Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Louie (season 4)

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I really hope it doesn't become the thing people talk about with this season, since it's been so generally stellar, and it's beginning to feel like any show that even brushes the idea of rape causes people to write articles about how they're going to stop watching it as if the show is somehow oblivious and irresponsible enough to have zero context or reasoning for it within any televisual storytelling.
    This is what I don't get. The idea that rape should just be ignored and never portrayed in any realistic fashion is completely ridiculous. That scene was absolutely 100% spot-on and realistic. It is what people actually mean when they talk about rape culture or when they cite figures that the majority of women have experienced sexual assault. Stupid, desperate men who feel they are entitled to sex because that's how society trains them to feel.

This whole season has been a dedication to women. It's a woman's show, just one that happens to be made by a man. It's totally refreshing and if there are actually people out there who are getting up in arms about the show because of that scene they are completely out of touch with reality. Louie knows exactly what he's doing, that's what I love about this season more than anything.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

"Into the Woods" was probably the best episode of the series since "Bully" (I have yet to watch the third season, though).

Quote Quoting Mitty (view post)
    "Into the Woods" was probably the best episode of the series since "Bully" (I have yet to watch the third season, though).
    The third season has three of my favorites. "Daddy's Girlfriend," "Late Show," and "New Year's Eve."

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    The third season has three of my favorites. "Daddy's Girlfriend," "Late Show," and "New Year's Eve."
    I will definitely get around to watching it.

Also, I got the title of the latest episode wrong. It's "In the Woods," not "Into the Woods."

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I'm not sure if it's even my favourite of this season (and the one's Floyd mentioned, plus "Miami", feel like my gut reaction for some of my overall best choices too), and there were some bits towards the end I felt didn't work as well as the strongest of it, but I've still been thinking about "In The Woods" constantly since watching it earlier this week.

Felt totally fresh but fit perfectly into the series. Just so many nonchalantly haunting moments and images. And in the complete opposite of the Season 1 way, like when the dentist put his dick in Louis' mouth while he was under.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Susan Kelechi Watson is the worst actress.
    She's certainly not offering a very good performance here. Her acting often comes across across as vaguely insincere and contrived.

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I'm not sure if it's even my favourite of this season (and the one's Floyd mentioned, plus "Miami", feel like my gut reaction for some of my overall best choices too), and there were some bits towards the end I felt didn't work as well as the strongest of it, but I've still been thinking about "In The Woods" constantly since watching it earlier this week.

Felt totally fresh but fit perfectly into the series. Just so many nonchalantly haunting moments and images. And in the complete opposite of the Season 1 way, like when the dentist put his dick in Louis' mouth while he was under.
    I was wondering, can we assume that the drug dealer played by Jeremy Renner was meant to be played by Philip Seymour Hoffman, hence the dedication? I know Hoffman was supposed to play a part in this fourth season, but I don't know if Louis ever mentioned what part he was to play. He would have been great in that role.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Hoffman was supposed to play the science teacher.

Ah. I stand reflected. Would've rather seen him as the drug dealer though.

I continue to appreciate just how idiosyncratic and eccentric this show is, and how the narrative parameters seem so elastic. This enables a certain number of misfires and problems, sure, but also some delightfully strange touches, like the surreal moment in the art gallery when Louie's face suddenly appears on the screen as he walks away.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    That was a great wrap up. I loved Marc Maron's speech about Louie being a shitty friend being a complete reverse of when Louie was on the WTF podcast and said the same exact speech about Maron.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Here's the thing with Louie. Is I tend to actually like most of the episodes. I just can't watch it unless I'm really in the mood (reply from someone here: I'm always in the mood. Me reply: Yes I know. I'm not.) But what has turned into a happy coincidence is I just was never in the mood for Louie while it was on the air so I've been able to marathon this season. I almost stopped because the Model episode just made me frustrated and angry. But then suddenly there's this great multi part story of relationships and I'm like oh this is fantastic and then I watched 3-8 in one night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12