Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Anthology Discussion

Producer
    The third act is so strong that it reverberates back and stays positive in my mind actually, although I could donwith a rewatch to say how I really feel as a whole.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    The third act is so strong that it reverberates back and stays positive in my mind actually, although I could donwith a rewatch to say how I really feel as a whole.
    This pretty much.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I already didn't like it, and yet my feelings on the movie have continued to only sour even more with time. It's not even old, yet it's already aged terribly, and I know a ton of people who liked it initially, but who now not even a year later have similarly only grown disdain for it over time. At this point, it shares a spot right alongside Suicide Squad as my absolute least favorite movie to release in 2016.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I've been wrestling with the feeling that I'm less and less happy with Star Wars in general over time.
    At least as it concerns these new Disney releases, I would agree. I think the more and more they churn these movies out, the less special the series as a whole is going to feel by association. Hell, already it feels like over-saturation, and we're only 2 movies deep with Disney's Star Wars.

I wouldn't say I dislike it like I do Rogue One, but even The Force Awakens hasn't exactly aged well, and is bound to continue to age poorly over time. But then, that's almost a guarantee when you make a movie like that, that exists solely as a big budget fanboy film, and a time capsule that's more interested in celebrating ones childhood, as opposed to telling a compelling story first and foremost. While the others have a timeless feel to them, TFA feels dated on arrival as a result, which is especially a shame, as the few elements that aren't merely rehashes and obnoxious winks and nods are actually quite great, and the few things that keep it from being a complete shitfest like Rogue One was. But sadly, at this point I sorta expect more of the same as we move forward with these movies. They just feel like heartless, corporate shill.

Rogue One still sits pretty well for me. I think it's good.

So I'm the only one who liked Rogue One a lot more than A Force Awakens?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Only the original trilogy (and even then dominantly the first two) seem worth a damn. Since then, you either get vegetables (the Prequels) or cake (the Disneys), but none of them give you a good square meal.
    Pretty much agree with this statement for the most part. The first two films are, of course, exceptional. The third in that trilogy is a fitting conclusion but comes up short, and a bit redundant. I tried hard to like the prequels, but repeated viewings just don't hold up and the flaws are glaring.
    I did enjoy The Force Awakens and Rogue One, have seen them more than once and still like them. But, I recognize that these films could have been so much more. It's almost like watching a tv series adaptation of a successful film. The elements are all in place, but it misses the mark due to the desire to please a fan base and not come up with any truly creative avenues.

I think of the the new Star Wars films, Rogue One is the better of the two from a filmmaking stand point, but I got a whole lot more enjoyment out of the Force Awakens overall, most likely because my expectations were low, and it's the first Star Wars film I had seen in the theaters in over a decade.

I gotta admit: although Rogue One is a great movie, the proximity of its release to Force Awakens, coupled with the realization that we're gonna be seeing some sorta Star Wars movie coming out every Christmas for the foreseeable future sorta took away a lot of the wow factor for me. Until the Vader scene, that is.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

The idea behind it is sound. A star wars war movie. Oh God that sounds daft actually. But uhm, it lacks the overhelming odds stacked against the heroes that is a frequent staple of such movies.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I enjoyed the hell out of Awakens, but find myself revisiting Rogue One more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I got more of an electric charge from Force Awakens than Rogue One. I'm excited to see what Johnson does with sequel.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Rey and the new cast still have me invested in Star Wars for now. Hopefully Rian knocks it out of the park with Episode VIII.

I don't care about any of the stand-alones.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Doubts on Han Solo. If the preview is weak, I may pass entirely on it. Wondering if Glover will save this.

Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan is pretty neat though. May see that one.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Ignoring Kylo Ren, I can't say anything good about the new roster of characters apart from the actors chosen to play them.

I currently love all SW. It's just where my love of cinema began, it's inevitable. I love it all....but as a critic....for me, jury still out on VII. Every time I watch it I'm left with more questions. VIII will determine if VII was a good start. That's odd, I know, but I damn there's a lot of unanswered questions.

Rogue One is just a disappointing, badly put together dead end. Some segments work, but the characters literally go nowhere and weren't worth the running time.

TFA is not perfect, either, but it carried over good will forward to the sequel, so right now it's hard to judge it on its own. If what it started works in the long run, it will get a pass for its flaws just like ANH always does.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I really cannot agree. A New Hope creates basic but effective characters who don't require additional movies for us to make sense of who they are and what they want. This is not the case with The Force Awakens. It amazes me that so many people are basically reserving judgment on the characters in The Force Awakens until they see the next one. What about this movie's goals?

Haven't we seen enough of Obi-wan? What else do we need to know? Three years in and already the dead horse is being beaten with gusto.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    So I'm the only one who liked Rogue One a lot more than A Force Awakens?
    God no. I'm still in that camp. And my rankings are:

1. Jedi
    2. Empire
    -----Exceptional Line----
    3. Hope
    4. Rogue
    5. Force Awakens
    6. Phantom
    -----Shit Line-----
    7. Revenge
    8. Clones
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I really cannot agree. A New Hope creates basic but effective characters who don't require additional movies for us to make sense of who they are and what they want. This is not the case with The Force Awakens. It amazes me that so many people are basically reserving judgment on the characters in The Force Awakens until they see the next one. What about this movie's goals?
    I agree. Its the thing about VII that irritates me the most. Its a first act. IV at least could have been a solo film and been complete.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Haven't we seen enough of Obi-wan? What else do we need to know? Three years in and already the dead horse is being beaten with gusto.
    That's your uncle talking.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I agree. Its the thing about VII that irritates me the most. Its a first act. IV at least could have been a solo film and been complete.
    IV could easily have ended up a solo film. I never for a second expected TFA to be anything but a restart in a saga which already has six movies (and a whole bunch of other stuff). I can't see it as a negative.

And I love its characters, much, MUCH more than any in Rogue One. No reserved judgment there. The clunkiness of the final act and the by-the-numbers basic plot is where I draw the line at "let's see where this leads first".

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    That's your uncle talking.
    We don't need to know anything. But I'm interested.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    IV could easily have ended up a solo film. I never for a second expected TFA to be anything but a restart in a saga which already has six movies (and a whole bunch of other stuff). I can't see it as a negative.

And I love its characters, much, MUCH more than any in Rogue One. No reserved judgment there. The clunkiness of the final act and the by-the-numbers basic plot is where I draw the line at "let's see where this leads first".
    Hey I ain't faulting anybody for liking it or accepting it.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I really don't and that's what sets the movies apart for me. The characters in Force Awakens, with the notable exception of Finn, are lame "re-imaginings" of the core group in the original trilogy.

I barely remember what the characters in Rogue One were supposed to be, as I was thoroughly underwhelmed while watching and don't like thinking about the movie, let alone rewatching it.

Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast