Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Anthology Discussion

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    It strikes me as pretty whack that Kasdan could possibly get Lord and Miller fired for playing loose with the script.

Meanwhile, rumor on the street is apparently Ron Fucking Howard. http://www.avclub.com/article/its-ru...olo-mov-257107
    OMG please no. Please if there is a Star Wars God no.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Star Wars is going the way of Marvel. It's TV with bigger budgets. There is an aesthetic and tonal template to follow. If you veer off, you're fired. With minor exception, no one cares who directs a mid-season episode of your favorite TV show. Disney is betting its audience feels the same way about its movies.

Some people see the studio's decision to hire young filmmakers as daring. I see it as calculated. It assures control and less waves if a director has to be replaced. Except for pivotal movies (like The Force Awakens or the first Avengers), I think they'll just keep hiring young filmmakers and journeyman TV directors, knowing that they are ultimately interchangeable once the template is in place.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 06-21-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

It's Ron fucking Howard. Official announcement on StarWars.com coming in a couple of hours.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

At this point, what can he really do? He could have a large effect on edits, and any reshoots, but surely the bulk of their work will still be retained? They wouldn't just throw most of it out, right?
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    At this point, what can he really do? He could have a large effect on edits, and any reshoots, but surely the bulk of their work will still be retained? They wouldn't just throw most of it out, right?
    Look what's happening with Justice League. They brought in an entirely new composer.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Well, if the rumor about Lord & Miller being fired because they were going for a looser, improv-heavy movie is true, then the "large effects on edits" is pretty damn significant. You might see Howard constructing a movie that hews a lot closer to Kasdan's script. And it's also Star Wars, so I don't think Disney would balk at throwing more money at it to let Howard do a lot of reshoots.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It's Ron fucking Howard. Official announcement on StarWars.com coming in a couple of hours.
    Lord & Miller: "We have a lot of confidence in our new Star Wars film."
    Ron Howard: "They didn't."

Quote Quoting Kathleen Kennedy
    At Lucasfilm, we believe the highest goal of each film is to delight...
    I'm sorry, but wow, fuck this so fucking hard.

This was the exact mantra for Abrams during the making of The Four Jamaicans: "Is this delightful?"

Just because you've made something delightful doesn't mean you've made something good.

So dark the Ron of Han.
    Movie Theater Diary

Episode 7 and rogue one felt pretty safe and predictable too guys. And Howard did direct Apollo 13 and Rush. At this point, I hadn't expected them to pull Gaspar Noe out of their hat.

EDIT: And Frost/Nixon.
    Last edited by Morris Schæffer; 06-23-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Editing is when films actually become films, especially when there's as broad a range of material to draw from as I expect there is here (I'd imagine Lord & Miller get a lot of coverage). Reshoots (combined with editing) could also be used to completely alter the film's narrative, introduce new or cut old characters, and completely revamp the tone of the thing. The end product will be a Lawrence Kasdan script directed by Ron Howard.

Y'all seen Payback?

"Lord and Miller were not prepared to have Kasdan become a shadow director. With an impasse reached, Kennedy finally pulled the trigger. The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...r-exit-1016619

So here's the answer to the earlier question.

Howard arrives in London on June 26 and shooting, which began in February and was supposed to be completed in July, will continue into the first week of September as Howard captures new material. Still, an insider says much of what Lord and Miller shot will be “very usable.”
    That's almost two months of additional filming under Howard.
    Movie Theater Diary

So it will definitely be delayed then. Unless those two months are part of the back up plan for reboots.

I'm curious, in instances like this, who will receive the directing credit? Especially if they do wind up still using some of Lord and Miller's footage, is it a joint direction credit, or are their names omitted entirely?

I'm curious, in instances like this, who will receive the directing credit? Especially if they do wind up still using some of Lord and Miller's footage, is it a joint direction credit, or are their names omitted entirely?
    That's up to the DGA to decide. Rules aren't very clear beyond stating they couldn't hire Kasdan to direct because he was already a part of the crew.

I found this to be interesting, though probably moot: DGA rules state that if the director(s) are fired after doing 90% of the work, they're entitled to finish their own cut of the film, including the originally agreed upon post process. This probably won't happen because either there was more than 10% left to shoot or their exit agreements nixed it. Plus Disney would be under no obligation to let anyone see the Lord and Miller cut. But interesting wrinkle.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Jesus, imagine clapping the prospect of any movie being directed by Ron Howard.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Jesus, imagine clapping the prospect of any movie being directed by Ron Howard.
    Easy. I'm the member of a London-based film crew, say a grip or camera assistant, and I've worked with or know people who have worked with Howard before. I know that he'll work efficiently and sensibly and not be in over his head. If I didn't like Lord and Miller's methods, I'm happy that the known quantity of Ron Howard is being brought in to make my day-to-day workplace experience better.

It's not a referendum on the quality of Howard's finished movies, but on his ability to run a large production.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Sounds like an acting coach was also brought in for the Han Solo guy, and that they replaced the editor a few months ago.

Lord & Miller may have really just dropped the ball on this on all accounts.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Easy. I'm the member of a London-based film crew, say a grip or camera assistant, and I've worked with or know people who have worked with Howard before. I know that he'll work efficiently and sensibly and not be in over his head. If I didn't like Lord and Miller's methods, I'm happy that the known quantity of Ron Howard is being brought in to make my day-to-day workplace experience better.

It's not a referendum on the quality of Howard's finished movies, but on his ability to run a large production.
    Good point.

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)

Exactly. I'd rather watch Dan Harmon's shows, but I'd rather work on Chuck Lorre's.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    "Lord and Miller were not prepared to have Kasdan become a shadow director. With an impasse reached, Kennedy finally pulled the trigger. The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...r-exit-1016619
    I've read that article twice and can't find that quote. Am I missing it?

It was there earlier, but THR took that part out because apparently it's not true. They just added this explanation half an hour ago.

June 26, 1:15 pm A previous version of this article stated that the crew of the Han Solo spinoff broke into applause following the announcement of Ron Howard as director. In fact, these sources say the applause came at the end of the meeting in which the departure of Lord and Miller was announced and they were informed a new director would be arriving. These sources say the mood at the meeting was somber but there was applause "in support of the movie."
    Movie Theater Diary

Somewhere Ron Howard's momentary puff-up of keenly felt appreciation shrank back down a bit.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It was there earlier, but THR took that part out because apparently it's not true. They just added this explanation half an hour ago.
    Ah, okay. Still...I take that as a positive that everyone involved is passionate about the project. I have no beef with Lord/Miller. We will all find out in the end if this was the right move.

Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast