Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orphan Black (Season 2)

Orphan Black (Season 2)

Going to be catching up today. I did a quick re-watch of season 1 recently and actually liked it better the second time through.
    ...and the milk's in me.

And we have hit the ground running, people. Holy smokes.

Who is the actor playing the goon in the diner? The one who lived?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Digging how the season started--kinda expecting one more clone to be revealed in the next few episodes.

Hopefully Paul's loyalties will become a little bit clearer in the next few episodes. The reversal here felt unconnected to his earlier scenes.

Alison remains super awesome.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Kira has super-healing powers after getting hit by a car last week. Helena has super-healing powers after taking three to the chest. Does Sarah have super-healing powers?

And creepy farmer guy is going to use his cow-impregnating stick on Helena, isn't he? Ewwww. This show spends a lot of time dwelling on ownership issues regarding bodies, and consent, and violation.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I don't miss Paul. I'm totally okay with Paul fading into the background.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Hoo boy. I expected a certain amount of quality adjustment after the first season, but this season has been rip-roaring so far. I wish all the clones would get back together, though.

Cal is much more interesting than Paul.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Oh, and Felix is never allowed to cry again, because that was distressing. My poor baby.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Also, it turns out Blood Ties is a real musical! And that is really its poster!

I would watch it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Cal is much more interesting than Paul.
    Michiel Huisman is all over my television.

And that's a good thing. Mmmmm...

Hoping that Cosima is given more interesting things to do going forward. Her storyline always seems a bit more mechanical and insularly than the other clones. Letting her interact with Felix would be interesting.

Sarah mixing with Cal romantically seemed a bit too sudden, but eh, I'll go with it. I do dig the direction of Alison/Felix--love the musical storyline. Also like how Arthur's storyline allows the writers the ability to keep the procedural element here in minute but interesting ways.

Mainly worried about a more rote science/faith dichotomy going forward.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

I think I feel okay saying that this might actually be stronger, so far, than (the excellent) season 1. The show is turning in the hell up. I could barely breathe during the last ten minutes.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I know we all go on and on about Maslany, but there's something to be said for the way she has Helena eat. I don't know how she does it. It's really revolting. Especially when you think she'd do it for shot after shot.
    ...and the milk's in me.

This was a solid episode, but I must complain about Paul. I have no idea what side he is on, what game he is playing, or what he wants. That could be intentional (that they are having him play a secret game) or it could be that he's just not an emotive actor, but either way I'm really frustrated with him.

Cal, though, grows more interesting hourly.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Why, hello, Michelle Forbes. I love your face and your coat.

I know plenty has been said about the feminism of the show, and how it gender-flips traditional storytelling tropes, so this isn't new, but...

...wow, a lot of the way men are discussed / referred to is centered around their genitals. "Big Dick Paul." "Vic the Dick." “Don’t tell me Nail Gun Ken is still in the picture.”

Side note: the odd sexualization of Cosima's exam scene was creepy. All this touching and kissing while a medic lubes up metal equipment. Weird and icky.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I... dunno, you guys. This episode both went nowhere and also to some really strange places.
    ...and the milk's in me.

After a weak episode eight, this week's righted itself quite smoothly. Donnie and Alison are the power couple of the show, and the post-burial scene was crazy wonderful. Hopefully the show keeps it reigned in, though, and doesn't push it toward fan service.

Otherwise, the longer Paul's gone the less vital he seems to the show. That's not a bad thing, but an observation. Though Vic's return has been handled nicely.

I'll be curious to see where they end things next week...
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Ah, yes. This was an excellent return to form. I'm loving the Alison & Donny show, and how Donny is coming into his own with confidence and savvy.

The Helena subplot (which was kind of a mess) is also finding some interesting directions. I'm even getting a handle on Rachel, who was a cipher for a long time.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I would say that this season got a little sloppy by the end, but it was still a compelling bit of television. They tried to fit waaay too much in the final episode.

I do, however, approve of the last little twist. As soon as they said "male clones" I thought, "Please be Enver Gjokai" then I thought "Please don't be freaking Paul." When we saw the man's back, I very emphatically thought "NO DON'T BE FELIX" and ended up fairly relieved that it was Mark (who has been a solid performer this year.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

- - - - -
    I'm about half way through the second season. I still like the show, but I like it less.

Mostly, I'm keep tripping over the character of Helena. Not only is she completely unbelievable, but after committing multiple , brutal murders, the fact that the heroine (and almost every supporting player) help and protect her obliterates my suspension of disbelief.

"Hey, friend, need a favor. You know that serial murderer and bat shit crazy twin I told you about? Do you mind if she stays with you for a couple of days?" "Yeah, sure. No problem."

Uh ... What?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I'd rate season one a bit higher than this last season. This one seemed to really stumble as it headed to the finish. I feel like it's trying to accomplish waaaaay too much in far too short a period of time. The entrance and exit of the farm is a perfect example of this. Perhaps it's a show that just doesn't settle well with binge-watching (although season one had no issues for me). Too often I'm left scratching my head at the quick change of heart the characters display. "We can't trust Helena! Never mind, it's cool if she stays with us." "We can't let them anywhere near Kira, it's too dangerous! Well, maybe just this once, with our supervision." "You scammed me and took me for a lot of money and left me stranded! Oh well, I forgive you, let's have sex." I feel like if the show just took its time, these interactions and decisions would seem a lot less forced, but perhaps they don't have that luxury. I'm not sure at this point. I guess a lot of that depends on just how far they are from completing the story they want to tell.

That said, I'm still having a lot of fun with the show. It's extremely entertaining in all the best ways. I'm in constant awe of Maslany. Her talent is just staggering. Alison is the highlight. I would say Alison and (insert name here), but it's clear that no matter who they pair her with, the result is that those two steal the show.

Not even Michiel Huisman could keep me watching. My husband and I gave up. Love Maslany, but the show just started to feel very gimmicky to us.

I've only skimmed about half this thread, since I've still got 2 episodes in my DVR, but I feel like this whole season has been treading water. Not nearly as gripping as season 1. Hoping for a strong last 2 episodes.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

- - - - -

"Making of Orphan Black's Clone Dance Party"

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    2 episodes in. Not enjoying this so far, after loving the first season.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Just finished season 2. Probably liked season 1 the best of the two but this one was still fantastic. Helena is my favorite followed by Allison.

I also seem to be the only person in the world who liked Tony.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast