Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ask Hugh Grant

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    How hard was it to qualify for the show?
    The statistic that is commonly given for odds of getting on the show: ~100,000 people take the online test. From that number, about 3,000 go on to the regional auditions. At the regional auditions, we had to take another test, we played a mock game, and then we had an interview. We are told that our names are put in a the big pool for 18 months. I think ~400 people actually get The Call to head to Cali.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Any truth to the rumors that Alex Trebek is actually Vorta in disguise?
    *googles Vorta*

Wow, people really like Star Trek.

And contestants aren't paid until 120 days after the last airdate, so those Criterions were bought on credit, dear hubby.

Do you have any relation to a man named Dave Ryan from a morning radio show in Minneapolis?

What was your Jeopardy story?
    The extremely short version:
    • Took the online test in 2013.
    • Got an email to go to Nashville for a regional audition in May 2013.
    • Waited.
    • Got "The Call" in early 2014.
    • Went to California shortly thereafter to tape
    • First episode aired in mid-2014; won one episode, lost the second one.

I'll add a little more in a bit.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Do you have any relation to a man named Dave Ryan from a morning radio show in Minneapolis?
    *looks at Dave Ryan's Twitter*
    No, I'm not his cousin, but I saw her episode yesterday.

Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    The extremely short version:
    • Took the online test in 2013.
    • Got an email to go to Nashville for a regional audition in May 2013.
    • Waited.
    • Got "The Call" in early 2014.
    • Went to California shortly thereafter to tape
    • First episode aired in mid-2014; won one episode, lost the second one.

I'll add a little more in a bit.
    Actually, what I meant by jeopardy story was the personal story you told during the "meet the contestants" segment of the show.

But do add more to what you started telling, too, please.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Don't have much else to add here except a big "CONGRATULATIONS!".

That's super cool. Glad you had a good time.

Actually, what I meant by jeopardy story was the personal story you told during the "meet the contestants" segment of the show.

But do add more to what you started telling, too, please.
    Oh, I see!

Every Jeopardy contestant has to fill out a long personal information survey. It was fun filling out, but the hard thing was finding five anecdotes. I even asked my parents for help jogging my memory. I'm just not that interesting. lol. And there are some things my friends know about me, but I would not want to announce to a nationwide audience, such as my interest in grief tourism and plane crash history.

Frankly, I don't remember all five, but here are the two featured on the show:
    1. I collect banknotes. Actually, I wasn't expecting this story--we practiced #2 more in pre-taping--so my bit about the 100 trillion Zimbabwe note was ad-libbed.
    2. The Before Sunset story. dissent and I saw Before Sunset when we were dating, and on our honeymoon, we retraced (most of) the steps of Hawke and Delpy when we were in Paris.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Don't have much else to add here except a big "CONGRATULATIONS!".

That's super cool. Glad you had a good time.
    Thank you! It was something on my bucket list, and I never thought I would have a chance to get on, much less win, so I can put "Jeopardy champ" on my epitaph.

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    I miss you too, sweetheart.

For our NYC trip, I'm already eyeing the screening of Days of Heaven at MoMA.
    Haha.

And nice. That's one film I still need to see. I believe I'm friends with the both of you on Facebook .
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

By the way, if you want to see my appearance on my local news and scenes from our party, here's a link. dissent makes a cameo, too.

If names are picked randomly, and 400 people are there, does that mean some people who qualified won't get to be on the show?

Do they pay for your hotel and meals?

Can you convince dissent to post here more often?

Do you have any idea what happened to Elephant Shoes?

Do you store batteries in your refrigerator?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Haha.

And nice. That's one film I still need to see. I believe I'm friends with the both of you on Facebook .
    That we are. And have been for years.

Aside from Tree of Life, which is in a category of it's own, Days of Heaven is the most beautiful Malick I've seen, and probably the second most accessible next to Badlands. Pretty much the entire film is shot at magic hour. Try to watch the Blu Ray version if you can.

And yes, I'm in the video link above wearing a Jeopardy hat. There's another resident of the forums who was present at the party, but I'll keep his anonymity.

Mrs. Grant has gone to sleep, so I'll field this one.

If names are picked randomly, and 400 people are there, does that mean some people who qualified won't get to be on the show?
    If memory serves, there were only 12 people there on the first taping day, one of which was the returning champion. Nobody knows who will be up next, so they all sit in a bullpen of sorts near the studio audience, which was about 10 feet away from where I was sitting. After each game, they choose randomly so that they cannot be accused of any shenanigans. Andrea and a guy named Brian didn't get chosen on the first day, so they came back the next day with another ten or so people.

Do they pay for your hotel and meals?
    Sadly, no, but we did get a special rate that was pretty inexpensive. Expenses are sort of covered since you will win something just for appearing ($2,000 for 2nd, $1,000 for 3rd), but a lot of people shoot for 2nd just because most expenses are still over $1,000 with flight and all.

Can you convince dissent to post here more often?
    Yeah, I suck. I love this place and am still as much of a cinephile as ever. It's tough to keep up with this place and balance busy life stuff like work and school. The good news is I'm graduating later this year (history/film studies degree), so I'll try to keep up with the goings on around here.

My guess is they are still on the Elephant's Feet.

Do you store batteries in your refrigerator?
    Freezer. And we had a sort of battery emergency yesterday when one of the remotes ran out and it only takes AAA. We seem to have a lifetime supply of AA. Lesson learned. Plan ahead.

No idea, but oddly enough, one of the last posts he made at RT was about how he was auditioned for Who Wants to Be A Millionaire!

Sorry I wasn't clearer on this--the random choosing of names referred to the group that's taping that day. The boards are randomly picked, too. (This is all a byproduct of the 50s quiz show scandals.)

Did your show film before Arthur Chu's run aired?

In other words, were you aware of his strategy before you went on the show?

Did you have any strategy in mind before you went up there?

Did you go "in order" when you had control of the board or did you jump around a bit?

What surprised you most about the whole experience, something that the gen public doesn't know about, and that you didn't know before you went?

Did your show film before Arthur Chu's run aired?

In other words, were you aware of his strategy before you went on the show?

Did you have any strategy in mind before you went up there?

Did you go "in order" when you had control of the board or did you jump around a bit?
    Funny you mention Arthur. I taped in the middle of his televised run, and we all thought he'd be waiting for us in the green room where they kept us before taping. Turns out we all just missed Julia Collins whose 20-game run had ended the week before.

I'll be honest--his strategy was fresh in my mind. There was one time that I went "out of order" in a category I was strong in, or I thought I was strong in and I went for the middle of the category clue. Got the Daily Double...and missed it. But I got the money back with the next question.

The producers told us several times to find a strategy that worked for us, so I was just trying to find a comfort zone in buzzer use, category selection, how I stood on the podium.

I'll answer the last question in a bit.

What was funny about her out-of-order moment was she didn't know that Alex had just fielded a question from the audience about whether that strategy worked. The question was prompted by Arthur, who pretty much everyone was familiar with by then.

His answer was that it mostly didn't help. Clues have a logical order and you miss that if you bounce around. The only time you have an advantage is when you are strong in a particular category.

Once they came back from commercial, Mrs. Grant said "Dialects for $1,200." Alex didn't say it out loud, but I could practically hear his inner "motherfucker!".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12