34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

25 73.53%
  • Nay

9 26.47%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snowpiercer (Bong Joon-ho)

- - - - -
    Eh, The Dissolve's tone may be different & the writing more assured, but the focus is very much the same as those others. (Unless, ya know, Sight and Sound and Film Comment have started publishing articles about Disney's live-action Jungle Book remake.)

Anyway, that doesn't detract from the point I made.

Producer
    It's in the news section, isn't it? Their actual articles that are not reporting movie news are pretty well-balanced, I think.

It depends on the reviewer too. Actually having a hard time imagining Scott Tobias or Mike D'Angelo as fanboy-type.

- - - - -
    Huh? It's all the same editorial. Same site. Same writers. (Matt Singer wrote the Jungle Book news item, for instance).

What they're doing isn't fundamentally different than what BAD or HitFix does: Covering AAA, mainstream, American movies.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Huh? It's all the same editorial. Same site. Same writers. (Matt Singer wrote the Jungle Book news item, for instance).

What they're doing isn't fundamentally different than what BAD or HitFix does: Covering AAA, mainstream, American movies.
    They cover everything and have different features like "movie of the week" or "forgotbusters" or whatever. It's meant to be for movies what Pitchfork is for music which is to give you news items, reviews, lists, whatever. If it's cinematic, The Dissolve will cover it.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    If it's cinematic, The Dissolve will cover it.
    Riiiiiight. And how is that fundamentally different from a site like HitFix? Other than tone, I mean.

PS: Here's another good one, also written by Matt Singer-- http://thedissolve.com/news/2895-op-...-yet-and-im-a/

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Riiiiiight. And how is that fundamentally different from a site like HitFix? Other than tone, I mean.

PS: Here's another good one, also written by Matt Singer-- http://thedissolve.com/news/2895-op-...-yet-and-im-a/
    That's a great write up, but the stand alone movies need these generic bad guys otherwise the movies would have no conclusion. Each one would have a TO BE CONTINUED tacked on to the end of it. (Maybe that's what they need to start doing?) But to the articles point, the villains in Star Wars had greater success in 2 movies than Thanos has had in 10.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That's a great write up, but the stand alone movies need these generic bad guys otherwise the movies would have no conclusion.
    That's a great point, one which nobody is really talking about. (Also another pet peeve: The shaggy ending to GOTG. Do we really need every damn thing to be a lead in to a sequel?)

But to the articles point, the villains in Star Wars had greater success in 2 movies than Thanos has had in 10.
    Star Wars was more heavily plotted than a lot of Marvel stuff, though. It was also a better story, because there were reversals and the character's goals change over the course of a single film. Marvel's formula is too rigid for that to happen.

You really think HitFix is the same as Dissolve? I mean Dissolve's front page currently has not one, but two articles about The Double Life of Veronique and one article about The Man Who Fell to Earth. HitFlix currently has an article about "Country's Night to Rock" on ABC and "Ranking of Female Roles in Marvel." It's like an entertainment ClickHole.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    You really think HitFix is the same as Dissolve? I mean Dissolve's front page currently has not one, but two articles about The Double Life of Veronique and one article about The Man Who Fell to Earth. HitFlix currently has an article about "Country's Night to Rock" on ABC and "Ranking of Female Roles in Marvel." It's like an entertainment ClickHole.
    Essentially, yes. Veronique is their "Movie of the Week." It's one of their regular columns. If you scan through the history of sites like HitFix or BAD, you'll see that they tried something similar, and quickly discovered that posts about old movies do not bring page views.

The Dissolve benefits from corporate sponsorship so they're not a beholden to clicks or publicists. But the bulk of their content isn't dissimilar to every other movie site out there. (News from the trades, twitter, or Instagram. Reviews of major American releases, etc).

It's just not as noticeable because they've got a small staff and don't churn bullshit news articles the way HitFix does. But I expect that'll change the second Pitchfork runs out of patience.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I loved this movie for an hour and a half and kinda like the last half-hour, which is arguably the most thematically loaded section and also the one most devoted to characters talking-talking-talking. There's so much that Bong Joon-Ho accomplish through visuals and overall conceit that having a villain monologue about orderly societies feels redundant, almost tacky...

[
    ]

But yeah, a mostly honorable and aggressively exciting sci-fi melodrama that at times matches the patchwork cheer of The Host, which similarly twisted together social commentary, kooky comic beats, and unexpected emotions.

Rewatched it on Netflix. Better than I remember. The ending feels smoother. A couple of beats feel confusing - I don't remember what provokes the Korean girl to try and open the floor in the engine room. Is she looking for another panel? Also, that gesturing that Swinton does...

[
    ]

The fish makes more sense to me now, working as both a symbol of the violence needed to sustain balance (with the aquarium as an analogue for the whole train) and as a symbol of Curtis himself, a "big fish" that needs to be taken down. Along with the obvious no-fucks-given intimidation of showing the tail folks the death of an animal they don't even know still exists.

That kind of unspoken symbology reminds me of my favorite thing about Noah, seeing new symbols like the serpent's skin and the fruit of knowledge as a pulsing heart. It's fun to see these things take up space and leave room open for interpretation. Not to bag on other directors I like, but compare that kind of stuff to the rat at the end of The Departed and the well in The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan just couldn't help showing a flashback to the well from Begins, which diminishes the pleasure of us making that connection ourselves).

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    A couple of beats feel confusing - I don't remember what provokes the Korean girl to try and open the floor in the engine room.
    [
    ]

The hand gesture thing did seem unclear; I also took it as a benediction. Just something symbolic they do in their sermons since [
    ]
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

I loved the underlying premise but it lacks in execution - mostly in the writing department. Mostly concur with Qrazy's thoughts. Nay.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    This was a mess, and not a good mess. The writing is poor, the story far too sentimental and corny, and the whole film seemed to lack a cohesiveness. It felt like a collection of interesting ideas cobbled together in poor fashion. Really disappointing.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I found this a disappointment. It wasn't horrible, but the individual elements that were effective didn't fit together well at all.
    ...and the milk's in me.

This forum. God. I feel like Smarf on "Too Many Cooks."

Just watched this and like most here, I was digging on it for a while, then it became a rather large mess.

The "Willy Wonka in Hell" thing was something I thought of almost immediately during the Ed Harris speech. I didn't like the third act at all.

One question, though, that I haven't seen answered anywhere:

[
    ]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    [read this post as if you were watching John Stewart, in other words, take it as non-malicious]

Really? That's the one question you have after watching this movie? A question that is irrelevant to the plot?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    [read this post as if you were watching John Stewart, in other words, take it as non-malicious]

Really? That's the one question you have after watching this movie? A question that is irrelevant to the plot?
    :lol:

Well, I did say I had a question that hadn't been asked...

Believe me, I had a LOT of questions...most had already been asked is all

It's meant to be open to interpretation, but Bong has said that he intended for it to be ironic optimism. The idea being that while the human race busy themselves warring over class systems on the train, they don't even notice that life never stopped out in nature. It's a sneaky environmental film, which is why he made it so that an avalanche, not a man-made bomb, that dealt the final blow to the train.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It's meant to be open to interpretation, but Bong has said that he intended for it to be ironic optimism. The idea being that while the human race busy themselves warring over class systems on the train, they don't even notice that life never stopped out in nature. It's a sneaky environmental film, which is why he made it so that an avalanche, not a man-made bomb, that dealt the final blow to the train.
    The polar bears killed the last humans anyway.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This film is officially underrated on here. Shame on you, MC. Shame on you.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

But the avalanche was caused by the bomb...oh nevermind.

Great entertaining and powerful film but I wasn't a fan of the ending. That could change on a second viewing. Chris Evans showed he can do more than play Captain America but I already knew that having seen Scott Pilgrim.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

This just opened in theaters here in Brazil out of nowhere and terribly late, I've been keeping this on my "to watch" list for a long time and was not disappointed, it has that b-movie cult status written all over it and I haven't felt that in a long time. Judging from the little I knew, my expectations were in for a regular action movie and was taken by surprise with the weird fairy tale-like story, wrapped in a brutal asian style actioner with an even more surprising parade of A list hollywood faces. Yeah, I knew very little about it besides starring Evans and being directed by Bong 'the host' dude.

Not to say the film isn't without flaws but the good easily outweights the bad for me, there's a madness and imagination in this that grabbed me by the balls, from Tilda's delightfully bizarre character to the excellent use of it's narrow sets, at least the first two thirds were a trip, and reading through that list of nitpicks from the IMDB guy sounds like he didn't actually paid attention to the movie or was just being a douche [
    ]

That said I agree the sniper shootout scene was probably the dumbest bit in the movie and it could be cut off without much of a loss, and that the last act kinda sucked the energy out of the movie, [
    ], but maybe that bit dragged a bit too long.

And a genuine nitpick: [
    ]

Need to watch more Bong films ASAP, should have done that earlier since I love The Host.
    Last edited by KK2.0; 09-17-2015 at 06:34 PM.

I would hardly call The Dissolve a "fanboy blog." Outside of web annexes for print publications like Film Comment and Sight & Sound, it's one of the best film sites around.
    Rest in Peace The Dissolve. I blame Irish. That danny boy leprechaun mick has to ruin everything.*

[
    ]
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 09-19-2015 at 06:46 AM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast