Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Curb Your Enthusiasm

how do you mean?
    It's a big metafictional joke. Everybody tells Larry early on how reunion shows are so lame and disappointing and he says no, we'll do this one right. And what he's actually referring to there is the fact that the only way a Seinfeld reunion wouldn't come off tired or desperate or pointless at this point is if it took place on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Seinfeld is such a '90s show to begin with and it wouldn't even make sense in the context of the aughts. There are a lot of big winks throughout the season addressing this point. They poke fun at it most obviously by making the reunion show itself so lame

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)
    It's a big metafictional joke. Everybody tells Larry early on how reunion shows are so lame and disappointing and he says no, we'll do this one right. And what he's actually referring to there is the fact that the only way a Seinfeld reunion wouldn't come off tired or desperate or pointless at this point is if it took place on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Seinfeld is such a '90s show to begin with and it wouldn't even make sense in the context of the aughts. There are a lot of big winks throughout the season addressing this point. They poke fun at it most obviously by making the reunion show itself so lame
    if that was the case i don't think they did a good enough job i do agree the blackberry bit and iphone/madoff stuff seemed to be winking at seinfeld being such a 90s show. but i don't see the reunion show as being intentionally lame. larry and cheryl seemed pleased with it at the end. i do agree it probably only works in the context of curb. a real seinfeld reunion likely wouldn't be very satisfying. still, the actors still have such a great rapport with each other and i thought the last two episodes of curb demonstrated they haven't lost much.

Nah, they really haven't lost a step. Like I say, I was surprised by how much the reunion show aesthetically resembled Seinfeld and that the cast still had that same rhythm, especially Michael Richards

To your point about Cheryl and Larry saying the reunion was good, yeah, it was implied that the reunion was well-received within the fantastical Curb universe. But I mean, man, I thought it was so obviously supposed to come off as lame to us. Maybe I'll rewatch the last episode

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)
    Nah, they really haven't lost a step. Like I say, I was surprised by how much the reunion show aesthetically resembled Seinfeld and that the cast still had that same rhythm, especially Michael Richards

To your point about Cheryl and Larry saying the reunion was good, yeah, it was implied that the reunion was well-received within the fantastical Curb universe. But I mean, man, I thought it was so obviously supposed to come off as lame to us. Maybe I'll rewatch the last episode
    perhaps i should rewatch it as well.

Best Boy
    Do you guys think this season was better than Season 6?

I think I prefer that one actually.

Quote Quoting angrycinephile (view post)
    Do you guys think this season was better than Season 6?

I think I prefer that one actually.
    Yeah, same here.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Overall I would say this is my second favorite season of the show, the first being season 4.

i prefer season 6 overall, but really love the three seinfeld episodes.

Decent laughs for the end, but the best bits are usually when the Seinfeld show wasn't at the forefront. The faux-pedophilia being the highlight of the best few episodes.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Best Boy
    It seems as if many people thought the latest season would be the last but an eight season has recently been confirmed.

Looking forward to it. I demand more Larry/Leon interaction.

Anyone see last night's? Instant classic. I loved Leon wearing glasses and suddenly gaining everyone's favour. Not to mention Buckner's "redemption".

"No wonder why she wasn't comin' upstairs, she was comin' downstairs."

Wow, that was a fantastic episode.

[
    ]

wonderful finale. I don't think this quite tops season 4 but it was still an amazing season.

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled by the finale (still good though), but overall that was an excellent season.

[
    ]

Pissed or Parkinson's?
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

The kid was great too.

"Get a life, Jews!"

Yeah, I really liked the season overall. Can't believe it's going this strong after eight years of situational humour.

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Pissed or Parkinson's?
    I don't even watch the show, but saw that scene on YouTube. Hilarious. Michael J Fox just gets more awesome.

"I'll be back in two shakes."

i didn't dislike this season by any means. and there were some great episodes, palestinian chicken and the bi-sexual in particular. but to me it was the first season where it felt like things were kind of spinning their wheels.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    i didn't dislike this season by any means. and there were some great episodes, palestinian chicken and the bi-sexual in particular. but to me it was the first season where it felt like things were kind of spinning their wheels.
    Agreed, the season lacked a real arc.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I finished my rewatch of Seinfeld a month or so ago and now I've been watching through Curb. I had only seen the first two seasons previously and I just finished season 6. Such a great finale.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Just finished the series last night. I'll agree with others here that the eighth season was the weakest but I still enjoyed it. I can not get enough of Larry and Leon interactions. Every single time the music starts and Larry does the "eye thing" me and my wife crack up.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

It's coming back for 9th season

Asked why he decided to come back, David said, “In the immortal words of Julius Caesar, ‘I left, I did nothing, I returned.’”
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I can't believe it's already been five full years since Season 8, but I've been wanting this since the minute that ended, so now that it's actually real: !!!!!!
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234