Walter Wangerin Jr.'s The Book of the Dun Cow is extraordinary. It is now my favorite beast epic / animal fable. I like it more than Animal Farm, Watership Down, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and Charlotte's Web. As far as Christian themed literature goes, it is also extraordinary. More nuanced than the Narnia books and Pilgrim's Progress, and not just a simple allegory. It's not really an allegory at all, but instead the book assumes that the Christian God is the god of the Animals upon the Earth, and the animals know this. But in this book, God turns his back on the animals, and leaves their fate up to them. God is NOT in control here, and this very much reflects my own view of the divine and our roles on Earth. It is one of the most subversive and harsh YA novels I've ever read. I can't imagine something like this being written for this audience today. Very real, very harsh, and very meaningful adult ideas, relationships, and desires are addressed in a bold and unflinching manner. The personification of evil, named Cockatrice, rapes every hen in his kingdom to produce an army of basilisks to send to war. It is dark, and bleak, full of sadness and sorrow, tragedy and hardship. But it is also brimming with humor and triumph. The animals - especially the ants - can be downright hilarious, and Wangerin breathes life into each of the species giving them natural mannerisms that enhance their biological differences. This is highly recommended. One of the very best fantasies I've read in years. Right up there with Lord Dunsany and George MacDonald.