Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Winter Olympics (Sochi)

2014 Winter Olympics (Sochi)

I know people are watching, but I don't think we have a thread.

I like the Olympics-- it's probably the most into athletics I get-- though I tend to prefer the summer games.

The opening ceremony was... eh, fine. The USA sweaters were ridiculous. The Russian outfits were amazing, so I count that as a loss on our side. I went to bed before the actual torch-lighting.

I also watched some of the highlights on Thursday, and found the snowboarding open course to be really absorbing. And figure skating looks like it's going to be pretty intense.
    ...and the milk's in me.

The French had some snazzy outfits. I think they might have been L'Acoste. The American ones looked like they were knitted during breaks at a bingo fest.

The projection floor was really something. I'd like to see this get adapted into a new theater experience worldwide. New form of movies?

I'm enjoying the mass of #NBCfail from every social media site. Thanks for streaming the Olympics, assholes. All their sites say "watch now free online!!"...for registered paid subscribers. So you can watch online for free...if you already have it on your tv.

Yeah, I'm really hurting by not having cable. I've been watching the recaps in the evening, but it super sucks.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm enjoying the mass of #NBCfail from every social media site. Thanks for streaming the Olympics, assholes. All their sites say "watch now free online!!"...for registered paid subscribers. So you can watch online for free...if you already have it on your tv.
    ESPN did the same thing. I used to be able to watch NBA games that were airing on ESPN on my ESPN app through my PS3 and now they changed it where you can only do it if you are a cable subscriber. Why would I be watching it through my PS3 app if I already have cable? It makes no sense.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Yep, add another one bummed to that.

By the way, found it hilarious that a bobsledder had to kick his bathroom door apart because he couldn't get out.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I also find it hilarious that his bathroom door appears to be made of butcher paper and kleenex.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I also find it hilarious that his bathroom door appears to be made of butcher paper and kleenex.
    I put the over/under of kick amounts at 2.5

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Slopestyle is cool on its own, but that nesting doll is THE BEST.

Maybe because I don't generally watch athletics, but I get upset when the athletes screw up, especially if they get emotional.

And MUST they reshow every injury five times in slow motion? It's grotesque.

The sister of my good friend from high school came in 12th today in the Ladies Cross Country Skiathlon (Liz Stephen). Hoping she's able to nail a medal this year.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

This extraordinary Russian girl-child skater does beautiful work, but she has a creepy dead stare. I think she may get her strength from ritual blood-letting.

How are you watching Mara?

Or just whatever's on NBC?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    ESPN did the same thing. I used to be able to watch NBA games that were airing on ESPN on my ESPN app through my PS3 and now they changed it where you can only do it if you are a cable subscriber. Why would I be watching it through my PS3 app if I already have cable? It makes no sense.
    Its downright ridiculous. Good luck surviving the next wave of media advancement, dickheads.

I've only seen these doors on American TV and movies before, I think, so it must be a new trend.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    How are you watching Mara?

Or just whatever's on NBC?
    Yeah, I watch the highlight stuff at night. With my antenna. I'm cool like that.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I've only seen these doors on American TV and movies before, I think, so it must be a new trend.
    The reason they're on television and film is because something that flimsy would only be used as a temporary door-- like on a film set. If someone put a door like that in a house, it would mean your contractor is ripping you off.

We have digital cable, so not only do we have the coverage on NBC, but also the NBC Sports Network, and even during certain times MSNBC, CNBC, USA.

An Olympics fanatic's dream. I am not going to get any work done these next two weeks.

The reason they're on television and film is because something that flimsy would only be used as a temporary door-- like on a film set. If someone put a door like that in a house, it would mean your contractor is ripping you off.
    Yeah, The Shining used one of those doors and they said Nicholson tore it up so badly that they ended up putting a real door instead.

Meanwhile, to watch live last night, I was streaming a Russian channel. Even they have the same lame stories that take 20 minutes until you get to the actual game. I don't know which downhill racer they were talking about...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I was thinking more in terms of cheap alternatives to solid wooden core doors for indoor use. I googled a bit and they're all over the place. I can't think of a reason for not having them in a large facility. Hollow core doors

Unless, of course, you paid for solid core, which is a whole different matter.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    NBC's coverage always seems like a wasted effort. I'm able to see it, but it's hardly ever anything live or excitingly relevant.

CBC here basically has events on all day and night (except for important things like news and... NHL Hockey), so even just through antenna I feel like they have everything covered, even if there is more to be shown on TSN and stuff.

Liked what I saw of the opening ceremonies, mainly the super surreal stuff. I mean, there was actually visually surreal stuff that was well done, and then there was the constantly blaring EDM with remixes of the Trololo song and Tatu over expensive Russian history lessons or unicorns and palm trees, whatever they felt like at any given moment.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Heh, the story of the guy being stabbed to death over the misshap of the Olympic rings is thankfully, untrue.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Heh, the story of the guy being stabbed to death over the misshap of the Olympic rings is thankfully, untrue.
    So far, E. So far.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    NBC's coverage always seems like a wasted effort. I'm able to see it, but it's hardly ever anything live or excitingly relevant.
    What do you mean? NBCSports is airing all the live coverage from like, 3AM to 3PM EST every day and the online coverage is practically 100% of all events.

Not really their fault it is 9 hours ahead and impossible to see in primetime.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    What do you mean? NBCSports is airing all the live coverage from like, 3AM to 3PM EST every day and the online coverage is practically 100% of all events.

Not really their fault it is 9 hours ahead and impossible to see in primetime.
    I just mean I'm in Canada, so all I can see of the American coverage is the main NBC network stuff, and it just feels a bit pointless with the affiliate system in the U.S. for networks really only being able to program themselves in primetime or weekend afternoons, which when it comes to Olympics, just amounts to highlights and events with the best American medal chances. The time different does mess things up for live coverage, but it's just a bit odd for the usual shows to be on in the daytime.

It's a lot different here, since the CBC shuts out almost their entire schedule to focus on showing as many Olympic events as they can, with our ESPN-type channel picking up the slack for whatever conflicts there are with the main network (but I don't have cable so I haven't seen that side of it this time around). Sure, when Canadians win big the airtime features that more heavily and those events are likely to get repeated, but at least they also managed to show it live the first time.

I actually have no idea what our online streaming situation is, but I haven't even thought about needing it considering how much the CBC fits into its constant over-the-air broadcast.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast