Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fargo

Seen 4 episodes of season 2. Phenomenally good, possibly better than season 1. Shocked there's no season 2 thread.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Q: What would happen if No Country's murderous Chigurh, complete with unfazeable omnipresence and a comical haircut, was displaced in a bizarro-version of Fargo, where everything that made it such a memorable, excellent film is commodified and regurgitated in the most unimaginative ways?

A: A seriously sorry project, amounting to less than a straight-to-youtube homage cut by amateur theater students, in which a criminal amount of money is spent on sets that are plain, photography without wonder, flat performances, a pervasive purposelessness that redefines the film upon which it rotely retreads. Fargo is not just a film about folksiness and murder, but the machinations at work in the show reduce everything to mundane plot theatrics and silly accents, all the better to engage the semi-attention with which the public has been trained to consume TV shows.

That is this show and it is insufferable. Not only is it bad, but it destroys a beautiful thing. I can't believe the good reactions it's getting.
    I take back what I said in response to this before I watched it. This is actually all total BS. Like what the fuck were you even watching, Sven? The performances, particularly Freeman (best I've ever seen from him), Thornton, and Dunst in the second season, are absolutely magnificent. Fargo was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Loved it completely.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Finished it last night, and it really does have more Vince Gilligan than Coens in it, but that's okay, I think.
    Just finished the first season, and I would agree with this assessment. Aside from the obvious references, I thought this was a very different tone than you find in the Coens' work. I think this had one of the better pilots I've ever seen. It doesn't quite carry that momentum forward, but I still found it largely compelling and quite well made. Hawley deserves credit for crafting his own distinctive universe.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Watched the first two seasons in a hurry recently, enjoyed both very much; felt Season One had the better performances (if only just) while Season Two had a delicious sprawl and bizarre flights of fancy that I really got into. Slightly prefer Two, although there's nothing in it quite as effective as Season One's impeccable trio of Malvo / Nygard / Solverson (although Dunst and Plemons are damn near their equals).

Agreed with the Breaking Bad comparison. There's never quite the same amount of humanism and lightness of the original Fargo film.

Season 3 least engaging of the 3. Typical blend of Drama, thriller, comedy was off this time, veering towards buffoonery, silliness, distracted by McGregor's dual role.
    Thewlis saved it for me.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]