View Poll Results: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

27 72.97%
  • Nay

10 27.03%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Anthony Russo, Joe Russo)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Anthony Russo, Joe Russo)

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

Directors: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo

imdb

This movie has its moments, a few nice lines of dialogue here and there, but for the most part, it's little more than a dull, boring, uninspired shoot-em-up. The action scenes were a chore to sit through, shot in such close quarters and with so many quick cuts that it bordered real close to that nauseating shakey-cam-ish line. But where the last couple Marvel movies were filled with moments of sheer creativity, particularly in their action sequences, there was nothing of the sort to be found here, sadly, and I sat through all these action scenes just waiting, dying for something more than just more shoot shoot, bang bang to happen. Blah.

It's not terrible, though, certainly not Iron Man 2 bad at least. But yeah, it's definitely a weaker entry in these Marvel movies, and tonally is probably the least Marvel-feeling movie of the whole bunch so far. I did like the musical cues for The Winter Soldier himself, however. In fact, that was probably the best aspect of the whole entire movie for me. But as a whole, this one was a disappointment.

Also, only about 10 people actually stayed for the after credits sequence, which kinda just boggles my mind at this point. Do people really still not know to stay, or have they just quit caring?

Best action scenes and narrative pacing since The Avengers. I almost liked it as much as Iron Man 3.

Goddamn. The action in this film was amazing.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Got IMAX tickets for this tonight.

Somehow I was able to see through just how much of a snooze fest Thor 2 was and completely ignored it when it was in theaters.

This movie seems more inline with fun.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Bullet points:

[
    ]
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

This might be my favorite of the Marvel Bunch. They have become so confident in what they have that they don't step lightly around any of their elements.

The Russos did some amazing work here. I thought the hand to hand action scenes were pretty amazingly choreographed, and I love how Steve really does seem like an old-school best generation Patriot trapped in the body of a dudebro gym rat.

With every outing, Evans shows his ability to carry a film more and more, though he did have a lot of help here. Johansson was used very well, as was Mackie. Redford was just a great addition to this thing. I loved the hell out of it.

And 8...a couple of thoughts about your bullet points:

[
    ]

Echoing what everyone else here said about the action scenes. They're great. Sorry TGM, it's a frenetic movie allright, but lo and behold the framing is tight, powerful, visceral, but nearly always coherent. These Russo chaps, i was way wrong about them, but they did make me, you and dupree so not my fault. Perhaps you were letdown by some of the action as so much is footed in reality. Chases and shootouts feel more like Michael Mann than what a comicbook flick should serve up, but that's what I loved about that first huge chase scene. Henry Jackman's score, rather than going for big heroic cues, serves up the sinister motif at the beginning of it. That said, i was somewhat reminded about Ebert's paragraph in his review for the league of extraord. Gentlemen in that the villains seem to shoot a lot, but hit very little, if anything at all. Bad guys never fire at the captains feet or legs, but always his shield and these are dudes who probably know the target they're chasing. Great Fx by ILM. Even when the movie goes huuuuge, every explosion, crash and collision registers. A bit letdown by the villains ultimate plan which, once more, comes down to [
    ] but which felt like more of an excuse to end big and oooh climactic rather than inspired.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    So so good. The best thing I've seen so far this year.

And brutal. [
    ]
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

I love the shit out of that scene. Captain America inspiring some helpless techie to willingly get shot in the head, Sharon Carter standing up for him. A lot of moments in the film gave me an idealism boner, and that's exactly how I want a Captain America story to be.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I love the shit out of that scene. Captain America inspiring some helpless techie to willingly get shot in the head...
    Agreed. I liked how everyone was suddenly looking to this nameless tech to decide whether they're all going to go along with this or not.
    Out of 4 stars:

I've been reading Vol 4 of Essential Cap...combined with the posts in this thread...I'm fucking drooling to see this flick.

I thought this was a goof at first. [
    ] The continuity is pretty impressive.
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Great. I dont know which I like better, IM3 or this. The choreography is incredible with the hand to hand fighting; just superb. I loved the opening stealth mission on the boat.

Scarlett Johansson had voice fry throughout the entire movie; so distracting.

Did anyone catch Cap's full to do list?

[
    ]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

What was [
    ]. They keep referring to it. The opening boat mission was good, but i must be missing a link to what transpires after so to me it felt a little like a solid james bond pre-credits sequence and not as exciting as all the rest.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    What was [
    ]. They keep referring to it. The opening boat mission was good, but i must be missing a link to what transpires after so to me it felt a little like a solid james bond pre-credits sequence and not as exciting as all the rest.
    [
    ]
    Out of 4 stars:

Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    [
    ]
    But then it stands to reason Fury [
    ]

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

$96 million opening. Broke April box office record.
    Movie Theater Diary

Maybe I'm just too old for this shit, but I was pretty bored by the time the second half ticked down. Also, must all these movies be over two hours now?

I did like all the Illuminati/They Live style paranoia with the true SHIELD peeps getting all WikiLeaks on dat HYDRA azz.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Did anyone else find Black Widow's monologue during the car ride to the base ("Who do you want me to be?") consistent with the thematic content of Johansson's recent projects (Her, Under the Skin, Don Jon)?
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

So they spoiled the [
    ] thing on Agents of SHIELD last night. Color me really surprised. Seems like a bold move to assume everyone saw the movie opening weekend.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    So they spoiled the [
    ] thing on Agents of SHIELD last night. Color me really surprised. Seems like a bold move to assume everyone saw the movie opening weekend.
    I think what they were actually assuming is that nobody watching would believe Fury's death in the first place. Cuz why would you?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I think what they were actually assuming is that nobody watching would believe Fury's death in the first place. Cuz why would you?
    Exactly. Just one of many reasons this film wasn't very good.

What's spoiled wasn't the fact that he's alive, but that he was attacked and "died." Regardless of whether or not you think his death was going to stick (which is a moot point in superhero stories so I don't see why that should affect the quality of the story one way or another), it's a pretty major plot point in the movie that the show casually revealed.
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah, no one ever "dies" in a superhero film/comic book. It's hard to fault the film for staying true to its roots.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast