Thread: Louie (season 4)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar

Louie (Season 4)

Oh, Louie, how I missed ye sad disgruntled HD face.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Somehow knowing that "Elevator" was the first of six(!) parts going into it was less startling than after seeing actually seeing the first episode play out. Very curious as to where it goes from here, since I can only imagine it involves a continued relationship of sorts with Ellen Burstyn and her niece, but have no clue otherwise.

I've really liked all the episodes so far, particularly the Yvonne Strahovski one. Adding an even more entertaining levels to it is how he's since talked about how much of it was based on a real experience he had years ago. You'd assume stuff like her being an astronaut's daughter would be part of the made up bits, but you'd be wrong.

The very first episode of the season almost felt like it was the most rushed and slight, but definitely still funny and heavy on the sort of oddball depiction of otherwise straightforward relatability only Louis can seem to conjure with the elastic world of the series. Also completely happy with it unofficially becoming an hour-long show with a seven-week run instead of the typical scheduling. The more of this can be injected into my week, the better.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

How did we survive for a year without this show?

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I've really liked all the episodes so far, particularly the Yvonne Strahovski one. Adding an even more entertaining levels to it is how he's since talked about how much of it was based on a real experience he had years ago. You'd assume stuff like her being an astronaut's daughter would be part of the made up bits, but you'd be wrong.
    Could you point me in the direction of where he talks about this?
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Could you point me in the direction of where he talks about this?
    Here it is. Obviously, like everything in the show, embellishment is a major factor (especially with it having happened to him decades ago), but I love how even Louis' fantastical version of it has to end the way it does for him.

Also, maybe it was because the scene was already so raw and involving (and maybe why the censors didn't catch it), but I didn't even notice that the show managed completely let Sarah Baker's character say "fucked" un-bleeped in her big monologue until others mentioned it.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Maaan, this show's the best. This week's Parts 2 and 3 have been beautifully buzzing in my head since I watched them Monday night.

I forget who said it (either a critic, someone here, someone on Twitter) last season about Louis making the best current American films for 20 minutes once a week, but it's like he heard that and both took it to heart and to its logical conclusion considering how "Elevator" might just actually shape up to be as amazing as any recently released two-hour feature once it's done its six parts. Just stunningly lovely stuff.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Totally. Louis has quietly turned himself into one of America's finest filmmakers. His attention to detail is outstanding. He even looks in great shape now—a recent interview in GQ said he's in the best shape of his life. I'm assuming that's why he took out the old intro: he's just stopped eating so much NYC pizza.