Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1168

Thread: Star Wars Anthology Discussion

I already had zero expectations for Rise of Skywalker. This latest trailer may have just made me somehow lower those expectations. This looks like such a lifeless, soulless “by committee” dump. I honestly just can’t wait for it to be over with already...

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    In retrospect, it's super depressing what Disney has done with this franchise.

The Prequel trilogy had better world building.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I wish I knew what this saga was actually about, then I might be excited about it ending.

It’s about 3PO never interacting with the new characters, yet still treating them like they’re these great ol’ pals of his in a moment that’s intended to be moving, but comes across more as confusing and, itself, confused. A metaphor for the movie going experience watching these poorly written big budget fan-fiction Disney Star Wars cinematic dumpster fires...

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    In retrospect, it's super depressing what Disney has done with this franchise.

The Prequel trilogy had better world building.

The prequel trilogy had better everything.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Which is which here?
    Force Awakens is Planet Terror. I thought you didn't watch Star Wars?

Also yes, yes it is incredibly depressing what Disney’s done with the franchise. The only way I can even think about Star Wars without becoming frustrated by the direction they’ve taken it is by treating everything Disney as blatant non-canon fan fiction, and treating the original six as entirely disconnected from it all.

Being a modern day Star Wars fan is like being a WWE fan in the modern day. It’s just infuriating to even think about how obviously poorly it’s been handled, and is easier to just walk away from it all, which I fully intend to do after this last installment. I’d love to be proven wrong, and to see JJ actually pull it off. Hell, I liked about HALF of what he did in The Force Awakens, so if I can even get that much here, I’ll be satisfied. But the closer we get to it, the more I can't help but feel like it’s a lost cause at this point, again, just like the modern WWE.

Prediction: 3PO pilots the Falcon to blow up something, and his suicide saves the day.
    Last edited by Skitch; 10-22-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Force Awakens is Planet Terror. I thought you didn't watch Star Wars?
    It was just, both PT and DP had “missing reels” in the Grindhouse version, and I like both standalone versions just fine, so I wasn’t sure which was which in your comparison. I dont care about the Star Wars part of it
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Gotcha! It's all good.

- - - - -
    Blech. That trailer is devoid of personality. They pumped John Williams and waved around a coupla lightsabers. So? Why should I see this? There needs to be a better answer than "because it's Star Wars."

Is there an actual story left to resolve? The characters I cared about are all dead. The last movie was a hodge-podge of underwritten and poorly staged action scenes. I can't tell what this new one is about, outside a very loose framework of "good guys fight bad guys."

Lemme guess ... the good guys win, and the movie ends with fireworks and hugging and force ghosts?

It’s about 3PO never interacting with the new characters, yet still treating them like they’re these great ol’ pals of his in a moment that’s intended to be moving, but comes across more as confusing and, itself, confused. A metaphor for the movie going experience watching these poorly written big budget fan-fiction Disney Star Wars cinematic dumpster fires...
    I get the feeling there’s some context behind his addressing them as his friends.

Prediction: bac0n has two cocktails prior to the show and both he and Scar wind up in jail after getting in a fight that bac0n started and Scar tried to break up and they both wind up missing all but the first five minutes of the film.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Prediction: bac0n has two cocktails prior to the show and both he and Scar wind up in jail after getting in a fight that bac0n started and Scar tried to break up and they both wind up missing all but the first five minutes of the film.
    I will be invoking the One Martini for bac0n rule that night.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Being a modern day Star Wars fan is like being a WWE fan in the modern day. It’s just infuriating to even think about how obviously poorly it’s been handled, and is easier to just walk away from it all, which I fully intend to do after this last installment. I’d love to be proven wrong, and to see JJ actually pull it off. Hell, I liked about HALF of what he did in The Force Awakens, so if I can even get that much here, I’ll be satisfied. But the closer we get to it, the more I can't help but feel like it’s a lost cause at this point, again, just like the modern WWE.
    So you hated the ending to Hell in a Cell too, huh?

Thank God AEW Dynamite started when it did, and New Japan just announced an American promotion. Otherwise I would have stopped watching wrestling altogether.

Oh and The Rise of Skywalker looks fine, I guess. I just expect to be entertained for these movies' runtimes at this point.
    Last edited by Ivan Drago; 10-22-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    It's the difference between Planet Terror and Death Proof...one says, "Remember crazy exploitation movies and how crazy they were?? Isnt this [missing reel] CRAZY!!1!", and the other IS an exploitation movie.
    This analogy couldn't be more perfect.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    So you hated the ending to Hell in a Cell too, huh?
    I didn’t watch it, but I heard about it, as well as about what they did to Kofi. I gave up and finally, FINALLY threw in the towel after the abhorrent way they completely fucked up the Becky/Ronda storyline heading into WM, though. The only reason I still know what’s going on at all is because there’s still people on my twitter feed who talk about it sometimes, and people talk about wrestling quite a bit on another forum I follow. So yeah, I’ve reached the point where I’m not even mad anymore by WWE fucking up so horrendously. It’s what’s become expected from me, and I honestly just can’t even exert anymore energy trying to care or be at all invested anymore. It’s a lost cause, cause it’s been going on consistently like this for YEARS now, with no signs of change on the horizon, and nothing short of Vince McMahon stepping down, being removed from his position, or dying will change anything at this point.

I’m happy AEW came around, and that it appears to be seeing some early success. I’m not the biggest fan of the style of wrestling I’ve seen them put on in a lot of their matches, so i probably won’t be an avid follower or anything, but I do hope they succeed all the same and give the wrestling community a much needed alternative.

About the only thing I liked about that trailer is that at one point there is a small army on horseback... on top of a spaceship, I guess?

I remain a big fan of The Last Jedi although I haven't seen it since theaters. But yeah, as a whole, the new trilogy never became the cinematic event it was naturally supposed to be.

*listening to friends ehh reactions irl*

Me: Well, dickheads, you all cried about Last Jedi, so they went back to what you peabrains wanted. OF COURSE its going to open with Rey running through a very Return of the Jedi-esque woods. ITS JJ. OF COURSE hes going to bring back Palpatine. THIS IS WHAT HE DOES.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I didn’t watch it, but I heard about it, as well as about what they did to Kofi. I gave up and finally, FINALLY threw in the towel after the abhorrent way they completely fucked up the Becky/Ronda storyline heading into WM, though. The only reason I still know what’s going on at all is because there’s still people on my twitter feed who talk about it sometimes, and people talk about wrestling quite a bit on another forum I follow. So yeah, I’ve reached the point where I’m not even mad anymore by WWE fucking up so horrendously. It’s what’s become expected from me, and I honestly just can’t even exert anymore energy trying to care or be at all invested anymore. It’s a lost cause, cause it’s been going on consistently like this for YEARS now, with no signs of change on the horizon, and nothing short of Vince McMahon stepping down, being removed from his position, or dying will change anything at this point.

I’m happy AEW came around, and that it appears to be seeing some early success. I’m not the biggest fan of the style of wrestling I’ve seen them put on in a lot of their matches, so i probably won’t be an avid follower or anything, but I do hope they succeed all the same and give the wrestling community a much needed alternative.
    Which style is it you're not a fan of? I only ask because one of the strengths of AEW thus far IMO is the wide range of styles they have on their shows. Last week there were 5 different matches and they were all dramatically different.

There's also NWA Powerrr on YouTube, a super fun hour long show that really takes you back to the heyday of 80s studio wrestling. WWE is the worst it's ever been, but it's the best time to be a wrestling fan in 20 years. NJPW of course is King.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quick ramblings:

-I enjoyed the shot of the reflective waters on that ice planet and the amount of star destroyers.
    -I can't remember what Kylo Ren's motivation and purpose is at this point.
    -Heck, same goes for the the good guys, except that they escaped death on that white dirt planet that was actually red.
    -So much for that time travel theory, right?
    -That Kylo Ren/Rey fight better not be in the final act, otherwise this is going to be really, really bad if they're already showing that off.
    -No objection to the C3PO friends piece. That was charming enough. But that doesn't bode well for the robot.

The Mandalorian HAS to be good right? For the sake of the brand?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I will be invoking the One Martini for bac0n rule that night.
    aw you're no fun.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    aw you're no fun.
    The one martini at the theater rule....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I'm fine with that. Love articles with spelling errors too lol

Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast