Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Anthology Discussion

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    [
    ]
    Symbol of everything that was wrong with the Expanded Universe.

Would probably be more on board if I hadn't seen the "Authority figure reads off a list of transgressions" trope parodied in the trailer for Taika Waititi's latest (great) film earlier this year.

Basically shows that Skywalker will be Yoda, a la Empire Strikes Back.

Would be more shocking if he wasn't the father.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    So we have another movie Clone. This time it's Empire. Great.

I'm sure Rey will find out who her parents are at the end of the movie too.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Only you guys can take all the fun out of that picture...

Fuck it, let's do this. What should we bet on that Luke is not related to Rey at all?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

After third viewing the other day I've started leaning towards her being some sort of mega-experiment, like a super Force-baby from powerful parents, with so much potential that she had to be hidden away. At this point, having her being related directly to anyone we've seen would be cheap. I hope they go all new with all this.

Put me in the camp rooting for her to not be related to anyone we've seen thus far.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Put me in the camp rooting for her to not be related to anyone we've seen thus far.
    The trouble with that is, it would make all the coy withholding of information in the Force Awakens regarding her parents' identity pointless.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    The trouble with that is, it would make all the coy withholding of information in the Force Awakens regarding her parents' identity pointless.
    Exactly. Say Luke is her father. He knows that the force will be strong with her. And he also knows he's the LAST living Jedi Master. So he hides her on Jakku, (as Obi-Wan hid Luke), and then he goes into exile, gives the map to R2, and he knows when the time is right, and she learns more about the force, she will seek Luke out for her training.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Ugh, I wish I cared, but I feel like they could do any rug-pull they want with her parents' identity at this point. The great thing about the Vader reveal was that it didn't answer a question, it twisted an assumption. So when it happens, it's got a bonus level of shock because Star Wars and Empire didn't feel like they were building up to that moment. They were to greater and lesser degrees, but you could read Luke's forest vision of himself in the helmet as a warning of what he might become, not of his lineage.

I really don't like this level of serialization and unanswered questions and deferred substance.

The training would have to at least take a different direction this time with the father/daughter relationship. There's a lot of neat directions that it could go in.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Possibly, but what if her lineage doesnt matter, and when she meets Luke he realizes her power and that brings him back. Then her fam could be villains revealed later to mirror Luke having to face Vader, etc etc

Producer
    Is there a context to that picture I'm not aware of, because it just looks like they're goofing around?
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    Rey's parentage was always a nonsense "mystery" because it didn't effect TFA's plot at all, or any of the choices Rey makes, and I still feel like it won't in any sequels.

The first film leaned so heavily on fan service I can't see the follow ups doing anything different.

Although I kinda dig ETM's "super force-baby" idea, mostly because it gives me an excuse to say "super force-baby" out loud. (Try it, it's fun!)

- - - - -
    Ok, who here would actually go train with any [human] Jedi?

Say what you will about the Sith*, but when they train somebody, those trainees stay trained. The Jedi keep totally fucking it up and train people who fall to the Dark Side. Like, they've inadvertently delivered two generations of evil to the galaxy. They pretty much suck at the whole force thing.

* At least it's an ethos, dude.

Well, you're presuming upon the films a bit there, Irish. Theres a thousand years of successful Jedi training. But that isnt the story worth showing. You show the story where shit blows up and changes.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Well, you're presuming upon the films a bit there, Irish. Theres a thousand years of successful Jedi training. But that isnt the story worth showing. You show the story where shit blows up and changes.
    Hehe, I was half-joking. (And while something similar happens in the videogames, you make a good point about where "you show the story").

Mostly, if I were half-serious, it seems like Skywalker bloodline is a curse. That's what I was mostly thinking of. Out of three generations the Jedi have trained, two have gone Dark. Both of those failures became high ranking Sith. Both of them killed a shitload of people. That's not such a good legacy.

Edit: One of the things I really liked about TFA is that they actually showed Kylo Ren struggling against the Light.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Is there a context to that picture I'm not aware of, because it just looks like they're goofing around?
    I assume it's a reference to Yoda on Luke's back in Empire. The piggybacker has now become the piggybackee.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Only you guys can take all the fun out of that picture...

Seriously. This place is becoming the ultimate buzzkill.

Why does the pic need context? Maybe they are just goofing around. I thought it was a fun picture.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

Basically shows that Skywalker will be Yoda, a la Empire Strikes Back.

Would be more shocking if he wasn't the father.
    Probably. Training a heroine who's already fully formed and capable in the ways of the force and looking, at the end of the force awakens like she's not in dire need of guidance and tutoring.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I assume it's a reference to Yoda on Luke's back in Empire. The piggybacker has now become the piggybackee.
    Of course it is. All anyone is saying is that the idea of Luke training Rey has been around since the movie first came out. They could be just goofing around and it has nothing to do with the actual movie:

Producer
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Yeah I get that. What I don't get is how it is supposed to inform the next film. Hamill posted this to happy birthday Ridley, and the post and the picture itself just feel like they're goofing around. Or is this another variation of "Man, TFA sure feels like TNH, doesn't it!" thing?

Also, regarding VIII's story, I feel like Rian Johnson is big enough of a proud cinephile to make the film something else, whether in a corporate environment or not (I might have to swallow my tongue later on this).
    Last edited by Peng; 04-11-2016 at 12:20 PM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Hamill posted this to happy birthday Ridley, and the post and the picture itself just feel like they're goofing around.
    From his tweet, I'd make the same assumption ... but, ya know...

Star Wars fans + Internet = Overthinking it

All this talk about either Luke being Rey's father, or it being someone completely new.

The theory I'm liking the best, tho, is that she's a descendant of Obi-Wan. Maybe after he dropped Luke off and went into hiding, fell in love (or not), had a kid, and that kid had a child...
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast