• Nay

2 8.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Immigrant (James Gray)

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    This was fucking incredible.

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    This was fucking incredible.
    I concur. This and Under the Skin are the two 'great new films' I've seen this year so far. Interesting that they were both dumped in spring/summer slots which leads me to believe the distributors thought that Oscar voters wouldn't get them (probably true).

On a surface level it's steeped in 70s American cinema (Coppola, Cimino, some Altman esp. McCabe & Mrs. Miller) but it has the big beating moral European heart of Chekhov, Dreyer, Bresson, and the Dardennes. Which, when you think about it, that duality makes total sense considering the confused sense of place these characters exist in.

'The Good Guy' makes a bad choice and 'The Bad Guy' makes a great choice. The self loathing Jew ultimately behaves more Christ-like than the angelic Christian lamb. Nice work.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Yeah, I don't understand dumping this one at all. You're telling me Harvey can get a Best Picture nom for Philomena, but he can't sell The Immigrant?

Errand Boy
    I wasn't taken by it. [
    ] After finding Two Lovers so fascinating and rich, this was really disappointing.

Two Lovers is still my favorite by a fair margin, but I thought this was pretty good. The atmosphere leaves a deep, lasting impression, even when I was only sort of engaged by the narrative.

Weems, are you talking about [
    ]
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Elegantly crafted, and exquisite performances from Phoenix and Cotillard aside, this movie takes a rather unconvincing, even boring shift when Jeremy Renner enters the movie. He's not particularly bad by any means, I just think the movie takes a dour drop after a well done first act, and never quite recovers.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'll counter E's boring and predictable nay by saying that there is no better working director right now than James Gray. The Immigrant is no exception.

Maybe Mike Leigh.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I'll counter E's boring and predictable nay by saying that there is no better working director right now than James Gray. The Immigrant is no exception.

Maybe Mike Leigh.
    After only five films? Suck on that Bertolucci, Godard, Greenaway, Hou, Jarmusch, Kiarostami, de Oliveira, Polanski, Straub, Varda.

Personally, even among his contemporaries--that is, directors who made their first features in the '90s--I wouldn't rate him as highly as Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, Bruno Dumont, Todd Haynes, Jia Zhang-ke, Jiang Wen, Jafar Panahi, David O. Russell, Quentin Tarantino, or Tsai Ming-liang (just to rattle off the first ten names that come to mind).
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Yes baby doll, we know you love listing directors when given the opportunity.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Maybe he makes a list of top twenty, but certainly not top ten.

FWIW, I am a huge fan of Two Lovers and We Own The Night.

Put a new Coen, Spielberg, Gray, or Bird film in front of Watashi. Let's see what he truly picks.

yawn.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Maybe he makes a list of top twenty, but certainly not top ten.

FWIW, I am a huge fan of Two Lovers and We Own The Night.

Put a new Coen, Spielberg, Gray, or Bird film in front of Watashi. Let's see what he truly picks.

yawn.
    Spielberg? You mean that dude who made War Horse? Yawn.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Yes baby doll, we know you love listing directors when given the opportunity.
    Personally, out of all the kinds of listing there are I'd have to say that I wouldn't rate listing directors as highly as listing say fruit or types of rocks or dogs or trombones (just to name a few types of listing that come to mind).
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    After only five films? Suck on that Bertolucci, Godard, Greenaway, Hou, Jarmusch, Kiarostami, de Oliveira, Polanski, Straub, Varda.
    Several of these would make my all time list, but in terms of working directors today, there are several other directors making much stronger films these days. Godard is always important and interesting, but for me, he doesn't get top 10 consideration based on his recent work. Although he would certainly get top 10 consideration all time based on his overall career. My criteria would be something like this: which director working today has been making the most interesting films of the past couple of decades?

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Personally, even among his contemporaries--that is, directors who made their first features in the '90s--I wouldn't rate him as highly as Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, Bruno Dumont, Todd Haynes, Jia Zhang-ke, Jiang Wen, Jafar Panahi, David O. Russell, Quentin Tarantino, or Tsai Ming-liang (just to rattle off the first ten names that come to mind).
    Here's how James Gray ranks for me.

Top 10 working Anglophone directors

1. James Gray
    2. Terrence Malick
    3. Michael Mann
    4. Sofia Coppola
    5. Harmony Korine
    6. Jonathan Glazer
    7. Richard Linklater
    8. Alfonso Cuarón
    9. Sarah Polley
    10. Quentin Tarantino

HM: Arnold, Bujalski, Ferrara, Jarmush, Holofcener, Scorsese, Lee, Allen, McQueen, Wiseman, Baumbach, Stillman, Armstrong

Top 10 in the world

1. Claire Denis
    2. Hou Hsiao-hsien
    3. Chantal Akerman
    4. James Gray
    5. Terrence Malick
    6. Leos Carax
    7. Sharunas Bartas
    8. Wong Kar-wai
    9. Lars von Trier
    10. Michael Haneke

A few more HM: Dumont, Costa, Godard, Diaz, Grandrieux, Assayas, Weerasethakul, Strelyanaya, Reygadas, Breillat, Mungiu, Petzold, Kiarostami, Arslan, and Hong, but Haynes, Jia, Jiang, Jatar, Russell, and Tsai wouldn't even crack my top 30. So much for that. Wes Anderson wouldn't crack my anything. PTA is up there, he might be top 20 American/Anglophone, but not really anywhere high worldwide.

In other words, Watashi wasn't really off base for me. I totally sympathize, especially since Akerman, although she made one of her best films two years ago, it's hard to say how long it will be before she makes another, or if she even does, which would move Gray up to the #3 spot worldwide for me. So yeah, I'm with you Watashi.

Quote Quoting Izzy Black (view post)
    Godard is always important and interesting, but for me, he doesn't get top 10 consideration based on his recent work. Although he would certainly get top 10 consideration all time based on his overall career. My criteria would be something like this: which director working today has been making the most interesting films of the past couple of decades?
    What's not to love about late Godard? In comparison, most other directors just don't seem to be working very hard.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I really like late Godard, but I just think the directors I mentioned have been making better films. Consequently, I think comparatively directors are working quite hard.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Pheonix is surprisingly mediocre.
    The self-flagellation near the end, shot in profile, where Phoenix's face seems to undergo monstrous contortions, and he unleashes that anguished paroxysm of regret and self-loathing, is extraordinary. It's a moment of immense devastation and performative magnetism. In that instance, the film forcefully secures a place within the pantheon of special and indelible movie moments. It's as far away from mediocre as you can get.

This one never quite quite came together for me--wonderful art direction and visual design, but the characters aren't especially compelling, and various plot mechanisms feel too much a part of this world (the other woman witnessing the murder especially, Ewa as a perverted Statue of Liberty). I love the idea of doing a study on the immigrant tradition in America in the 1920s, as Anzia Yezierska's Bread Givers is a favorite of mine, but this film too quickly pushes Ewa into prostitution without ever suggesting that she consider, even if she ultimately dismisses, sewing work or the like available to women at slave-labor conditions.

The film has a staid nature that both serves it well visually and keep a bit flat, but that final shot--with each party heading to their separate fates, is a marvel. Ultimately, just a little too underwhelmed by the characters to get behind as others have.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting Mitty - formerly known as Goofy20202 (view post)
    The self-flagellation near the end, shot in profile, where Phoenix's face seems to undergo monstrous contortions, and he unleashes that anguished paroxysm of regret and self-loathing, is extraordinary. It's a moment of immense devastation and performative magnetism. In that instance, the film forcefully secures a place within the pantheon of special and indelible movie moments. It's as far away from mediocre as you can get.
    Nah, that whole character arc is lame and thus the moment is rendered inconsequential. I prefer his facial spasming at the end of Two Lovers when he realizes he won't get what he desires.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Nah, that whole character arc is lame and thus the moment is rendered inconsequential. I prefer his facial spasming at the end of Two Lovers when he realizes he won't get what he desires.
    True. But can we at least agree that the final shot is either totally on-point or completely on-the-nose, depending on how one feels about the film? I tend to agree with Mitty, although I think Grey knew a little too well that it was an indelible moment.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Yeah, for those of us who don't think the character is lame and flat, it's a beautiful moment.

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    True. But can we at least agree that the final shot is either totally on-point or completely on-the-nose, depending on how one feels about the film? I tend to agree with Mitty, although I think Grey knew a little too well that it was an indelible moment.
    Sure, agreed.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

The pivot is good but the movie takes too long to pivot.

What are you guys going on about? This film is incredible. I remember a really well written article about a year ago that argued that Gray is part of a dying group of filmmakers who combine large budgets and prestige filmmaking with serious, challenging themes. Immigrant pretty much proves that article exactly right.

I just don't understand how anyone can say Ewa is a non-character or find her annoying. Hell, truth be told, the only character I found annoying from a personal standpoint is Renner's. Everyone else I understood completely to the point where I didn't know who to root for, which is something that only happens in really good drama.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12