Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silicon Valley (Season One)

Silicon Valley (Season One)

There were a few good laughs that the series trailer didn't spoil here, the repartee is typical Judge so far. While I don't yet see how they can sustain the concept for more than a season or two, I think I'm generally intrigued enough to follow along for the rest of this season.

I'm hopeful that it'll explore some of the gender divide rather than just note its existence, ...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    First episode on Youtube for free.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This T.J. Miller is a riot. I'm invested.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Mike Judge has an uncanny ability to make every setting/subculture he tackles feel incredibly authentic and over the top at the same time.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Mike Judge has an uncanny ability to make every setting/subculture he tackles feel incredibly authentic and over the top at the same time.
    He so does. I was giggling when they were walking into work at 6:19 and commenting on the Marketing team's "bike meeting"... *as you see 8 people riding one of those tandem bikes*

They have so much to play with here I have a feeling the series can only get better.

The CEO hero worship, too. "I'm a VP here, and I only see him about 10 minutes a month. But that 10 minutes is amazing."
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Haha. Yeh. The beginning the show is filled with them.

"A few days ago, when we sat down with Barack Obama, I turned to these guys and said OK, we're making a lot of money and yes we're disrupting digital media, but most importantly we're making the world a better place.... Take it away... my good friend KID ROCK!"

The CEO hero worship, too. "I'm a VP here, and I only see him about 10 minutes a month. But that 10 minutes is amazing."
    The PR images of the president in Africa and holding a lamb. ..
    Fantastic cast on this show. Sad about Christopher Evan Welch. He's great here.

Yeah. I'm not sure how much of the season he got to shoot, or how they're going to address it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Why didn't he ask for more from Gregory after his boss upped the offer from $4M to $10M?

$200K offer for 5% ownership = based on 5% of $4M "valuation."

...then the boss ups his offer to $10M, but the lead never even relays that number to Gregory. He just decides to take the $200K. He should be selling that 5% for $500K. I dunno -- stuff like this sticks out to me more on shows that aim for business/industry realism.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Really liked the premiere.

I'd been hoping/saying for years that Mike Judge should do live action television because of how solid his animated shows are and how structurally well-suited for longer formatting his movies always feel (particularly Office Space and Idiocracy). And on the flipside, I've always wanted to see him try doing another animated features, since in my mind Do America is the perfect template for turning a basically narrative-less, arc-less TV series into a self-aware "big" film. So if he suddenly had an animated idea that was even more designed specifically for a one-off story in that medium, than it could be marvelous.

But for now, I'm very much into wherever he wants to take this series, and I hope it becomes another steady gig to thrive and open more opportunities for him.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I love the spiritual advisor that just tells the Hooli CEO whatever he wants to hear. “In the hands of the enlightened, hate can be a tool for great change.”

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Why didn't he ask for more from Gregory after his boss upped the offer from $4M to $10M?

$200K offer for 5% ownership = based on 5% of $4M "valuation."

...then the boss ups his offer to $10M, but the lead never even relays that number to Gregory. He just decides to take the $200K. He should be selling that 5% for $500K. I dunno -- stuff like this sticks out to me more on shows that aim for business/industry realism.
    But the kid is not business savvy, at all.

Looking up "business plan" on wikipedia cracked me up.
    Movie Theater Diary

Looking up "business plan" on wikipedia cracked me up.
    I have definitely done similar in my job.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I'm enjoying this show and I think it's funny but I keep seeing ads where they mention "you'll laugh your ass off" and I definitely don't think this is one of those shows or is trying to be one of those shows.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Still enjoying this one. Best episode yet on Sunday, though I'm tiring of the T.J. Miller's one-note character. Hopefully he gets more dimension soon. Loved them saying their names as the other Pied Piper entered the house.

I hope the films makes more room for women on the show--certainly Richard and Monica are going to be the central romance, but this terrain could explore more interesting gender ground.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Great finale. Best dick joke ever?
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

So fucking funny. The more they went on the funnier it got.

Laughed so hard at the finale. Combination of that dick joke and Zach Woods losing his mind.

"We're not here to tell you what to do with your rats, we're here to get you rats, stat."

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Laughed so hard at the finale. Combination of that dick joke and Zach Woods losing his mind.

"We're not here to tell you what to do with your rats, we're here to get you rats, stat."
    I pretty much lost my shit with that line. Zach Woods' performance and make-up were unhinged hilarity throughout the episode. Gotta' say, this was both the funniest and most promising episode of the season. I'm invested in every character at this point and it's delivering dependably funny content. Agree that it doesn't earn the "gut-busting" rep that HBO's trying to brand it with, but only to it's benefit. Can't wait for next season.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Which one? Which one? Which one?
    Movie Theater Diary

Also, the microwave for your skin. This show is fantastic.

With Community gone, this may be the funniest show on tv. That finale was perfection.

Any word on how many episodes next season will be? Hopefully at least ten.

zach woods was incredible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast