. You can tell that they were just beginning to develop their chops, and maybe with better material and direction, they could have pulled it off. The potential was there, which makes it all the more disappointing to revisit and witness its failure.

Movie Rating: 3/10

Special Features:

Lawrence Kasdan Interview: I’m not sure what it was, but Kasdan does not come off as very bright in this interview. Maybe it is his speaking cadence. He talks about working within the Hollywood system to create good movies, and seems a bit arrogant by talking up his work, which to me has been mostly mediocre. He talks about some films that inspired him, and compares this one to Rules of the Game. I hope he wasn’t serious.

1998 Documentary: This also didn’t work for me, and I think I might have enjoyed it more if I liked the movie. Most of it was about people talking about their characters, the production, with a lot of clips. I actually didn’t finish this one.

TIFF Reunion Panel 2013: This was better, but that’s because the actors have now become successful, and it is interesting hearing them recall their experiences and the wonderful times they had.

Deleted Scenes: Pass. If they weren’t good enough to make the movie, then I’d rather not see them.

Criterion Rating: 4/10

I hated it when I saw it in college over twenty years ago, and I hated what I saw of it when DSNT rewatched it. Just a terribly phony movie.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    I hated it when I saw it in college over twenty years ago, and I hated what I saw of it when DSNT rewatched it. Just a terribly phony movie.
    Apart from watching it with DSNT, this sums up my feelings as well. Terrible film.

Glad I'm not alone.

I'm not a fan of every Criterion film, but I usually understand why they are added to the collection. Not in this case. This film is not worthy in my opinion.

- - - - -
    You're not alone. I've never met anyone who appreciates this movie who isn't a Boomer. It's a generational circle jerk, the kind of thing that was overpraised by critics who were roughly the same age as the characters in the movie at the time of its release. (I dunno what the GenX and Millenial equivalent would be-- Richard Linklater's _______?).

For some reason, Big Chill stuck around. I never understood why.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    (I dunno what the GenX and Millenial equivalent would be-- Richard Linklater's _______?).
    Dazed and Confused was another example I thought of while writing this up, but The Big Chill isn't even in the same league.

My parents are Boomers and they like the film, so maybe you're onto something.

- - - - -
    Dazed and Confused was another example I thought of while writing this up, but The Big Chill isn't even in the same league.
    Dazed and Confused is a good example. Maybe Slacker too or something like Boyhood or Zach Braff's Garden State.

November Criterions

The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind - Monte Hellman
    It Happened One Night - Frank Capra
    L'avventura - Antonioni Blu-Ray upgrade
    Tootsie - Sidney Pollack
    Les Blank Documentaries - boxset

Interesting month. I haven't seen the Hellman duo or any Les Blank flicks.

Not a fan of Tootsie and it doesn't seem Criterion-worthy, but neither did The Big Chill.

Possibly grabbing all of these. Definitely the Hellman, Antonioni and Capra.

I'm not overly fluent in Les Blank, but you should at least see Burden of Dreams, which is great.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I'm not overly fluent in Les Blank, but you should at least see Burden of Dreams, which is great.
    Forgot about that one. I've seen it and loved it. But it's not on this boxset.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast