Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silicon Valley (Season One)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yeah, this show really came together with the essentially two-part finale. The ending scenes became a little too antiseptically cheerful for me (or at least, for the episode/series considering the tone and voice of almost everything else in it), but it was still a really satisfying end to the season.

My favourite bit with defining conceptual novelty to it from earlier in the season was probably the failed hologram turned Skype conversation turned phone call at Hooli, but the Disrupt episodes were just packed with stuff like that. (Pretty much everything already mentioned, plus the wide-ranging dead-on parodying of tech conference presentations.)

Even the sorts of dialogue exchanges I could predictively quote as they unfolded ("Oh my god, every day feels like I've died and gone to hell." [confused look, "I'm sorry?"] "He's a satanist, so that's good.") kept such funny, refreshing momentums in their scenes.

Good stuff.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Enjoyable enough first season. Loved the escalating absurdity regarding the dick joke--hopefully they give Middleditch a bit more confidence next season since his essential wimpiness--while an excellent contrast with T.J. Miller's general bro-ness--is a bit too limiting. He's not quite that dynamic of a character and if he's given more shades with which to work, it'll help build out his character.

Otherwise, I repeat my desire for the show to expand out female characters so that it's not so Monica heavy.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Director

If you don't know, that's written by an MIT graduate who is a compression expert and wrote the code they used for Pied Piper.

The level of technical accuracy on the show is actually pretty insane. They have a dozen tech consultants. There's a guy in the writer's room who helps the writers make sure all the jargons are accurate. There's a guy who walks around the set making sure that every notes on the white boards and post-its are things that coders would actually write. All the code you see on computer screens are actually functional. They even called around a bunch of startups to see if Pied Piper could be a viable business model, and the writers have apparently changed the story a couple of times based on feedback on whether or not a certain scenario could realistically come up.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Just burned through the first season in a day of working at home. I was sort of luke warm about the show after a couple episodes. It felt a little like it was going to constantly fall back on watching its characters fail in uncomfortable fashion to get its laughs, which isn't something I generally latch on to, but about halfway through it found a nice stride, and that finale was absolutely beautiful. I'm very much looking forward to another season and watching this group juggle their success.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Bwhahahaha I just finished this season- (finally)- so good.

"You're code gay- Hey, would you like to masturbate to the subroutine I just wrote?"
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12