View Poll Results: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

32 91.43%
  • Nay

3 8.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (Matt Reeves)

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Also, if you pay attention, all of the apes' dialogue is in iambic pentameter.
    Now that's impressive. Signing in any rhythm and meter is difficult.

Conversely, the humans' dialogue is all in prose. A subtle way of showing that they are going to become the lower class.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I think those connections are pretty tenuous and superficial. I never got a Shakespearean feel at all.
    Maybe so, but I have Rick Jaffa, one of the screenwriters, right here. Take it away Rick.

Quote Quoting Rick Jaffa cowriter of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    In the first movie, there was a bit of—forgive me for this!—there was a bit of Shakespeare’s Henry V, of Prince Hal. We thought it would be interesting to use Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar as a bit of a template for this movie, with themes of brotherhood and betrayal.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Maybe so, but I have Rick Jaffa, one of the screenwriters, right here. Take it away Rick.
    That's cool and all, but pretty much any movie can be said to have a Shakespearean theme. Thus is the greatness of Shakespeare. I mean, I see the connection, I just don't think it's very noteworthy, nor does it add anything to the quality of the narrative.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I didn't notice that he was. Was he referred to as such, or was there a name tag I missed?
    Dreyfus
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    The Jaffa-Silver, husband-wife, writer-producer team have championed a smart, story-lead blockbuster that balances geopolitical commentary with gripping entertainment, computer graphic spectacle with sensitive staging, and B-movie thrills with intimately drawn characters and relationships.

A clumsily titled film about talking monkeys has no right to be this good.

★★★★★
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    This was so bad, I don't even, huh? 4 stars? This was the laziest piece of crap CGI spectacle I've seen since Godzilla. Bland white male human protagonist, check. Bland, utterly perfunctory female sidekick, check. Token wife monkey having a child, check. Bland, perfunctory, boring teenager, check. Irrationally angry guy. Token black guy. I don't even remember any of their names. Caesar is the only interesting character whatsoever and that's almost entirely due to knowing his backstory from the immensely superior first film.

This was just so stupid. I can't believe I'm the only nay.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I have found that this one really already hasn't stuck with me quite like the first one has. Still good, but I'd say that Rise was overall superior.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Now that I've finally watched this one and rewatched all the rest over the last month here's my ranking for my favorite film series of all time:

1. Planet of the Apes (1968)
    2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    3. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    4. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (unrated version/has original completely different ending)
    5. Beneath the Planet of the Apes
    6. Escape from the Planet of the Apes

Top 6 are all very good films, the bottom 2 not terrible just very mediocre

7. Battle for the Planet of the Apes
    8. Planet of the Apes (Burton)
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    This was so bad, I don't even, huh? 4 stars? This was the laziest piece of crap CGI spectacle I've seen since Godzilla. Bland white male human protagonist, check. Bland, utterly perfunctory female sidekick, check. Token wife monkey having a child, check. Bland, perfunctory, boring teenager, check. Irrationally angry guy. Token black guy. I don't even remember any of their names. Caesar is the only interesting character whatsoever and that's almost entirely due to knowing his backstory from the immensely superior first film.

It's a Hollywood movie. Those trappings are to be expected.

What matters is what Matt Reeves and the Jaffa-Silver team do with said trappings.
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

This was so bad, I don't even, huh? 4 stars? This was the laziest piece of crap CGI spectacle I've seen since Godzilla

Mine was a somewhat reluctant yay. I agree that the first film was much more engaging and rich character-wise, as well as having better action scenes.

One thing I did like about this film is that it suggests that wars aren't fought because of differences in race or creed, as much as because every large group has assholes that antagonize, exploit fear and screw everything up for everybody else.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Token wife monkey having a child, check.
    lol @ this being on your list of cliches.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    lol @ this being on your list of cliches.
    That cliche appears in every movie, dude.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Saw this while I was in London, cause I wanted to see something at Leicester Square. Thought it was fantastic. Beautiful imagery and great work from the mo-cap actors/special effects peeps. Damn, Koba was freaking scary as shit, all the more because he had pretty legitimate grievances and saw some obvious problems developing. Nice message about missed connections and crossed wires.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting max314 (view post)
    It's a Hollywood movie. Those trappings are to be expected.

What matters is what Matt Reeves and the Jaffa-Silver team do with said trappings.
    Sure. My point was that they didn't do anything interesting with the trappings, like, at all. They were just there. Good CGI mo-cap work doesn't excuse the fact that the script was a half-baked piece of monkey crap like most big-budget Hollywood fare.

"Token wife having a child in the midst of a crisis providing motivation for the male protagonist" is most definitely a cliché. Just because it's a monkey doesn't suddenly make it good or original.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Scripts are overrated.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

:| So movies should just be vapid and incoherent excuses to show off special effects?

Compelling geopolitical drama, nice Shakespearean aspirations, great Young Republican ending resolute about all-out war and monocultural endgame (with a human/ape friendship fully realizing on such a resolution), great Giacchino score, questionable everything else.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Could've sworn I posted in this thread a month ago. . .but I saw this movie again this weekend, and I still think it's the best movie of the summer, and one of the best movies of the year so far. Matt Reeves put his stamp on this movie, the visual effects are jaw-dropping, Serkis is tremendous. . .the entire movie is just visual storytelling at its finest, with compelling substance to boot.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    the entire movie is just visual storytelling at its finest, with compelling substance to boot.
    Yeah no kidding. I remember having a conversation about sign language with a cinephile buddy of mine. Something along the lines of it being inherently cinematic because it is a strictly visual language (I think we were discussing Altman's Nashville and Haneke's Code Unknown)...anyway this movie reinforced that notion.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Conversely, the humans' dialogue is all in prose. A subtle way of showing that they are going to become the lower class.
    :lol: Funniest exchange on MC since Boner and KF's grudge match outside Wal Mart.

Anyway, I thought the movie was excellent until [
    ]. Before that, it was a compelling, dramatic story of tribalism, anger and mistrust, and war...but starring talking monkeys. Brilliant. [
    ] But after that point it devolved into increasingly cliched Hollywood scenes of contrived suspense, hammy villainy, and overblown action, complete with [
    ]
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Anyway, I thought the movie was excellent until [
    ]
    Completely agree with this. It's an impressive production, great special effects, and the story engaging up until that point, at which it just became silly. Felt like a cop-out, and I had almost completely tuned out by the end during that CGI showdown on the tower. Some of the earlier battle scenes managed to feel grounded and tangible, but that showdown was nonsense. I still loved the final moments, though, with Jason Clarke receding into the shadows as Caesar looks out over his clan, and the last shot being an echo of the opening.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Incredible.

This film elevates this franchise to my favorite new genre series.

Gorgeous looking, fantastic acting, tense action, and expertly made.

Also, the best special effects I've ever seen. Can't wait for the 3rd.

I cannot believe MC is so pro on this flick. This might be the worst movie I've seen from 2014 so far. Especially the third act. Things happen for no reason (why did all the apes want the tower?), the film goes day night day night with Michael Bay consistency (none), human motivations nonsensical and failing [
    ]...this was a fucking trainwreck. And I havent even mentioned the bipolar CGI...
    Last edited by Skitch; 02-15-2015 at 04:07 AM.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Hah, I chose to watch this tonight independent of your post and had a completely different reaction, finding it a tremendously simple but effective story. The third act dips a little too much into cliche, but even then it invigorates the cliche by giving it meaning - the tall fall is a critical moment for Caesar, pushing him to accept a new moral complexity, one he is clearly not thrilled by. And how about that final image we see of a person, simply receding from view. At the least, it's fucking gorgeous, Reeves lensing the film with crisp classical direction, critical moments given an extra finesse (the tank image literally swerves the film into its second half).

What I really appreciated was how the film simply introduces characters, gives them their motivations, and lets them loose to clash. There are no huge reversals or surprises, no twists, just a story of people incapable of coexisting. Put it this way. This is one of the first genre films I've seen in ages where I was dreading the upcoming battles, because I cared so much about people on both sides. In that regard, it's a stunning rejection of boilerplate summer thrills. There's an elegance here, and a trust in the audience - the first 12 minutes trust we will care with only expression and sign language and visual storytelling.

I'm with Davis. Barring my shoddy memory, this is now the best sci-fi franchise around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast