Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Godzilla and King Kong Stuff (Mike Dougherty, Adam Wingard)

I'm scratching my head here. You're saying he doesn't know if Godzilla is gonna eat the bastards or not, so he should not use the word "prey," even though he said that while looking at Godzilla hunting down the MUTOs to kill them, and that behavior fits one of the definitions of the word? So what you're insisting is that Dr. Serizawa totally thought Godzilla was gonna eat them when he said it, and was ultimately proven wrong when Godzilla just peaced out without eating, but that is not surprising since, as you said, he had no idea if G's gonna eat them or not? Or are you saying that when Serizawa said it, that automatically made his line the word of god that had to be fulfilled like chekov's gun and it's a gross oversight for the filmmakers to not show Godzilla eating the MUTOs as Serizawa was blindly guessing?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'm scratching my head here. You're saying he doesn't know if Godzilla is gonna eat the bastards or not, so he should not use the word "prey," even though he said that while looking at Godzilla hunting down the MUTOs to kill them, and that behavior fits one of the definitions of the word?
    He wasn't saying it any of the contexts above in your post. (debatable I suppose) He was saying it like he was using definition #1 (food), and then it eventually turns out not to be true so it still fits definition #2 and I shouldn't quibble?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

They've never really showed him eating in any of the movies. It's implied that he gains nourishment from absorbing radioactive energy, like Superman with solar energy.
    Not to be a nitpick, but in Godzilla 1985, he attacks a nuclear power plant, grabs the reactor and sits there sucking in the radioactivity, which kinda can be said is eating.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The basic rule is he eats radioactive stuff and not other monsters. I've only seen the 1954 Godzilla and the 1999 Godzilla and in the 1999 Godzilla he (or she) ate fish.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Not to be a nitpick, but in Godzilla 1985, he attacks a nuclear power plant, grabs the reactor and sits there sucking in the radioactivity, which kinda can be said is eating.
    OH YEAH? Well, in the Emmerich movie he eats fish. So which is it, smart guy?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

OH YEAH? Well, in the Emmerich movie he eats fish. So which is it, smart guy?
    That thing in the Emmerich "movie" isn't Godzilla, so there ;-)
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Godguana?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Godguana?
    Actually, a lot of kaiju fans such as myself took to labeling it as GINO (Godzilla In Name Only).

Actually, a lot of kaiju fans such as myself took to labeling it as GINO (Godzilla In Name Only).
    I like it.

Did you totally think of this movie when G-Man walks into the ocean surrounded by seagulls?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Did you totally think of this movie when G-Man walks into the ocean surrounded by seagulls?
    Actually no. I was busy wiping the form off of my mouth, shirt, etc.

When small children are not present, (or I'm drunk), I prefer FPoS.

[
    ]
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Godzilla is like a big cat playing hunter/destroyer of worlds with that cockroach he just saw/heard. But he doesn't really want to eat it.

Godzilla is like a big cat. There, you're all welcome.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Duke, are you now, or have you ever read I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, or worn white sunglasses?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I just want to know if Godzilla fights King Kong again.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I just want to know if Godzilla fights King Kong again.
    Methinks the Godzilla in this film would require King Kong to be so huge to put up a fight as to make him lose all his appeal. He wouldn't climb up buildings - he would knock them over.

Me, I would love to see King Ghidorah take on the big guy. Now THERE'S a real king.

Yeah, if King Kong's the same size as Godzilla, he'd be 1/4 the size of the Empire State Building.

But maybe making Kong smaller would be a more fun fight to watch. We'd see him climbing Godzilla's arm and sliding down his tail and shit.
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Methinks the Godzilla in this film would require King Kong to be so huge to put up a fight as to make him lose all his appeal. He wouldn't climb up buildings - he would knock them over.

Me, I would love to see King Ghidorah take on the big guy. Now THERE'S a real king.
    Is there biological precedence for a creature with three heads?

I mean, they could probably just wave their arms real fast and say "Mutation!" But having not seen any Ghidorah action, I feel like a three-headed dragon would be a hard sell in any film reaching for some token level of realism. It'd be a hard sell for Pacific Rim.

If they license something for the sequel, it'd probably be something more Mothra-y or Anguirus-y.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Is there biological precedence for a creature with three heads?

I mean, they could probably just wave their arms real fast and say "Mutation!" But having not seen any Ghidorah action, I feel like a three-headed dragon would be a hard sell in any film reaching for some token level of realism. It'd be a hard sell for Pacific Rim.

If they license something for the sequel, it'd probably be something more Mothra-y or Anguirus-y.
    KG has typically been presented either as an extra-terrestrial planet destroyer, which methinks would fit well in with the theme of Godzilla rising from the depths to, as Dr. Serizawa put it, restore balance. There was one time, however, where he was presented as an ancient water god, but I don't think that would work, as he was a good-guy in that instance, basically serving the same role of protecting the land as Godzilla did in Edwards' film.

RODAN

MOTHRA

GHIDORAH

yyyyyyyyyessssssss

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    RODAN

MOTHRA

GHIDORAH

yyyyyyyyyessssssss

Sad we'll have to wait, but really glad Edwards is coming back. I can't imagine anyone replicating his "eye" for the action.

It's a solid five or six years away, no? Maybe even longer? What an agonizing wait.

I would be concerned about so many monsters, except that Edwards is coming back to steer the ship. I love it. I can't wait to watch Godzilla again.

From the Slash Film article on this latest update: "Thomas Tull would not confirm that the monsters will definitely appear in the sequel, but repeated that those are the Kaiju that Legendary are interested in exploring in a Godzilla sequel."

I found that part kind of amusing. This seems like Comic-Con hype mongering at its most meretricious: excitement is roused on the basis of a precipitate and tentative announcement, which seems to be teetering on the brink of meaninglessness. Godzilla 2: expect more cherished monsters; maybe some of these. The motivation behind this doesn't lie in concrete developments, but rather an interest in stoking an unchecked culture of anticipation. In a way, this has always been the case, but it's becoming increasingly compulsory, and the feting of the anticipatory masses can be risible (as in this case) or, when tentative vagueness gives way to overexposure, off-putting.

Some of the best Godzilla flicks have had four or more monsters. Think Destroy All Monsters.

Hell, the last film that had Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah duking it out (Godzilla Mothra King Ghidorah: Giant Monster All-Out Attack) is one of a very short list of greatest daikaiju flicks ever.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast