Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Universe Thread

One of them did. He dies in the plane crash presumably.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I never saw the Robert Englund one.
    Me neither. It looks like good, campy fun.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    If you mean contemporary, well, yes. I'm a fan of the Hammer and Universal versions and the Lon Chaney Sr. one is a classic. Although none of them manage to convey what's unique and sexy about the novel.
    I don't necessarily even care for the Universal one either.

The allure of the book seems to have never hit right for me in the movies.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I bought tickets for this on opening night.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Didn't the very first trailer show him being resurrected from the dead?
    Yes but he's still...Tom Cruise.

I'm saying I think there'll be something significantly more monstrous about him that we are obviously not seeing.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Yeah, I figured she mummied him, and now it's mummy versus mummy.

Maybe he'll take over for her and become some kind of terrifying figure in a wacky cult with intensely zealous devotees.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Maybe he'll date a younger woman and become a daddy.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I would like to see a good Phantom of the Opera in my lifetime.
    I like the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

And the Lon Chaney version from the silent era.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I like the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.
    I like it too, I've listened to it as soundtrack countless times, but the film is pretty boring. Ezee E is right, the tone of the book was never properly captured. In Argentina there's a writer and Horror fan who died recently called Alberto Laiseca who was obsessed with this particular complaint and used to talk a lot about how to make a decent adaptation.

There's also a very weird and random Argento.

If you don't give an absolute shit about this movie and want to be spoiled, here are some grain-of-salt details I saw on reddit.

[
    ]
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I'm cool with that. As much a care about a mummy movie, that is.

Reviews are not good.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Reviews are not good.
    No worries. I'll buy a ticket for you.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I never saw the Robert Englund one.
    It's not good.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Universal must not know how to celebrate this. They just lowered the projected domestic opening because apparently interest is dropping. They're expecting it to lose to Wonder Woman's second week.

OTOH, it just broke South Korea's opening day box office record.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

$35 million opening weekend is not only terrible for a $125 million budget film, it's compounded by their Dark Universe plans using this as a launching pad. More like a diving board.

They won't be able to do what they did with Dracula Untold and just sweep this under the rug as a standalone movie. They're locked in to this Dark Universe thing now.

I don't even necessarily think the whole endeavor is stupid, but I still can't fathom why they're pushing these properties as blockbuster action movies. Can you imagine if they had actually attempted to launch this universe as interconnected mid-budget horror/gothic romance movies? I mean, come on, I know Penny Dreadful didn't break into the mainstream, but the concept obviously worked incredibly well for that show.
    Movie Theater Diary

Agreed Arya. Look at the way people are eating up the Conjuring, Nun, Annabelle movies!

Though, out of all the Dark Universe movies, the Mummy feels like the only candidate to even be considered an action/adventure movie. Maybe Van Helsing.

Their first attempt at this universe was a Dracula movie where Dracula's a medieval action hero. I honestly would not put it past them to turn Frankenstein's monster into Hellboy and the Invisible Man a CIA spy. If this is gonna be an interconnected franchise, I'm gonna assume they will all aim for more or less the same tone as The Mummy.
    Movie Theater Diary

Give the rights back to Blumhouse.

My understanding is that Dracula Untold was developed prior to the conception of this new "Dark Universe," and they added the modern-day epilogue well into post-production. Gary Shore, the Untold director, wasn't even privy to their actual plans for the DU.

Quote Quoting Gary Shore, Screenrant
    ...How they are going to create that architecture, I’m not quite sure.

But it was always being viewed as being part of something else. I could only look at it and focus it as being one thing, which is I just want to be able to tell this story from beginning to end.

And then when we were in post-production, they had announced that they were going to do something with this universe, which was around the same time we were going back for reshoots. So it made sense to be able to try and tie it in in some way.

This quote by Gary Shore is actually a pretty interesting point:

If you break down the monster universe or any kind of superhero analogy to that, I think when superheroes really work, it’s where an audience can relate to it; where you have that sense of wish fulfillment or involvement.

I think of all those characters, I don’t particularly want to be a wolf. I don’t particularly want to be a creature from a black lagoon or a mummy. However, I really would love to be invisible. [laughs] I’d say absolutely that would be my choice.
    These horror icons are built to be manifestations of human flaws and failings. They're rejects and tragic figures. They can be sympathetic or relatable protagonists, but not really wish fulfillment or power fantasies. This may very well be at the heart of why it feels so weird to me to try and marry the two. They're more suitable for romance than adventure.
    Movie Theater Diary

For sure. We're supposed to empathize with the frailty of Frankenstein's Monster or Lon Chaney Jr (instead of the Wolf Man). The Blumhouse comment is actually sort of honest. It might've been better to just build small-scale suspense/horror movies and entrust some of that studio's talents, like Derrickson, Wan, Peli, or Flanagan, to oversee them as producers. But Uni clearly wants gargantuan tentpoles instead of modest movies with ridiculously strong ROI.

Phantom of the Paradise yo

Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6