2 66.67%

Thread: Almost Human (Joe Begos)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Almost Human (Joe Begos)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Despite this having an awesome poster/DVD cover, it's not that awesome of a movie. The only real reason I'm YAYing this is because it holds a strikingly similar feel to Xtro, which we have been talking about in the horror thread for a few weeks now. The acting is horrible, so you need to look past that. But I wonder if Joe Begos (who wrote, directed and produced this) was a big Xtro fan and wanted to modernize it a bit. If he had just cast some capable/believable actors that would fix a lot of the hang ups.

I also see some Slither in this, so maybe a Gunn fan too.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hmmm...never even heard of this one...

I should look it up. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Duke (even though it's apparently not very good)
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Oh and it's on Netflix for streaming. I haven't decided what kind of grade to give it yet, but it's definitely not Cabin Fever bad. Effects are very John Carpentery.

I hadn't noticed this thread before. My thoughts from TIFF:

This movie has absolutely no ambition whatsoever. It's made by a group of diehard horror fans and it shows. It's pure fan service. The filmmaker's passion is obviously for gore because that's the only good thing about the film: the special effects are surprisingly well done, given the budget. Which of course means the rest of the movie is terrible: terrible writing, terrible acting, terrible everything. There's really nothing more to say. Almost Human is the poster child for the worst tendencies in genre filmmaking. It's depressing to see films like these aspire to so little.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Oh lighten up.

Joe Begos could poop on a plate, add some gore effects and film it for 65 minutes, and you'd still rationalize a yay.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

That would be funny, if it was even close to the same praise I was challenging in the other threads. As I stated above, I only YAYed this for the horror people in the horror thread. I gave the film 2 stars and said everything sucked in it but it resembled a classic cheesy 80 horror movie. If I had given this film 5 stars and said things like: "Groundbreaking stuff" "One of the best of this year" "you should seriously considering taking a vacation day" to see it, then maybe you'd be funny.