Thread: Orphan Black (Season 1)

Orphan Black (Season 1)

Halfway through, this is fun. It felt a bit unconfident and difficult to grasp for a few episodes, but now that the clones are established the plot and cast have gelled into a worthy television addict's fix. The universal acclaim for Maslany is entirely merited. Watching her play off herself and self-splinter is the main draw of this show, but the plot is adept enough to keep the material above average overall even without her stellar presence. It would be great if the show could mine some more humor in this bizarre scenario, but I'm enjoying it well enough as is.

The actor who plays Paul appears to have graduated from the David Boreanaz school of acting. As the scene becomes more dramatic, his mouth moves less and less.

Ok, comic relief found. Allison = favorite clone.

Yup. Marathoned the rest. Garbage disposal...wow. I fully expect Helena to make a Faith style return -- plenty more to explore there. Solid first season. Hope it can find appropriate ways to grow without becoming more obtuse. No more clones for the sake of clones. Keep it intimate and it should remain intriguing.

- - - - -
    I watched the first 2-3 episodes of this over the weekend and hollllllllly shit. I don't think I've seen a better hook in years.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    If there is any justice in this world, Tatiana Maslany will become a mega-star. She is absolutely phenomenal. I constantly forget these clones are being played by the same actress. I'm in complete awe. Finished season one a few weeks back and only have three episodes to go in season two. I didn't want to post this in the season two thread for fear of spoilers. Alison and Felix steal every episode their in together.

- - - - -
    Is Felix the gay friend dude? Because that guy is a riot. I fucking love him.

Agree with you about that actress. She's freaky. Even playing bland archetypes (like the soccer mom) it's weird how she disappears into each role.

There's almost something alien about it -- I keep squinting my eyes at the screen and convincing myself that, yeah, that's the same woman underneath.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Is Felix the gay friend dude? Because that guy is a riot. I fucking love him.
    Yep. Just wait until his relationship with the soccer mom develops. You will love both of them more than you can imagine.

Agree with you about that actress. She's freaky. Even playing bland archetypes (like the soccer mom) it's weird how she disappears into each role.

There's almost something alien about it -- I keep squinting my eyes at the screen and convincing myself that, yeah, that's the same woman underneath.
    Yep, she's incredible. The show is certainly not without faults. It's becoming a bit convoluted as it progresses, but I'll keep coming back for Maslany alone. She is truly special.

- - - - -
    Jesus, Paul --- [
    ]

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Just finished season 1 and I just wanted to say I would go gay for Felix in a heartbeat.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Almost done with the first season now. Wife and I binged over the weekend and it felt so damn good. Ditto the Felix sentiments and praise for Tatiana Maslany. I love how this show just goes for it, again and again. There have been so many thoughtful twists and having it all come at us from the perspective of the C-words is perfect for tension. Watched the episode where [
    ]. They capitalized on so much of the melodramatic material spread through out the first half of the season. The heavy-handed direction is still the Achilles Heel for me right now. Hope this clears up next season. All I have left are the last two episodes. I'm excited.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5