Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Anthology Discussion

The only "re-imagining" is Rey who is a combination of the best parts of Luke, Leia, and Han. Poe, Kylo, and Finn are their own characters not tied to any traits of the original cast.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

It's very generous ascribing a "character" to Poe, who is generic pilot 101 but with the added feature of disappearing randomly for most of the film.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It's very generous ascribing a "character" to Poe, who is generic pilot 101 but with the added feature of disappearing randomly for most of the film.
    And showing up when the script needed him to.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That could be more on Oscar Isaac who makes something terrific out of small material.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Guys, Poe is gay, and he's got it so bad for Finn. Do you even internet?

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    The only "re-imagining" is Rey who is a combination of the best parts of Luke, Leia, and Han. Poe, Kylo, and Finn are their own characters not tied to any traits of the original cast.
    Whaaaaaat? I mean, Rey and Poe are bland, forgettable stereotypes. But what amazes me most is your defense of Kylo, who's a shit discount Darth Vader if there ever was one. I wish I could see this movie the way you do.

Or just see movies by paying attention.

Ren is a "discount Darth Vader" because that's who he strives to be. Abrams and Driver have created an angry MRA-type fanboy who loses his temper when things don't go his way. He wears a mask, not because of a breathing problem, but because it is a facade to hide his pathetic self. He is constantly being tempted by the light side, a theme not explored in the Star Wars universe thus far. He is not the intimidating force that is Vader. He is dangerous because he is unhinged and torn from his parents.

Rey's opening scene explains who she is and what she wants without her ever opening her mouth.

This isn't reading inbetween the lines. It's all right there in the film.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I'm fine with all that, Wats. I don't have the regular complaints I've read online. I don't care who Rey's parents are. I hope its not a plot point. My issues are with how illogical Starkiller Base is on a design level, why they went with a Deathstar 2.0 anyway, not knowing what the First Order wants and if its the destruction of the New Republic then why build such an illogical Starkiller Base, and lastly, I feel like there should have been more clarity on the exact failing of Luke's school and his falling out with Kylo. More than a Force dream that is left to interpretation until we get the next entry.

I don't have issue with Poe disappearing for half the film because it was obviously implied he was thought dead. It feeds our main character Finn and his arc.

Rey's opening sequences nicely explain a want (to leave the planet), but the film afterward complicates things by piling on one Force power after another (it doesn't show her evolve - she just learns she has them when she needs them) and by creating an obscurantist backstory about her family. It adds a dream sequence that plays like something you'd see in a TV pilot, which kicks the can to Rian Johnson, who has to make sense of JJ's smattering of imagery. And once she leaves Tatooine-2, her desire to leave the planet is officially over, and she doesn't have a firm motivation that we can hang onto. It's all very reactionary.

And not to be uber-predictable-fanboy, but I was rewatching bits of Fury Road yesterday, and it struck me that Nux and Finn are riffs on the same idea - a defector to fascism who allies with rebels and even tries to help save the day in the end (Finn gets cut down, Nux martyrs himself) - but Nux, with less dialogue and more action, feels more consistent and cleanly developed as a character. I think the big difference is that his film gives us space to see him as a brainwashed soldier. We see him struggle to do a good job. We see him fail and despair. And we see why he defects.

Here are my rankings:

1. Episode V
    2. Episode IV
    3. Episode VI
    4. Episode III
    5. Episode VII
    6. Rogue One
    7. Episode I
    8. Episode II
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I thought we saw pretty clearly why Finn defected, in like the first 10 minutes.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I thought we saw pretty clearly why Finn defected, in like the first 10 minutes.
    I don't buy the reason they provide, because I have no foundation for recognizing why this specific stormtrooper has the unique reaction he has, which is a first in the Star Wars universe.

But honestly, I'll just start ranting about his character's utter incoherence if I keep typing, so stopping.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I don't buy the reason they provide, because I have no foundation for recognizing why this specific stormtrooper has the unique reaction he has, which is a first in the Star Wars universe.
    Well, to be fair, all the previous storm-troopers were clones.

Fin was "recruited" at a young age because the dissolved empire needed to refresh their army.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Fin's earlier life is expanded upon in the second film.

- - - - -

I'm sure wild for Ron is having breakfast for lunch.

I remember reading one of the books had a big chunk about the spice mines. I recall really enjoying it. I wonder if that was in the Corellian trilogy?

Oh thank god I thought he was hinting at a Spicer cameo.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I remember reading one of the books had a big chunk about the spice mines. I recall really enjoying it. I wonder if that was in the Corellian trilogy?
    Ditto.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

You can just base that on the movies, though. "Spice mines of Kessel" and "Kessel run" are mentioned in the original.

He also could be trolling us

Finally....

Solo: A Star Wars Story.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/star-war...ry-1202189912/

- - - - -
    I find myself more curious about this movie than any other approaching blockbuster --- I wanna see if Howard can pull it off.

(Also that article contains a typo/ grammatical error in the second fucking sentence and it is killing me)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Is the title new info though? A confirmation yes, as these things can change, but Woody Harrelson hilariously wore a crew shirt in an Instagram that said this title months ago. Colbert even confronted him on it:

(3:30 if it doesn't go straight to that)
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast