Thread: Aaron Watches Criterions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Aaron Watches Criterions

It has been awhile since I've regularly frequented this board. A lot of that time was spent growing up, finishing school, and pursuing other interests. Meanwhile, I have remained a film buff. In fact, I will soon graduate with a film studies minor (was going to be a double major, but the department had staffing issues for a couple years). I've continued to watch plenty of films, new and old, and have amassed a large collection of DVDs.

The Criterion Collection DVDs are the ones that I cherish the most. I began collecting them in the early 2000s. I remember there was one time where I sold a lot of old belongings on eBay. Rather than put the money in my bank account, I turned around and ordered a number of Criterions. As they have transitioned to Blu-Ray, I've collected them more regularly and aggressively. Lately I have bought a large amount of Blu-Rays and have put together a decent collection.

You can see my entire collection here.

I have seen many of these movies before, although I'll frequently blind buy a title if it looks interesting. If I hate it, I'll just resell it online, although that has only happened a couple of times.

Out of the 156 titles currently listed in my collection (some of which are pre-orders), there are probably about 50 I haven't seen. Some of those titles are large box-sets with many films, for instance the Zatoichi Box has 26 films. So the actual number of unseen films is probably above 100.

I own others I have seen before and treasure. For instance, the upcoming La Dolce Vita, which I have pre-ordered, is one that I saw about a decade ago. It is among my favorite Fellini's, but with the passage of time and having seen many other films in between, the details have faded from memory. Criterion gives me the opportunity to revisit a film like this, and since their Blu-Ray transfers are usually top notch, it is practically a new experience. In addition, the features give me a lot of context about the films. Although I've studied some of these movies in classes, in a lot of respects, a Criterion disc is a film class in a box.

Match Cut seems to be the most appropriate place for me to post and blog about my Criterion experiences as they happen. I look forward to hearing feedback and comments on what I watch, even if they do not agree with me.

In some ways this will be like a blog. I'll talk about the film, whether it is a new viewing or rewatch, will watch all or most of the features and talk about those, give a rating, and so on. Since I pre-order most of the Criterions as they are released, this will become a place for me to review a lot of releases. Meanwhile I also rent titles from the library, especially titles that haven't been upgraded, so I'll give those a look as well.

I hope you enjoy, and I encourage you to share any thoughts and suggestions.
    I'm glad to be back, and looking forward to this project.

Index of Titles:
    []

Box Sets:
    []
    Last edited by DSNT; 03-03-2015 at 11:11 PM.