Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Godzilla and King Kong Stuff (Mike Dougherty, Adam Wingard)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Godzilla and King Kong Stuff (Mike Dougherty, Adam Wingard)

Not really surprising given the opening weekend, but sorta surprising since Edwards had come and say they did not write it with sequels in mind.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/godz...areth-edwards/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    How is it this movie came out two days ago and I already feel so behind having not seen it yet?
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

How does Godzilla keep itself from starving? Between it and the two monsters, I think they only consumed metal.

Legit curiosity, as I haven't seen too many movies from this genre.

Meanwhile, I hope they don't do a MechaGodzilla as a way to fight Godzilla when it turns against everyone.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    How does Godzilla keep itself from starving? Between it and the two monsters, I think they only consumed metal.
    Great question.

[
    ]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Legit curiosity, as I haven't seen too many movies from this genre.
    They've never really showed him eating in any of the movies. It's implied that he gains nourishment from absorbing radioactive energy, like Superman with solar energy.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    They've never really showed him eating in any of the movies. It's implied that he gains nourishment from absorbing radioactive energy, like Superman with solar energy.
    So how do you explain the "prey" comment.

Hunter/prey does not mean that the hunter will eat the prey.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So how do you explain the "prey" comment.
    I didn't realize it needed explaining. Godzilla tracks them, hunts them, kills them, then fucks off back to the ocean. So they're his prey. Is the use of the word incorrect?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I still want my subtitle for Godzilla's final roar before returning to the ocean.

"Sniff you jerks later" or "Peace out, bitches".

I didn't realize it needed explaining. Godzilla tracks them, hunts them, kills them, then fucks off back to the ocean. So they're his prey. Is the use of the word incorrect?
    Yes.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    What does Prey mean in Canada?

Wow, OK Duke.

Wow what? It obviously it means something different otherwise you wouldn't have posted:

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Which is the definition of prey in the US.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    You've never heard of hunting for sport, Duke?

When a mercenary sniper calls an enemy combatant his prey, I do not assume he's gonna climb down the building to eat the dude he just shot.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    You've never heard of hunting for sport, Duke?
    I have many times. However, that's not prey .

Wow what? It obviously it means something different otherwise you wouldn't have posted:

You're wrong, can't admit you're wrong, and instead resort to acting like a dick.

That's "wow".

Yes, it is. While prey often means food, it doesn't always have to. Here's Merriam's definition. While the first mentions food, the second just mentions something that is easily harmed by something else.

There's more than one definition for a word, Duke. You are well aware of this. Why be purposefully difficult when our point is obvious?

In case Merriam isn't good enough, here's another site:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prey

The second definition here:

2. One that is defenseless, especially in the face of attack; a victim.

When a mercenary sniper calls an enemy combatant his prey, I do not assume he's gonna climb down the building to eat the dude he just shot.
    Never heard that before but I would only assume he's using tongue and cheek. Much like when a solider eats a dead donkey I don't think they are actually eating donkey.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    There's more than one definition for a word, Duke. You are well aware of this. Why be purposefully difficult when our point is obvious?

Whatever KF. I've obviously never heard it used this way before. It didn't make sense to me in the movie and it doesn't make sense to me now after reading this or whatever definition is on the internet.

Although this sentence makes more sense:

"Too often elderly people are easy prey for swindlers and other criminals."

Whatever KF. I've obviously never heard it used this way before. It didn't make sense to me in the movie and it doesn't make sense to me now after reading this or whatever definition is on the internet.

Although this sentence makes more sense:

"Too often elderly people are easy prey for swindlers and other criminals."
    I just don't understand why you're combative about something like this. And if you weren't, then my apologies for misreading the tone of your first reply to Meg. Why not just be inquisitive about what doesn't make sense to you rather than call it out as bullshit, and then brush those aside who are trying to explain it to you? Seems to be the much easier route to understanding.

Because it still doesn't make sense in the context it was used. I doubt Ken Watanabe was using it to describe a monster harming and not eating the other monsters. How would he even know that?

This is a really weird argument, but off the top of my head, three famous movie quotes involving the word being used in a non-cannibalistic manner...

"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? I ask that to all my prey. I just like the sound of it." - Batman

"Do not come between a Nazgul and his prey." - Return of the King

"Being a black man in America isn't easy. The hunt is on, and you are the prey." - Menace II Society
    Movie Theater Diary

I've already accepted the fact that there are two definitions of prey, but I stand by the context in which Watanabe uses the word. Just because it fits both definitions of the word, doesn't make me wrong.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast