Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask Hugh Grant

Ask Hugh Grant

We have a scholar in our midst. Let's learn from her.

What was your Jeopardy story?

How hard was it to qualify for the show?

What are you going to do with the money?

How nervous were you on a scale of 1 to 10?

Are you still married to Dissent?

When you open a yogurt do you lick the top of the container or just let it be?
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

When you open a yogurt do you lick the top of the container or just let it be?
    I hate the texture of yogurt container tops! (I'm thinking of the foil kind.) So, no, I just toss 'em.
    On a related note, I'm somewhat addicted to Chobani's Key Lime Flip yogurt. I'll buy ten of them at a time.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Are you still married to Dissent?
    Eight years next month!

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Obviously the most pertinent question... at the end of the show, when you stand out in the center of the set talking to Trebek (the credits roll on the TV), what is he saying? Silly things about himself? Selling you life insurance?
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

How nervous were you on a scale of 1 to 10?
    11. I had to take one of my anti-anxiety pills before I taped, which brought me down to a 9 or a 10. I remember that my legs were shaking while standing on the podium and I was trying my best not to lean because it drives me nuts when I see Jeopardy contestants lean.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Obviously the most pertinent question... at the end of the show, when you stand out in the center of the set talking to Trebek (the credits roll on the TV), what is he saying? Silly things about himself? Selling you life insurance?
    On the first night, he was asking me about Final Jeopardy wagering--I bet a lot, and the champ I beat didn't--and I talked about how my love of linguistics led me to be very confident. The second night's conversation, which I somehow forgot until one of the competitors reminded me about it, was very odd. The Final Jeopardy answer was "Quasimodo" and after talking about the Elephant Man and the Mutter Museum, the chit-chat ended with Alex talking about how, when he was young and single, he wanted to have a "coffin bar."

I have to say that Alex is funny guy. Not just because of his would-be bachelor coffin bar, but his interactions with the audience during breaks in the game.

Did you practice with a buzzer in any way to get the timing of the buzz-in right?

Is knowing the answer to a question but being early/late/off on the ring-in the most infuriating thing ever?

For your eighth-year anniversary, what film will you two be recreating?
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

What are you going to do with the money?
    Save most of it. (I did tell Jimmy of the Clue Crew in the Winner's Circle interview that I wanted to go to Nunavut, but I don't think dissent would be down with that.) Luckily, we have no car payments, no credit card debt, no kids, no student loans, so at this point I just want to put it away for a rainy day.

Also, I'm going to donate some of it--the local no-kill shelter where we adopted our kitten Alex (hee hee), my alma mater, our local indie theater.

The first two questions are rather involved, so I'll get to them tomorrow.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Did you practice with a buzzer in any way to get the timing of the buzz-in right?

Is knowing the answer to a question but being early/late/off on the ring-in the most infuriating thing ever?

For your eighth-year anniversary, what film will you two be recreating?
    If I had to do it all over again, I would have practiced more with something buzzer-like.

The second game, I was getting frustrated because I knew the answers to so many questions, but I couldn't get the timing right. I think I was buzzing in too early, and then too late. There's a light that flashes on the board (not seen by the viewers at home, or even the folks in the audience), and no one can ring in until that light flashes, usually right after Alex stops talking. For me, it was a combination of categories that weren't really up my alley + buzzer issues. I was happy with second place, though.

Film recreation? Well, we will be in New York for our anniversary. But my husband is still recovering from his hip injuries, so we couldn't do a walk like we did in Paris.

On a related note, I got this nice postcard from a couple in Canada who were moved by my Before Sunset anecdote!

I miss Dissent. He was/still is good people.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Does the filming go as fast as you see on TV or do they do any re-takes because Alex stumbled on the answers or for any reason?

How many shows do they film per day?

Thom Yorke is British. Do you think he's attractive?

Have you ever been arrested?

Have you ever been arrested?
    Nope.

Thom Yorke is British. Do you think he's attractive?
    You know, Thom Yorke doesn't do anything for me. As far as his band, [unpopular opinion coming] I think they peaked with The Bends.

How many shows do they film per day?
    Five. They only film Jeopardy on Tuesday and Wednesday. I was actually in the audience for the Tuesday taping, so I saw all the episodes for the week that preceded my show. There is a contestant pool, and names are picked randomly to tape, and my name was not called on Tuesday. So I came back the next day, and my name was called for the first game. Prior to taping, there is rehearsal, a talk about legalities (I could say nothing before the show aired, other than the date I'd be on, and only dissent knew the outcome because he was in the studio audience), practice with the anecdotes, taping the Hometown Howdies.

Does the filming go as fast as you see on TV or do they do any re-takes because Alex stumbled on the answers or for any reason?
    I was surprised how few retakes there were. There were some delays if a contestant's answer was debated and yes, I think Trebek flubbed a few bits, but not many times at all. And the "commercial breaks" the television audience sees? That was a time for Alex to talk to the audience while the contestants take their short break and the producers would make sure everything was in order. That was the only time we could drink water, but I was afraid to drink too much water because I kept thinking of that quiz show scene in Magnolia.

I'm getting to the first two questions, Benny. Busy day at work.

Excellent responses and questions so far.

Did you have to wear make-up? Did they let you do your own, or did the professional folks do it? If it was the professional folks, were they nice about it, or snotty?
    ...and the milk's in me.

What did you do immediately following the show?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

What would happen if you leaked that you won early? Would you lose your money? Would the government kill you?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    What would happen if you leaked that you won early? Would you lose your money? Would the government kill you?
    Our non-disclosure agreement was several pages long! During that legal talk I mentioned upthread, a member of the production crew told us a cautionary tale of a woman who had won three days, came home from the taping, and announced on Facebook something like "I just got back from Jeopardy where I won three games!" A "friend" saw the update and called the Jeopardy folks to snitch, basically. I'm not sure of the outcome, but her winnings were at stake.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    What did you do immediately following the show?
    dissent had traveled with me to California three weeks after major hip surgery, so after my second show, I wanted to get him back to the hotel to rest. I could have stayed to watch the remaining games, but I was tired and and he was in pain, so I did my exit interview and we drove out of Sony Pictures. (I don't remember if it was on Tuesday or Wednesday when Adam Sandler walked by.)

I've heard you can lose your winnings.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Did you have to wear make-up? Did they let you do your own, or did the professional folks do it? If it was the professional folks, were they nice about it, or snotty?
    This is one of my favorite stories! We had to wear make-up and we couldn't apply our own (good thing for me since I never wear it), so they had a make-up lady. Apparently, the lady worked on Dancing with the Stars, and she was very nice. While she was applying my make-up, she said to me, "You have such nice skin!"

They did not have a hair person, and my hair always has this fingers-in-the-electrical-socket look, so I had my hair cut fairly short. I went to a new place right before I left town, and they did a great job, but when I first left the salon, I looked like Randy Quaid in Kingpin, so I had a bit of a meltdown. But when I washed it again, I let it frizz out, and it was all good.

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I miss Dissent. He was/still is good people.
    I miss you too, sweetheart.

For our NYC trip, I'm already eyeing the screening of Days of Heaven at MoMA.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I've heard you can lose your winnings.
    And that's why I said nothing except "watch me on [airdate] to find out!"

Rumor has it that Ken Jennings never told his mom about his run because he was afraid she would blab.

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    I miss you too, sweetheart.

For our NYC trip, I'm already eyeing the screening of Days of Heaven at MoMA.
    It's dissent! Back from the dead! (He's sitting five feet from me in the living room. Hee hee.)

And as for what *I* did with the money! well I pretty much bought all of these. It was technically with my/our own money, but knowing we have that big check coming definitely made a difference.

Any truth to the rumors that Alex Trebek is actually Vorta in disguise?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast