Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Godzilla and King Kong Stuff (Mike Dougherty, Adam Wingard)

How the hell does Godzilla run like that?

People saying they're going for the hope of plot sound like people who claim to buy Penthouse to read the articles.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    How the hell does Godzilla run like that?
    Looks like that footage might be sped up a bit.

He's been doing squats. It's why the tides have been so big lately.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    He's been doing squats. It's why the tides have been so big lately.
    Quad-zilla.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Quad-zilla.
    HA!

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Can someone check on bac0n? I worry that this trailer was so awesome, it made his heart stop.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Oh yeah. Inject that trailer into my veins.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    People saying they're going for the hope of plot sound like people who claim to buy Penthouse to read the articles.
    Kind of like how the first movie went out its way to not show Godzilla fighting until the final 5 minutes of the movie? That kind of plot avoidance? You'd be satisfied with a couple dozen bags of milk talking for 115 minutes and then a 5 minute eye-gasim?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Kind of like how the first movie went out its way to not show Godzilla fighting until the final 5 minutes of the movie? That kind of plot avoidance? You'd be satisfied with a couple dozen bags of milk talking for 115 minutes and then a 5 minute eye-gasim?
    Disagree, but laughing at the phrase "couple dozen bags of milk."

Im honestly surprised Godzilla was so well accepted on here. 99% of the movie was just for the trailer. And the two most offensive scenes literally just end and the audience doesn't get to see what transpired. E.g. (1) Bag of Milk saves little boy on the monorail- we never see the outcome of that scene. The two of them are just dangling there and the scene cuts away And 2) Godzilla shows up in Hawaii at the airport to fight Insect monster #1 and the scene ends with Godzilla roaring into the camera, cuts to the next morning) Like, WTF? Did the people in the airport survive? Did Godzilla push away the monster? Did the monster just get up and fly away? How did the boy and bag of milk get down from the monorail? The monster was right above them the last time we saw them. Did the giant explosions scare the monster away? How can you make a movie like this? Imagine Marvel made a movie where the villain shows up to fight the Avengers, and the scene ends with a cut to them all at Avengers HQ the next morning 'boy that escalated quickly'.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Im honestly surprised Godzilla was so well accepted on here. 99% of the movie was just for the trailer. And the two most offensive scenes literally just end and the audience doesn't get to see what transpired. E.g. (1) Bag of Milk saves little boy on the monorail- we never see the outcome of that scene. The two of them are just dangling there and the scene cuts away And 2) Godzilla shows up in Hawaii at the airport to fight Insect monster #1 and the scene ends with Godzilla roaring into the camera, cuts to the next morning) Like, WTF? Did the people in the airport survive? Did Godzilla push away the monster? Did the monster just get up and fly away? How did the boy and bag of milk get down from the monorail? The monster was right above them the last time we saw them. Did the giant explosions scare the monster away? How can you make a movie like this? Imagine Marvel made a movie where the villain shows up to fight the Avengers, and the scene ends with a cut to them all at Avengers HQ the next morning 'boy that escalated quickly'.
    I think if you're not on board with the teasing nature of the film, that's fair. I think it's funny when they build up to the airport battle, Godzilla roars, and then you cut to snippets of the fight on a TV screen. It's such a transparent withholding that I get a kick out of it.

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Can someone check on bac0n? I worry that this trailer was so awesome, it made his heart stop.
    Just regained consciousness. Last thing I remember was seeing Godzilla and King Ghidorah charging each other, screaming OH MY GAWWWD, then blackness.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Just regained consciousness. Last thing I remember was seeing Godzilla and King Ghidorah charging each other, screaming OH MY GAWWWD, then blackness.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

These monsters are just too big.

If by big, you mean awesome, then yes, yes they are.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

It’s kind of the point, though. They’re supposed to be almost immeasurably huge.

These monsters are just too big.
    DUKE IS BLOCKED
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Not gonna lie this looks cool. (but I'm still not going to see this)

Well its your loss. Shrug. I love those new posters and yes I saved all of them to my phone.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Not gonna lie this looks cool. (but I'm still not going to see this)

Not trolling or trying to cause offense, but I'm genuinely confused why you would say something about a movie looks cool but still go ahead and decide you're not seeing it.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Not trolling or trying to cause offense, but I'm genuinely confused why you would say something about a movie looks cool but still go ahead and decide you're not seeing it.
    It's well documented in the Godzilla thread that I was not a fan, even though 99% of the shots in that movie "looked cool" including the Halo Jump trailer. But that's all that movie was- was cool looking trailer shots. It's like Edwards was putting together a music video where the lead is soulless and they kill off the draw in the first 15 minutes. I hated pretty much everything, including the fact that scenes ended without showing the audience how the characters escaped.

Kong was kinda fun, didn't take itself too serious like Godzilla did, but they totally dropped the ball on the character stuff which made it feel rushed and pointless.

So I have no faith in this one, regardless of it being made by different people.

It's well documented in the Godzilla thread that I was not a fan, even though 99% of the shots in that movie "looked cool" including the Halo Jump trailer. But that's all that movie was- was cool looking trailer shots. It's like Edwards was putting together a music video where the lead is soulless and they kill off the draw in the first 15 minutes. I hated pretty much everything, including the fact that scenes ended without showing the audience how the characters escaped.

Kong was kinda fun, didn't take itself too serious like Godzilla did, but they totally dropped the ball on the character stuff which made it feel rushed and pointless.

So I have no faith in this one, regardless of it being made by different people.
    Ah, yes, I recall your disdain for Godzilla. You make some good points about it, though I ultimately enjoyed the film. I think this one looks cool AND I plan on seeing it.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

The Godzilla series always has thinly developed characters. It's a damn monster movie, not an Oscar film.

PS: If you want one with character development, check out Monsters (2010) or Cloverfield. I loved the 2014 Godzilla film.
    Last edited by MadMan; 01-04-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I loved the 2014 Godzilla film.
    Me too, but you're not gonna change his mind on this one. We've gone around on it. He hates it and that's it. And I'm not busting your chops Duke, that's fine. Just apparently a divisive film. You like it or hate it. With little middle ground.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast