Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Universe Thread

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Not feeling this at all. Cruise is completely misplaced in a Horror movie, the female Mummy looks awful and the concept of a Universal Monsters series set in the XXIst century doesn't jive well with me.
    Looks more like supernatural action in the vein of (survivable event) Dracula Untold and (nuke Hollywood from orbit) I Frankenstein.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    He plays Dr. Henry Jekyll
    HOLY SHIT

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    HOLY SHIT
    But he sings his entire role.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Did anyone see the Del Toro Wolfman? it had a lot of great talent in front and behind the camera.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Wait...Luke Evans isn't playing Dracula anymore?

1 movie in and they already recast the main monster?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Did anyone see the Del Toro Wolfman? it had a lot of great talent in front and behind the camera.
    I really like it. Directors cut is even better.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Wait...Luke Evans isn't playing Dracula anymore?

1 movie in and they already recast the main monster?
    Dracula Untold was developed without knowledge of Uni's Monster Universe plans until the very end of production. Once the filmmakers learned, they hastily shot a modern-day coda. Uni never intended that film to be a launching pad.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Yes. I was one of the few people here that liked it. It was like 99% rotten on MC.
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 12-06-2016 at 01:44 AM.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Take out the Mummy and its practically another damn M:I movie.
    See Tom Run. See Tom Shirtless. See Tom fuck with a Plane. See Tom with a much younger female counterpart.

No thank you.

It's going to be really interesting to watch Cruise reorient himself once he gets significantly older. I think that's when we'll see him return to riskier arthouse fare. Or it'll be more middlebrow stuff like Lions for Lambs (which I haven't seen, so forgive me if that's an incorrect assumption).

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    Take out the Mummy and its practically another damn M:I movie.
    See Tom Run. See Tom Shirtless. See Tom fuck with a Plane. See Tom with a much younger female counterpart.

No thank you.
    Hey, if you've hired Tom Cruise and not made him (a) run or (b) show off that sculpted man-meat, then what're you even doing?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Hey, if you've hired Tom Cruise and not made him (a) run or (b) show off that sculpted man-meat, then what're you even doing?
    Well I expect him to [
    ].

Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    Or it'll be more middlebrow stuff like Lions for Lambs (which I haven't seen, so forgive me if that's an incorrect assumption).
    I would say your description isn't far off (assuming I'm correctly guessing what you mean by "middlebrow"), but I thought the film was decent. A little underappreciated, but only a little.

It'd be fun if they treat these movies as like the reverse-Marvel where the monster wins at the end of each solo movie, and then they have an Avengers-style movie where a savior Chosen One rises up to save humanity and the monsters have to band together into a Monster Squad to defeat her.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I would say your description isn't far off (assuming I'm correctly guessing what you mean by "middlebrow"), but I thought the film was decent. A little underappreciated, but only a little.
    Good to know. I'll inevitably check it out sometime. As for "middlebrow," I'm thinking of films that are quality but also conventional, accessible, safe, etc. Those can still be great, of course, but they're tidier and more palatable affairs than, say, EWS or Magnolia. I want to see Cruise in weirder stuff again. Watching his reaction to getting pushed by those homophobic assholes in EWS just feels so, so far removed from everything he's been doing for many years now. Not to mention the way he delivers that "I have to go over there and show my face" line from early on in the same film. American Made will hopefully shake things up a bit. Thankfully, Edge of Tomorrow gave us the gift of cowardly Cruise.

I'd be delighted to see him star in a Jonathan Glazer movie or something, lol.

I forgot Lions for Lambs existed until just now... And I got to interview Robert Redford for that movie.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    Good to know. I'll inevitably check it out sometime. As for "middlebrow," I'm thinking of films that are quality but also conventional, accessible, safe, etc. Those can still be great, of course, but they're tidier and more palatable affairs than, say, EWS or Magnolia. I want to see Cruise in weirder stuff again. Watching his reaction to getting pushed by those homophobic assholes in EWS just feels so, so far removed from everything he's been doing for many years now. Not to mention the way he delivers that "I have to go over there and show my face" line from early on in the same film. American Made will hopefully shake things up a bit. Thankfully, Edge of Tomorrow gave us the gift of cowardly Cruise.

I'd be delighted to see him star in a Jonathan Glazer movie or something, lol.
    I agree, and I think you might like Lions For Lambs then. Its not all the way experimental Cruise, but playing a politician is a different, measured, performance from him. I would say its similar to something like The Contender (which I also like).

- - - - -
    I remember twenty or thirty years ago, Harrison Ford commented that he'd back away from action films once he got "too old." I thought, okay, cool, he'll do serious dramas and smaller films and ... meanwhile, here we are in 2016 and he's a septuagenarian and talking seriously about Indy 6.

I think Cruise is the same way.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Gotta hand it to Cruise again....

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Still probably the hardest working and most dedicated actor out there.

Scientology weirdness aside, I like Tom Cruise.

Cool stunt. I also hear there's a mummy in this movie.

After the plane stunt in mi5 this seems less impressive. But yeah Cruise will always get my vote.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Who cares about that, Cruise is saving up for MI6!

Quote Quoting David Ellison
    What Tom is doing in this movie I believe will top anything that’s come before. It is absolutely unbelievable—he’s been training for a year. It is going to be, I believe, the most impressive and unbelievable thing that Tom Cruise has done in a movie, and he has been working on it since right after Rogue Nation came out. It’s gonna be mind-blowing.
    Movie Theater Diary

He's gonna go to the moon...for real.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I hope they don't spoil the whole thing in the trailer this time.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast